Eric Quinn

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

45 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Wow, just...total abject lies. Not even a little bit true. The 2000s is the time of Catwoman, Elektra, Blade Trinity, Last Stand, X-Men Origins, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider, Rise of the Silver Surfer, stuff like Nolans Batman were the exceptions, not the norm. I have no idea where you got this bullshit from.

People who think like Love and Thunder or Blue Beetle are the worst of all time did not have to suffer through fucking Barakapool, where the movies are made by people with active contempt for the source material.

Yeah, that's such a weird revisionism, I don't even know what to do with it. The 90s/00s style of superheroes pre-MCU is infamous for how often these movies completely missed the mark. It's as you said, some of them were literally made by people who actively despised the source material, it's crazy that people would think the average quality of them was higher.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bob Train said:

That would be a great thing. Back in the 2000s, when only one or two Marvel / DC movies were put out a year, the quality was much higher.

Raimi's Spider-Man 1 & 2,  Nolan's first 2 Batman movies, even Iron Man and X2 and are better than most CBM released in the last 5 years by a healthy margin in my opinion. Only a few movies like Infinity War, The Batman, etc. come close to the level they used to be.

Nowadays they have dissolved into factory-made, generic, and overreliant on CGI. Even the just-okay movies look better in comparison because of that.

I don't necessarily disagree about the movies you posted being better than what we get today (don't think begins is that great myself) but SpiderByte is right, you're doing a lot of revisionism by leaving out all the outright dogshit cbms that came out around those times.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Wow, that's racist as fuck! Kamala isn't even Palestinian!

The @dudalbstatement is a tad bit far fetch and weird  conclusion to gather from what's happening right now .

But wouldn't really call it racist tbh.  

All it could be is  just " a bad ,questionable or poorly informed take" . We don't need  to put buzzwords in everything .

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

All it could be is  just " a bad ,questionable or poorly informed take" . We don't need  to put buzzwords in everything .

Nope, it's racist. It's saying that because one of the characters is Muslim it'll hurt the box office. Kinda hard to not see it as anything other than that.

Wow, just...total abject lies. Not even a little bit true. The 2000s is the time of Catwoman, Elektra, Blade Trinity, Last Stand, X-Men Origins, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider, Rise of the Silver Surfer, stuff like Nolans Batman were the exceptions, not the norm. I have no idea where you got this bullshit from.

People who think like Love and Thunder or Blue Beetle are the worst of all time did not have to suffer through fucking Barakapool, where the movies are made by people with active contempt for the source material.

Personally, I would take entertainingly bad moves over generic, regurgitated movies like Black Adam, Thor 4, Shazam 2, Flash, Quantumania, etc.

The lows may have been lower back then, but the highs were significantly higher.

Edited by Bob Train

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Personally, I would take entertainingly bad moves over generic, regurgitated movies like Black Adam, Thor 4, Shazam 2, Flash, Quantumania, etc.

You are looking at those through a lot of rose colored glasses because very few of those are "entertainingly bad". I dare you to sit through Jonah Hex.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob Train said:

There are no movies post-pandemic between $240m and $290m DOM. If you look at pre-pandemic (2016-2019), Illumination movies (Grinch, DM3, Sing) and Moana are the only movies to fall in this range.

I believe Marvels will fall under this range, as it seems only animated movies usually fall into it, and I am highly doubtful it can do >$290m DOM, as that would require an OW bigger than Quantumania, which was a Kang vehicle.

I'm in minority here but I think that  interest in Kang was wildly overestimated, at least as far as GA and some less nerdy fans go. I think it's because Marvel overestimated the interest in their D+ shows and made a number of movies with D+ characters expecting them to become very popular and therefore an asset/added value by the time those movies came out.

Being a bad movie didn't help Quantumania but I honestly think that Marvel miscalculated with Kang. Well, D+ in general but they really want to build the whole overarching conflict around this guy and I don't think there's enough interest. IMO< no one from D+ should be on their Priority Hero or Priority Villain list. Side characters? sure. But next Stark, Rogers and Thanos? Not gonna happen. 

So my point is that "TM can't open with ___ cause QM couldn't despite Kang" isn't the best equation. CM is still more known than him and remains central to the plot.

Edited by Valonqar

That comment against Ms. Marvel is just stunningly out of line. If someone said that about any other group they would rightfully be called out for bigotry. It's funny that I have spent 22 years being attacked by loving Christians who say that you shouldn't lump them all together but they have no trouble lumping all Muslim people together. I can't even have fun in a freaking The Marvels thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amazing how this threads brief period of reasonable expectations is now completely gone. From "not as bad as Quantumania but not as big as Guardians 3" to "lowest opening ever" and "Marvels going to cancel everything and only release one thing a year"

Wasn't Charlie "lowest opening ever" for admits...which would be in the $75M range, wouldn't it?  That's about the same as the $71-$117M range...

I mean, who knows though?  My Cinemarks still won't set for presales, and that's unusual.  They had KOTFM set 5 days before presales started and most Marvels get set 2-3 days before...

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

But Kang was introduced in the movies. He was cast for Quantumania, and then also included in Loki, not the other way around. He Who Remains is a Kang but he is not the same character.

Yes but he was first introduced in Loki (D+) and this whole variant shit is just too nerdy and has no stakes (there are always variants that survive, etc). I really don't think that multiverse is turning out as they hoped NWH one-off notwithstanding. But like I said I'm in minority here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Marvels under $182m domestic & Aquaman under $143m domestic or it's a bust

If Marvels fails to hit $183m DOM, but FNAF does, then we would have 6/10 movies in the DOM top 10 for this year as non-sequels/non-cinematic universe.

Last year, we only had 1/10 as a non-sequel (The Batman).

Excluding 2020, that would be tied for highest of any year since 2005.

And could be as high as 7/10 if FNAF, Wish and Migration all make >$187m DOM while Marvels and Aquabro 2 miss the mark.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mean, who knows though?  My Cinemarks still won't set for presales, and that's unusual.  They had KOTFM set 5 days before presales started and most Marvels get set 2-3 days before...

All but three of my locals (not counting the drive in) have sets up already.  At approximately 160 showtimes at the moment, which is a little on the low side for an initial Marvel set recently but not exactly tiny for a large release.

(Approximate because it was an eye count and I had to keep not counting separate DBOX showings [which are exploding locally thanks to Cinemark converting a bunch of their high profile theaters locally :--/])

• Like 1