Eric the IF

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

36 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Grace Randolph said the exact opposite - that they were disappointed with how it tested and are delaying for reshoots. Granted, both not-great sources, so take your pick I guess.

Given how things have been lately that prob make sense, but yeah none of them are that reliable. It kinda makes sense tho if it´s true. Gives it four more months to work on it.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, Willowra said:

220-270M Dom

280-360M OS

Total 500-630M

4.4M likes on three big Marvel Instagram accounts and Brie Larson's account after one day, I think I should raise my prediction.

270-300 Dom

300-360 OS

Total 570-660M

Edited by Willowra

27 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

This video is wild - love it

Yep.  It's a classic for a reason.  Mind, I already knew a lot of the points in the vid, but the presentation helped crystalize it for me.

And, like I get it, I know why people clamor so much for test screening info.  We're/people are desparate for signs of a film's quality that isn't coming directly from a studio marketing department or being spoon fed to the entertainment press.  Plus, the secrecy angle makes it look like we're getting Insider Information/Being Connected.

The problem is... The problem is, "test screenings" aren't the greatest way to judge whether or not a finished film is actually going to be good.  It sounds like it should (hey, they're showing the film early to folks to get reactions — those reactions MUST mean something), but as the vid shows the info the studio/filmmakers are looking for doesn't really lend itself to telling us as much as we might think about what the final product will be like, even if test screenings don't change a thing.

Then there's the related problem mentioned at the end about who are actually at the test screenings.  With studios getting more and more paranoid about leaks/actually smelling their own farts and thinking it smells like roses buying into and embracing the spoiler-phobe culture when it comes to their movies, getting representative folks who won't necessarily feel bad about telling a fellow employee that the dude with the super tall hat needs to go is getting harder and harder.

Not that there's a simple solution to the above.  Not if you're trying to stop leaks as much as humanly possible that is.

(well, the "simple" solution is to find folks within the company who aren't afraid to give honest opinions — easier said than done though, especially since that still leaves the problem of a diminished/less representative sample of the actual GA to draw from)

So even if something does "test great" it kinda depends on who was actually at the test screening, if/how they're using cuts from that test, and just who is leaking this info in the first place.  And EVEN THEN, how the final film gets put together might not get the same reaction as even little changes here and there can have a deleterious affect on a movie.

Not that test screening rumors have no value.  Just not the value they're given by some. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

https://www.thewrap.com/marvels-wish-disney-november-box-office/

Article about The Marvels and Wish and it also mentions:

"Orignally set for release at the end of July, Disney has instead given that late summer release slot to Justin Simien’s “Haunted Mansion,” moving “The Marvels” to Nov. 10 to give more time for post-production to complete, according to studio insiders."

I´m guessing this wouldn´t have happened if Chapek was still here. Anyways happy to hear this. Hopefully those extra months can help make the movie the best version it can be. CGI in Ant-Man 3 reached an all time low... 

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

9 hours ago, thajdikt said:

https://www.thewrap.com/marvels-wish-disney-november-box-office/

Article about The Marvels and Wish and it also mentions:

"Orignally set for release at the end of July, Disney has instead given that late summer release slot to Justin Simien’s “Haunted Mansion,” moving “The Marvels” to Nov. 10 to give more time for post-production to complete, according to studio insiders."

I´m guessing this wouldn´t have happened if Chapek was still here. Anyways happy to hear this. Hopefully those extra months can help make the movie the best version it can be. CGI in Ant-Man 3 reached an all time low... 

Yeah, some of the effects in Ant Man 3 screamed "pushed out the door before they were really finished".

It was proably too late for Iger to change the release date for Ant Man..the contracts for release had already been signed....but glad he took this step with Marvels.

Of course if the scriipt has problems, no amount of post production time will help much.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 11:37 PM, Porthos said:

Yep.  It's a classic for a reason.  Mind, I already knew a lot of the points in the vid, but the presentation helped crystalize it for me.

And, like I get it, I know why people clamor so much for test screening info.  We're/people are desparate for signs of a film's quality that isn't coming directly from a studio marketing department or being spoon fed to the entertainment press.  Plus, the secrecy angle makes it look like we're getting Insider Information/Being Connected.

The problem is... The problem is, "test screenings" aren't the greatest way to judge whether or not a finished film is actually going to be good.  It sounds like it should (hey, they're showing the film early to folks to get reactions — those reactions MUST mean something), but as the vid shows the info the studio/filmmakers are looking for doesn't really lend itself to telling us as much as we might think about what the final product will be like, even if test screenings don't change a thing.

Then there's the related problem mentioned at the end about who are actually at the test screenings.  With studios getting more and more paranoid about leaks/actually smelling their own farts and thinking it smells like roses buying into and embracing the spoiler-phobe culture when it comes to their movies, getting representative folks who won't necessarily feel bad about telling a fellow employee that the dude with the super tall hat needs to go is getting harder and harder.

Not that there's a simple solution to the above.  Not if you're trying to stop leaks as much as humanly possible that is.

(well, the "simple" solution is to find folks within the company who aren't afraid to give honest opinions — easier said than done though, especially since that still leaves the problem of a diminished/less representative sample of the actual GA to draw from)

So even if something does "test great" it kinda depends on who was actually at the test screening, if/how they're using cuts from that test, and just who is leaking this info in the first place.  And EVEN THEN, how the final film gets put together might not get the same reaction as even little changes here and there can have a deleterious affect on a movie.

Not that test screening rumors have no value.  Just not the value they're given by some. 

And Test Screenings are totally different then Advance Screenings.

38 minutes ago, belblazer said:

So... are these news from Sneider real or not? He was always reliable and has a great history with leaks (and recently broke the Beetlejuice 2 news). 

its real, at least from what he has heard, he's not just making stuff up. Brie being difficult is well known, but her not getting along with cast members is probably just gossip.

1 hour ago, belblazer said:

So... are these news from Sneider real or not? He was always reliable and has a great history with leaks (and recently broke the Beetlejuice 2 news). 

Sexists and misogynists can be reliable for some other things; it's not hard to understand. There was a similar type of scooper known as Jeremy Conrad; he was also reliable, but he turned out to be an alt-right racist and misogynist, so Marvelspoilers reddit blocked that person.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 2