Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

25 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Brie is a strong actress who does not deserve the hate she gets.  The haters could never get a girl like her anyway 

Are you some all seeing  AI or something 😅.

"This whole incel angle gets a tad bit exaggerated at times.

WE would like to picture them as typical  neckbeards stereotype we have in our minds 

but the more haunting reality they may just be poeple who look "normal",have normal or good jobs , some alpha male chuds all pent up in nice mansions or houses with entitlement complex with nothing much to do but waste their time on internet. etc....

Sometimes most sinister or toxic poeple may look pretty  normal while hiding some nasty attitudes or beliefs

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't think critics are going to have a vendetta against The Marvels. Everyone knew that Blue Beetle was going to bomb and it still got passable reviews from most critics

True, but there weren't articles saying "DC is in trouble and Blue Beetle can't save it" and someone with a NYT Best Selling book tour about DCs fall from Glory after TDK

Edited by SpiderByte

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Are you some all seeing  AI or something 😅.

"This whole incel angle gets a tad bit exaggerated at times.

WE would like to picture them as typical  neckbeards stereotype we have in our minds 

but the more haunting reality they may just be poeple who look "normal",have normal or good jobs , some alpha male chuds all pent up in nice mansions or houses with entitlement complex with nothing much to do but waste their time on internet. etc....

Sometimes most sinister or toxic poeple may look pretty  normal while hiding some nasty attitudes or beliefs

I know a guy with a PHD and looks amazing and is super rich and gets lot of girls but hates on disney and shit lol 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

True, but there weren't articles saying "DC is in trouble and Blue Beetle can't save it" and someone with a NYT Best Selling book tour about DCs fall from Glory after TDK

I mean there were plenty of articles this year about how bad the DC movies were bombing and rightfully so. It was a big story. That book is not about Marvel's downfall. It's just about Marvel in general. The good and the bad and unfortunately Marvel is going through a bad streak. I get your frustration at the whole thing. Even I admit that it is all pure negativity. If you love Marvel movies then this isn't a fun time. I like most Marvel movies but I have never been the one to defend all of their decisions and I do believe that the media went too easy on the MCU sometimes and that was frustrating to me. I'm not saying that you're Movie Bob and that you're defending all of their decisions by the way. I would have no way of knowing that. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

I know a guy with a PHD and looks amazing and is super rich and gets lot of girls but hates on disney and shit lol 

Exactly my point . Don't what to go way off topic. Poeple you tend to find in things like  stalking ,sex offenders  and sexism related stuff etc... tend to be well off ,even socially likable and attractive .

Lots of wolves in sheep's clothing.

@Torontofan for clarity not saying that guy with the PHD is like this. Some people may just have robust  sex lives . 

Hating Disney doesn't colerate with some of the disturbing stuff that happens I've mentioned above. Having criticisms of Disney as long as it's reasonable and communicated properly is fine

Was just trying to give example of how some of the most vile things maybe done by seemingly " sane or admirable poeple"

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I mean there were plenty of articles this year about how bad the DC movies were bombing and rightfully so. It was a big story. That book is not about Marvel's downfall. It's just about Marvel in general. The good and the bad and unfortunately Marvel is going through a bad streak. I get your frustration at the whole thing. Even I admit that it is all purity negativity. If you love Marvel movies then this isn't a fun time. I like most Marvel movies but I have never been the one to defend all of their decisions and I do believe that the media went too easy on the MCU sometimes and that was frustrating to me. I'm not saying that you're Movie Bob and that you're defending all of their decisions by the way. I would have no way of knowing that. 

Yep. The book is honestly pretty complimentary for the most part, but fully willing to dive into all sides of Marvel Studios, even the ugly stuff. It's definitely not a hit piece. I have zero desire to jump into any of the Marvel/DC stuff but to imply that Warner Bros handling of DC hasn't inspired plenty of critical and at times overly dramatic coverage is...not correct.

Edited by ZeroHour
  • Like 3

So, to bring some positivity to this thread: the ECHO trailer is surprisingly dope. Good bloody violence(TV MA), good cinematography, and a dark tone. Secret Invasion had a good trailer too but I’ll definitely be watching in January!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DInky said:

You think movie critics are conspiring to give it negative reviews?

If anything, all the negative press will likely lead critics to be kinder in order to pushback against the haters. See, e.g., critical reception of Ghostbusters 2016 and Rings of Power. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So, to bring some positivity to this thread: the ECHO trailer is surprisingly dope. Good bloody violence(TV MA), good cinematography, and a dark tone. Secret Invasion had a good trailer too but I’ll definitely be watching in January!

Not a big commitment either.  2.5 hours to get through the entire season.

2 hours ago, DInky said:

Not a big commitment either.  2.5 hours to get through the entire season.

Which begs the question...why is this not a 50-80 million budget movie then? 

2 hours ago, Squire said:

If anything, all the negative press will likely lead critics to be kinder in order to pushback against the haters. See, e.g., critical reception of Ghostbusters 2016 and Rings of Power. 

I dunno. It seems like it COULD BE a turning point with this - the pile-on for a Goliath that finally finds itself in its knees. Everyone might be going "yes, finally we can let it rip" and it gets trashed. I think it's gonna be a mediocre movie and reception, but I wouldn't be shocked if the level of panning is beyond anything the MCU has seen.

2 hours ago, Squire said:

it'll land in that 70%-80% sweet spot on RT with tons of 3/5s :lol:

• Like 2

The funny part is that the boom of rotten tomatoes was actually because of pop culture reviewers. You can clearly see how movies starting to have 400-500 reviews instead of 200-250 is aligned with the growing of MCU. The press that mostly counts for reviewing this movies are fans of them. 

Is funny reading previously excuses about a possible bad reception being related with the press hating Marvel even if a big portion of them are actually fans, and nothing to do with the product being actually questionable.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The funny part is that the boom of rotten tomatoes was actually because of pop culture reviewers. You can clearly see how movies starting to have 400-500 reviews instead of 200-250 is aligned with the growing of MCU. The press that mostly counts for reviewing this movies are fans of them. 

Is funny reading previously excuses about a possible bad reception being related with the press hating Marvel even if a big portion of them are actually fans, and nothing to do with the product being actually questionable.

Yep, a ton of entertainment sites and YouTubers are practically free promo for the Marvel/Disney machine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, I always chuckle at friends who dismiss critics as “out of touch snobs” when it’s like, um you know like 80% of the critics on RT are total pop culture movie geeks just like you and I right? The notion of old film scholar “purists” as the primary movie critics is from like the 20th century. Super outdated. It’s also why RT is super predictive of WOM in the 21st century, because again, a lot of these people basically ARE the general public. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Can you be more specific? You can hate on Disney and not be part of the toxic masculinity bigot club. Maybe he just doesn’t like a lot of Disney films since they’re not his thing? Just like I - a Kinsey 6 gay hispanic/Native American man with very prominent female figures in my life since birth - don’t think Brie has been good in this role and think the character is the poster child for granola blockbuster protagonists. It’s as simple as that for me, no ulterior “agenda.”

12 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Loki's finale and The Marvels landing at the same time is going to make the latter look embarrassing by comparison. Just look at the bold filmmaking, real and lived-in sets, stellar acting and excellent tension in Loki and compare it to the generally cookie cutter CGI greenscreen action seen in the Marvels promotional material so far. The recent report about the viewership data for Loki Season 2 pisses me off so much, because it proves that the larger meltdown of the Marvel brand is immensely overshadowing it. I really hope more people give it a chance a few years down the line, when Marvel is in a better place, because you're right, so far it is one of the best stories in the entire franchise.

It's strange that the last 2 episodes of the series were poorly received by critics, ep 4 has a 64% and ep 5 has a 57%,  and they're such good episodes 

Edited by Welcbr12
  • Like 1