Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

This post from reddit regarding The Marvels really does make me wonder if it is the biggest problem facing the movie:

Agressive marketing is like suspension of disbelief and plot holes. You don't find it annoying if you like what it peddles but grates on you if you don't. People don't notice or don't mind plot holes and easily suspend the disbelief if they like something but zero on problems and think something's stupid and nonsense if they don't. 

Tl;dr version: Marketing is no miracle cure for movies that have nothing appealing to offer.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Back in my day, the "Marvel way of making movies" was about it being a smartly budgeted well oiled machine in opposition to sloppy, megabudgeted films like TASM 2 or Green Lantern. 

That is 7-8 years ago at this point.  Now its huge budgets and they will fix it in post just like the rest of Disney live action. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Their best movie and the movie that launched the franchise into INFINITY AND BEYOND happened under his leadership. 

Kevin was running the MCU still, He was just under Ike instead of Iger/Horn(and whoever replaced Horn). Only thing they did was remove the middle man so no need to give Ike credit for any of those films. You can credit him for the cheap snacks at the premieres back then though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Saw a “65-85m” OW predict on the prior page and it’s wild that instantly made me think “sky high fever dream.” The way this movie is about to bomb… 

Well then what do you make of data via The Quorum showing that audience awareness and interest is tracking quite close to gotg3? Awareness for The Marvels is now at gotg's peak, and interest is only behind what gotg3 had the day before release by ~5 percentage points. 

To me this seems at face value, inconsistent with the presales. My best explanation is that audiences feel less pressure to buy tickets early to make sure they can get a seat, maybe in part due to low box office expectations for this film in particular, or maybe more because a lack of recent films that sell out has taught audiences they just don't need to go and buy tix several days ahead of time. 

Given this disparity, I think it's reasonable to do a little interpolation. 

Edit: the most recent prediction by The Quorum, which I assume is just based on their audience survey data, and not on pre-sales, is in fact at 80-89m, so I think my prediction is quite mild. 

Edited by Hypercortical
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Well then what do you make of data via The Quorum showing that audience awareness and interest is tracking quite close to gotg3? Awareness for The Marvels is now at gotg's peak, and interest is only behind what gotg3 had the day before release by ~5 percentage points. 

To me this seems at face value, inconsistent with the presales. My best explanation is that audiences feel less pressure to buy tickets early to make sure they can get a seat, maybe in part due to low box office expectations for this film in particular, or maybe more because a lack of recent films that sell out has taught audiences they just don't need to go and buy tix several days ahead of time. 

Given this disparity, I think it's reasonable to do a little interpolation. 

Edit: the most recent prediction by The Quorum, which I assume is just based on their audience survey data, and not on pre-sales, is in fact at 80-89m, so I think my prediction is quite mild. 

If you really believe that The Marvels is opening with 115M I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. 

yeah thats a weird ass trailer

can stunts like that end up hurting reception?

half of this seems more like a secret wars trailer 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Honestly, still think it looks fun and goofy in a good way. Also like the colors is more vibrant than in some MCU projects, and it looks like it have some cool action sequences. Curious about the reception, it really doesn’t looks bad.

Still, the montage in the beginning is very cringe-worthy and they using the avengers theme in the end is the most desperate and sad thing i saw this year.

• Like 1