Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, Squire said:

It’s funny how Flash getting a 63 on RT was a loss but Marvels currently sitting at 62 is a win. Looking like similar result at BO, though, and a real loss for Marvels considering the success the first one had. 

Cause WB promised it was the best superhero film ever and under delivered, while Disney acted like Marvels was unwatchable, and over performed with something mediocre.

Edited by Valencia

7 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Getting eviscerated OS. Might be over 50% domestic.

I think it's interesting how OS and DOM always line up whenever it comes time to reject a superhero movie. Like this year with Flash, BB, Shazam 2, and soon to be Marvels.

Will we ever get a superhero movie like the boxoffice is 90% DOM and 10% OS or the reverse?

Edited by Mojoguy

The OS outlook is absolutely brutal for this movie. Western Europe seemingly rejecting it entirely with shrinking China OW ranges from $11-13M is pretty astonishing to watch in real time. Unless Mexico has a surprise surge, it's dead before it even really left the gate overseas. 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Kind of funny if audiences are more harsher than the critics 

I can see the goofiness give the audience Love and Thunder flashbacks and causing them to recoil on a level not seen since Batman v Superman.

7 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Getting eviscerated OS. Might be over 50% domestic.

It already had a disadvantage there when they finalized 2 out of the 3 leads to be women of color, as movies starring them tend to take a hit in those territories.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I think it's interesting how OS and DOM always line up whenever it comes time to reject a superhero movie. Like this year with Flash, BB, Shazam 2, and soon to be Marvels.

Will we ever get a superhero movie like the boxoffice is 90% DOM and 10% OS or the reverse?

molder superhero movies made more domestic than overseas. 

27 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can see the goofiness give the audience Love and Thunder flashbacks and causing them to recoil on a level not seen since Batman v Superman.

It already had a disadvantage there when they finalized 2 out of the 3 leads to be women of color, as movies starring them tend to take a hit in those territories.

Let's not start blaming OS for rejecting a movie just because of sexism or racism. That path only leads to arguments and bans.

Barbie's the most girly movie of the year, completely aimed at women, and it's the biggest hit of 2023.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

If that's the case then it's not getting anywhere near The Flash's $270M; Domestic 95M + OS 95M for under $200M worldwide is possible. 

The Flash is actually a superb cape movie that was hampered by some meandering CGI and criminal main lead. 

As for the Marvels, I'm not sure, but I'll find out by this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Let's not start blaming OS for rejecting a movie just because of sexism or racism. That path only leads to arguments and bans.

Barbie's the most girly movie of year, and also biggest hit of 2023.

But that’s the thing … Barbie is a girlie movie that actually made girls and women engaged with it. I saw the movie 3 times and most of the audience was women and gay people, i know a lot of people with similar experiences. 

I think the problem with The Marvels is a problem that surrounds the whole MCU: is a man’s franchise. 

The first movie despite all the hate, is a very masculine movie. With it’s somewhat lavish cinematography, the always angry super strong badass woman, bud cop structure with Fury, military aesthetic … it’s a movie for woman that was made by design to please man. I mean, it worked, it was a big hit and most of the audience was male. 

Now The Marvels otherwise looks like a girlie movie. Bright, colorful, with a variety range of moods and emotions, the girl power and sorority themes etc. It was made for woman, there’s a clearly dissonance in reviews written by woman and man for this movie already as well.

The problem: Marvel just can’t make woman interested in it, it’s a historical problem in this franchise. Most of the audience unlike Barbie will be male and they’ll probably hate it because it’s not really made for them and in my experience, straight man usually have a hard time liking something that doesn’t put their preferences on top. 

• Like 3

Not that this explains the disaster that’s about to happen of course. 

The main problem here is a complete lack of interest generated by a collection of bad decisions involving the whole franchise in the past 2 years. 

It’s just that we can’t ignore that MCU not appealing that much to woman is a real thing and putting a majority of male audience to watch a movie made for woman first will probably generate some extra rejection

• Like 2

It's strange to say this, but Marvel's outcast might be its only savior. The weight of the MCU now rests upon the shoulders of the Deadpool 3 trailer. 3 years of middling disappointments have all led to that trailer being the only hope for its future. Can Shawn Levy pull off a Favreau Hail Mary?

They may as well do a couple of reshoots of Deadpool tearing the current phase of MCU apart.

Edited by ThePhasmid

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But that’s the thing … Barbie is a girlie movie that actually made girls and women engaged with it. I saw the movie 3 times and most of the audience was women and gay people, i know a lot of people with similar experiences. 

I think the problem with The Marvels is a problem that surrounds the whole MCU: is a man’s franchise. 

The first movie despite all the hate, is a very masculine movie. With it’s somewhat lavish cinematography, the always angry super strong badass woman, bud cop structure with Fury, military aesthetic … it’s a movie for woman that was made by design to please man. I mean, it worked, it was a big hit and most of the audience was male. 

Now The Marvels otherwise looks like a girlie movie. Bright, colorful, with a variety range of moods and emotions, the girl power and sorority themes etc. It was made for woman, there’s a clearly dissonance in reviews written by woman and man for this movie already as well.

The problem: Marvel just can’t make woman interested in it, it’s a historical problem in this franchise. Most of the audience unlike Barbie will be male and they’ll probably hate it because it’s not really made for them and in my experience, straight man usually have a hard time liking something that doesn’t put their preferences on top. 

Aquaman is likely the superhero movie with the biggest female audience. However, it wasn't a girlie movie.

Honestly, I'm not sure The Marvels will be so attractive for the female audience.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

Aquaman is likely the superhero movie with the biggest female audience. However, it wasn't a girlie movie.

Honestly, I'm not sure The Marvels will be so attractive for a female audience.

It won’t, but like i said this is not really The Marvels problems, is MCU problem historically. 

And for Aquaman, i think that movie is gay as fuck lol. I loved it, it have a comforting vibe to it between Jason and Amber characters, all the action scenes with Jason shirtless is shot in a weirdly sexy way almost like a fetish unlike Marvel that put man shirtless but doesn’t have a sense of erotism, and the underwater is super colorful and vibrant. 

I can’t say if that’s the reason woman like it a lot as well, but i think Aquaman is a male movie in disguised, to me is a drag queen of a movie under it’s mask

• Like 1