Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

22 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Funny how the predictions gave gone so low that I almost feel like the movie might "overperform". Opening to $70m would be a massive drop from the previous entry but at this point, it would legitimately feel like a "win".

Problem is I don't know how that happens. Realistically for 70M this needs 10M previews, 9 if you're feeling real generous with the IM, unrealistically so I'd say. The way comps are trending this is going 6-7 and it doesn't even have any sort of catalyst to help out until the very end of the presales cycle so they will keep sliding.

Like, 70M is eternals and in no sample is this even close to eternals.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

srserghsegh.png?ex=6558e0a2&is=65466ba2&

I don't see what people are talking about. It looks just like a very similar shot from GotG 3. 
Not to mention here are some other shots where I think the CGI is about as good as you could possibly ask for. Like that City just straight up looks real (hell, I'm impressed by the fact that it looks like Carol actually has a cat on her shoulder. She's allergic to cats so it's certainly not there. Idk if it's fully CGI or just Comped on. Screenshot_2023-11-04_120901.png?ex=6558

Screenshot_2023-11-04_120817.png?ex=6558

Screenshot_2023-11-04_120726.png?ex=6558

It doesn’t look similar to GOTG3 at all 

Completely different (and better) lightning, which is the problem is most of these recent MCU movies shot with the Mandalorian tech. Lightning is a tricky thing with this tech and MCU directors are having a hard time doing it, just watch Thor 4 and Ant Man 3 

It works for landscapes, like the ones you posted. Put characters in front of it, and it looks weird, like the Brie flying shot.

Guardians was made traditionally and i’m sorry but it looks way better 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This was a very predictable bomb. As I said a month ago, this film has no draw and I wasn’t sure who the target demo was… 

I am so sorry for thinking $40M was impossible

I underestimated how much people didn't give a shit about this movie

Blue Beetle is gonna look like a hit now (at least in box office/budget ratio)

Marvel created a movie everyone wanted to see (Avengers: Endgame) and a movie nobody wanted to see (The Marvels). 

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be

• Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This was a very predictable bomb. As I said a month ago, this film has no draw and I wasn’t sure who the target demo was… 

I admit the people who were predicting flop city from the beginning are looking to be correct. I think the target demo this time around is supposed to be women but as Charlie's Angels 2019 and Birds of Prey has proven, women are not going to show up for your kick ass lady team up movie just because it exists. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jking123 said:

so when are the big dates for next week then? Premiere Thursday, social media embargo Tuesday , review embargo Wednesday?

Not sure about the premiere but social media embargo lifts Tuesday 9:00pm PT and review embargo lifts Wednesday 9:00am PT. So only a 12-hour window between social media reactions and reviews.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I admit the people who were predicting flop city from the beginning are looking to be correct. I think the target demo this time around is supposed to be women but as Charlie's Angels 2019 and Birds of Prey has proven, women are not going to show up for your kick ass lady team up movie just because it exists. 

I feel like the people who predicted this would flop simply wished it would flop. They didn't have anything to back up their prediction other than their own bias.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

29 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Gunn just knows how to work with CGI in a way most directors on these projects don't.

I think he mentioned a few times before that he waits until the script is as finalized and complete as possible before filming. In fact he even touted that as a selling point in his upcoming DC universe. And you can see the benefits of that approach when you compare Guardians 3 to the rest of the recent Marvel fare.

Comparing episodes 2 and 3 of the current Loki season to the remaining three that have been released so far is also beneficial, as its head writer Eric Martin was down with COVID during the production of those two episodes, thus being overseen by the visual effects supervisor and production designer respectively. This goes a long way in explaining why the pacing is so odd in those, thus making them significantly weaker episodes compared to the rest released so far, which Benson and Moorhead directed and Martin was able to oversee.

@BadOlCatSylvester

I remember when TheFlatLannister said "$40M OW will not surprise me" and then everyone (including me) was like "nah there's no way it's only going to do $40M." You, however, said "maybe his armchair prediction is correct"

You, my friend, were right. You were completely right.

You, @Relevation, and @Asyulus are the three most knowledgeable users on this forum.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, DInky said:

I feel like the people who predicted this would flop simply wished it would flop. They didn't have anything to back up their prediction other than their own bias.

You could say that about any prediction for any movie, whether the prediction is for good or bad box office. Why were so many predicting another billion dollar gross and denying that the first film's proximity to Endgame helped it? 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You could say that about any prediction for any movie, whether the prediction is for good or bad box office. Why were so many predicting another billion dollar gross and denying that the film's proximity to Endgame helped it? 

Yeah and also the whole "If Endgame hype helped Captain Marvel, then why didn't Ant-Man 2 make $1 billion?" argument didn't work because Captain Marvel was marketed as an essential viewing for Endgame whereas Ant-Man 2 was just marketed as. . ."Paul Rudd's 'he goes big and he goes small' adventures"

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Gunn just knows how to work with CGI in a way most directors on these projects don't.

Two aspects to this. Gunn knows how to meld practical and VFX. The whole final act of GOTG3 show this wonderfully (especially if you use Quantamania as a reference point) but Gunn clearly gets a free’r hand than other directors not to mention has the expertise. You can tell he’s using a lot of storyboarding and knows how to film on a sound stage.

I actually think The Marvels looks better than recent MCU fares but that specific shot of flying is bad but so easy to work with - every level of production should know how that scene lighting should work but in the MCU it feels like different teams work on different bits without a leader managing how they do that.

So whilst I dont think The Marvels looks terrible you still see the creaking of the overall machine but I do think they are trying to rectify that. Probably won’t help The Marvels though which is a shame.

I actually want to see this for the direction alone but that’s probably going to be from home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

@BadOlCatSylvester

I remember when TheFlatLannister said "$40M OW will not surprise me" and then everyone (including me) was like "nah there's no way it's only going to do $40M." You, however, said "maybe his armchair prediction is correct"

You, my friend, were right. You were completely right.

You, @Relevation, and @Asyulus are the three most knowledgeable users on this forum.

I don't think anyone else in this forum, myself included, is going to share that sentiment. Still, thanks for the shoutout! This coming week is going to be one of the most fun ones in this forum in quite some time. On Tuesday the 7th at 9 AM PT, the dam shall burst.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't think anyone else in this forum, myself included, is going to share that sentiment. Still, thanks for the shoutout! This coming week is going to be one of the most fun ones in this forum in quite some time. On Tuesday the 7th at 9 AM PT, the dam shall burst.

The blood pours when the review embargo lifts on Wednesday

Shining Stephen King GIF

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1