Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a single individual argue that ZSJL is better than the theatrical cut because it’s longer. 

No, but there are shit ton of people who now think any time a scene is deleted the original must secretly be something great the studio arbitrarily ruined, which is why we have stupid shit like the Ayer Cut and the Webb Cut and the Schumacher cut and so on for literally any movie that's ever done reshoots, basically 

• Like 1

Regarding this topic specifically, I have no doubt the Ayer Cut would be better than the theatrical because the theatrical is possibly the worst edited film I've seen in my life.

The Snyder JL cut is better, for sure, but not because it's longer, but because it flows better (despite him making Wonder Woman a psychotic murderer)

I would love a ZSJL cut that's 90 minutes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

No, but there are shit ton of people who now think any time a scene is deleted the original must secretly be something great the studio arbitrarily ruined, which is why we have stupid shit like the Ayer Cut and the Webb Cut and the Schumacher cut and so on for literally any movie that's ever done reshoots, basically 

In the case of the Ayer and Schumacher cuts, those movies were famously the victims of studio meddling. It’s not like petitions to release alternate cuts of movies didn’t exist before the Snyder Cut. That was how we got the Richard Donner cut of Superman II. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Train said:

This thread goes off topic every 5 second lmao

The mods will freeze this thread until the pre-sales starts. This is what happens when you get rid of the FanBoys thread. Akin to the Tumblr people having to migrate over Twitter.

• Like 1

Maybe the skeptics are right about this movie. I’m getting it. There is virtually no reason this movie will have financial success. 
I’ve looked at comps that are appropriate and the best one is Hero At Large (1980). That did $15.9 million. With solid to good reviews, The Marvels can squeak by with some late December legs. Won’t beat HaL in raw tickets sold obviously. 

LOL all these hot takes about the running time. If the story doesn't need more why stretch it? Overlong running time isn't a sign of quality but indulgence. Also, short rt = fast turnover. They can sell 2 shows for this and only 1 for Oppenheimer. Guess which scenrio is preferable to cinemas? If anything, short running time locked 700M WW.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL all these hot takes about the running time. If the story doesn't need more why stretch it? Overlong running time isn't a sign of quality but indulgence. Also, short rt = fast turnover. They can sell 2 shows for this and only 1 for Oppenheimer. Guess which scenrio is preferable to cinemas? If anything, short running time locked 700M WW.

Locked?

Hd Pursed Lips GIF

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The 2000's pre-TDK/Iron Man had a lot of them in the 90 minute range, which mistakenly has associated with the runtime as the problem and not, y'know, having Halle Berrys Catwomans enemy be someone with bulletproof makeup 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Dark Phoenix fans RISE UP

I feel if Marvel thought this was a wreck they'd need to bury (like how Fox saw Dark Phoenix and New Mutants) they'd take advantage of the strike to delay it again to fix it later. Plus reportedly the test screenings (not just the Marvel in house ones) were strong, so it might just be on the short side.

Edited by SpiderByte

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I feel if Marvel thought this was a wreck they'd need to bury (like how Fox saw Dark Phoenix and New Mutants) they'd take advantage of the strike to delay it again to fix it later. Plus reportedly the test screenings (not just the Marvel in house ones) were strong, so it might just be on the short side.

I seriously doubt the movie is a “wreck” by those standards. Could be subpar ala Ant-Man 3 or Thor L&T. Who knows? 

If it is subpar, I think keeping its current release date is the best idea as it will be the most notable blockbuster in over 2 months and will have little competition initially. 

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Ant-Man 3 was a wreck and they didn't bury that. It was released and left to die on its own.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Its WW numbers will depend on the opening weekend. If DOM OW is around 80m, this won't cross 500m WW; if it's 100m or above, then it could do 500m+. More shows per screen doesn't guarantee a higher box office, as the box office depends on interest in the movie. 

16 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Webb cut was mostly better though, it's not some blind assumption.

On 8/29/2023 at 6:44 PM, ChipDerby said:

I also like to say things with absolutely no evidence or any sort of backing for my claims!

Chip, you are massive Marvel fanboy, of course you are gonna defend it no matter what. I just follow patterns and common practices in the industry, they are all the same since the inception of Hollywood. There's no chance 90 minutes runtime was "part of the plan", even Morbius was longer. 99% chance I'm not wrong here, you'll see it for yourself in November. Again, if! less than 100 minutes runtime is true.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Chip, you are massive Marvel fanboy, of course you are gonna defend it no matter what. I just follow patterns and common practices in the industry, they are all the same since the inception of Hollywood. There's no chance 90 minutes runtime was "part of the plan", even Morbius was longer. 99% chance I'm not wrong here, you'll see it for yourself in November. Again, if! less than 100 minutes runtime is true.

Yeah, I'm firmly in the "we need shorter blockbusters" camp, but 98 minutes raises a red flag because it's shorter than any other MCU movie by a decent margin. And the current incumbent (The Incredible Hulk at 112) was butchered in the editing room. There's no way that was the intended length of the film. 

• Like 4