Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

43 minutes ago, DInky said:

director felt like she didn't know what she was doing (not her fault, sounds like Marvel just being Marvel taking a young and talented indie director and then making the movie for them)

This is an oversimplified/no cotext version of what she stated in that interview.

• Like 2

Yeah the trades really only focused on specific quotes in that interview because, shock of shocks, talking negative about Brie Larson projects gets lots of clicks on the Internet. People act like the vanity fair thing was like a rant and not like "yeah directing a major tentpole is very different than an indie film"

• Like 2

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Yeah the trades really only focused on specific quotes in that interview because, shock of shocks, talking negative about Brie Larson projects gets lots of clicks on the Internet. People act like the vanity fair thing was like a rant and not like "yeah directing a major tentpole is very different than an indie film"

this. I hate modern "journalism". Yeah they have to pay the bills and all, but still. To see stuff like this from big papers like variety is disgusting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DInky said:

One way to look at it is that Marvel Studios didn't think the movie was worth delaying.

Delay for what reason? Are you people just literally making up things in your head on why this will fail? Because so far not a single reason given by y'all has been anything worth anything.

• Like 1

The only thing not delaying it proves is that Disney believes the cast interviews/junkets this film is missing out on wouldn't have made a dent in the marketing.

This is true, as the draw is that it's an MCU movie, not any of the actors. Cast interviews don't make a dent for this.

Edited by Bob Train

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

I really liked the first movie, but this $220 mil movie looks like it cost $80. Meanwhile, the $80 mil budgeted Creator looks like it cost $220 mil. 

Everybody keeps bringing up The Creator but the only reason it cost so little is that they filmed in Thailand where they could exploit local crews.

12 hours ago, Bob Train said:

The only thing not delaying it proves is that Disney believes the cast interviews/junkets this film is missing out on wouldn't have made a dent in the marketing.

This is true, as the draw is that it's an MCU movie, not any of the actors. Cast interviews don't make a dent for this interview.

Id assume the more likely reason is that they'd then have to delay everything else on top of it

45 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is going under 100M DOM. Book it. You read it here first.

Lmfao zero fucking percent chance. Jesus Christ people here have it out for this movie.

How on earth has Dune moving away from release convinced people this is doing Dark Phoenix numbers????

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lmfao zero fucking percent chance. Jesus Christ people here have it out for this movie.

How on earth has Dune moving away from release convinced people this is doing Dark Phoenix numbers????

While I agree that a result that disastrous is highly unlikely, I do get why this movie is getting these predictions. Between being part of a franchise slowly losing its luster and a sequel to a gimmick-driven billion dollar movie that didn't leave much of an impact, it has a lot going against it. I also think a lot of long running franchises crashing and burning this year has made people hesitant to attach very large numbers to movies like this. The one big advantage it now has is that Dune 2 being kicked to next year caused it to gain IMAX screens for at least its opening frame. So we'll just have to wait until November to find out.

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:
36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

While I agree that a result that disastrous is highly unlikely, I do get why this movie is getting these predictions. Between being part of a franchise slowly losing its luster and a sequel to a gimmick-driven billion dollar movie that didn't leave much of an impact, it has a lot going against it.

"Probably doing less than the first" is a far cry from the ludicrously low predictions people are making here like sub 100 dom total.

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

While I agree that a result that disastrous is highly unlikely, I do get why this movie is getting these predictions. Between being part of a franchise slowly losing its luster and a sequel to a gimmick-driven billion dollar movie that didn't leave much of an impact, it has a lot going against it. I also think a lot of long running franchises crashing and burning this year has made people hesitant to attach very large numbers to movies like this. The one big advantage it now has is that Dune 2 being kicked to next year caused it to gain IMAX screens for at least its opening frame. So we'll just have to wait until November to find out.

What gimmick drove it to a billion dollars?