Eric the IF

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

rooting for this to fail ever since Nia Dacosta went on Blank Check to talk about Carpenter's The Fog and said it was boring and that she was on her phone the whole time.🙏🙏

This is a level of petty grudge holding that I can really respect 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly shocked this didn't move sooner considering Disney has nothing over the holidays besides Wish. Should do better over the holidays than at the end of a packed summer.

After Strange World's utter collapse they'd be nuts to bet the entire holiday corridor on an animated joint. They needed a safety cushion, and even with franchise fatigue the Marvel brand can easily serve that purpose.

9 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Forgot this movie existed lmao. If it sticks (and a decent chance it will) nov could get awkward but I am sort of thinking flopalicious numbers for the prequel in a dead genre so I can see why Disney wasn’t too concerned.

That Hunger Games prequel is fucked. That's all I'll say on that.

17 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

This has always made a lot of sense to delay after blade vacated. Helps ease up the summer logjam too.  

Notably they took the Veterans Day slot again with thanksgiving in 3rd weekend, instead of Ragnarok’s one week earlier release on an identical calendar. This makes it tough for competition to stake out the 3rd or the 17th so sort of plays defense for wish in a funny way. Will also boost OW (and so hurt legs).

Well that's because Dune already has that first weekend. With that and Hunger Games on the 17th, that's basically your competition.

11 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Forgot this movie existed lmao. If it sticks (and a decent chance it will) nov could get awkward but I am sort of thinking flopalicious numbers for the prequel in a dead genre so I can see why Disney wasn’t too concerned.

With Nostalgia being the ultimate drug, I still think it’s possible Hunger Games breaks out and does 350m+. I just want to gouge trailer reactions before making a decision:

Me thinks:

Dune - 65/175

Marvels - 95/250

Hunger Games - 115/270

• ...wtf 2

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The best decision made with this film by far. Even more so than getting a new director. It should've been delayed ages ago, since it otherwise would have died in the summer logjam. Wakanda Forever did relatively well on that November slot, so I can see this movie benefit from it too. Bizarre choice to announce this on Quantumania's opening weekend though. And I still think the indifference towards the first film as well as emerging franchise fatigue could hurt it. But this delay should help a lot with said fatigue.

Either a smoke screen to change the conversation of Antman’s terrible reviews or announcing it on a Friday to bury the news.

Smart choice, thank God papa Feige isn't pretending everything is amazing 

I kinda believe this was already decided based on Quantumania reception and numbers so far

Hoping the movie will be nice, i really like Nia as director, i'm rooting for her success, and the cast is lovely as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YM! said:

With Nostalgia being the ultimate drug, I still think it’s possible Hunger Games breaks out and does 350m+. I just want to gouge trailer reactions before making a decision:

Me thinks:

Dune - 65/175

Marvels - 95/250

Hunger Games - 115/270

Dune looks good

Marvels 140/350 (please be good lol)

Snakebirds or whatever 60/170

Maybe Marvels over dune+thg could be a fun club if they stay but that seems very unlikely to me

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Wasn’t some one saying on here for months that it should move to November? And is this first time we got a poster without a trailer in a long time?

I mean I've been saying for months The Marvels should move to Nov.  Now that it has...

Kraven should move to MLK 2024
Dune should move to Oct. 6
The Marvels should move to Nov. 3rd

Anyways am cautiously excited for Marvels. I loved Kamala in Ms. Marvel and I do like DeCosta’s work (even if Candyman was mediocre). It also helps DeCosta has screenwriting experience and if it’s a fun standalone I think it’s possible for 300m+. 

8 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Dune looks good

Marvels 140/350 (please be good lol)

Snakebirds or whatever 60/170

Maybe Marvels over dune+thg could be a fun club if they stay but that seems very unlikely to me

I was assuming a quasi worst case scenario for Marvels is it follows QM, Strange and Thor but I do think it hit a bit of a zeitgeist too like Wakanda and BP. Honestly Imma up it to 115/280. At Black Widow reception, I’m thinking 300+. If really great 350m.

I think there’s room for a Hunger Games breakout. The YA craze was big when I was an early teen and nostalgia being the best drug, I think there’s potential. We’ve yet to have a demographic breakout since the pandemic in movies for younger women and the teen drama, angst, and romance could be big drivers, especially because we haven’t had much of those. I could see a mini Maverick of sorts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YM! said:

Me thinks:

Dune - 65/175

Marvels - 95/250

Hunger Games - 115/270

It's been 8 years since the last Hunger Games movie. That to me is more "delayed sequel/prequel, striking after the iron is cold" territory, rather than something that can take advantage of nostalgia. But who knows?

18 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Either a smoke screen to change the conversation of Antman’s terrible reviews or announcing it on a Friday to bury the news.

I feel like there's been a lot prepared by Marvel/Disney for this weekend, in anticipation of less-than-stellar media surrounding Quantumania, be it this or Feige's talk of the future beyond anything in immediate release date.

49 minutes ago, cookie said:

That solves Disney’s lack of year-end releases besides Wish, at least. Thinking Dune moves now.

Moves up or moves back?

There are some people speculating this means X-Men 97 is cancelled but I think that's a unique circumstance in Marvels schedule. Animated, probably no MCU connections like What If had, it's not likely gonna interfere with staying in the fall where it is.

Assuming Feige and Marvel realize they need to start really delivering some crowd-pleasers, I wonder if this means there might be some major reshoots for this depending on how the movie is playing right now.

I also wonder if they're going to start canceling some TV shows they've already announced. Would they go so far as to not release a TV show they've already filmed if it's not up to stuff? 

I think the move is a good thing but I also really like that late July (or even early August) date for Marvel movies. Hopefully they stick with July 26 for Thunderbolts but at this point who knows.... Maybe all these movies get delayed after Marvel realizes they have some serious work to do.

I'm the flip side, November this year is looking quite the opposite of the sad state of affairs in 2022. It's good for November to be a healthy movie month leading into the holiday season, as it traditionally is. Last year was pathetic.