Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They don't but it will eat some male audience. I don't think TM will be a repeat business thing. It'll make the most in its first week due to fandom rush even if it's as low as it can be and fast turnover (short running time helps here a lot). After that, audience will turn to new movies. 

This is true. We've seen in the post-COVID box office that audiences either embrace you or totally reject you without a lot of room in between. Second weekend drops for films have become brutal, especially for CBMs unless they have glowing word of mouth.

Personally I still think it'll get good reviews overall. I certainly think I'll enjoy it, I've liked all the clips they've shown, I liked Ms Marvel a lot and Iman Vellani seems just as lovable here as she was in that. Even if this is a bust at the box office Marvel seems to like her a lot so hopefully she gets another shot in the movies (maybe at a certain school for gifted youngsters?)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean let's not pretend there is not a 100 percent chance that Disney writes this off as a strike casualty, at least publicly. Which I think is a factor: they played chicken and thought the SAG strike would end before the release date and they were very, very wrong.

Which seems to be their and the other studios strategy for the strike in general. Play chicken and think they can break and divide the union on the AI thing. Nope

I disagree that Ms Marvel is insufferable. She's a great character and the actress is giving a great performance. Best casting since Chadwick and Tom Holland. I'm sure she'll be the highlight of The Marvels. She's the only reason that I'm going to watch the film. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I disagree that Ms Marvel is insufferable. She's a great character and the actress is giving a great performance. Best casting since Chadwick and Tom Holland. I'm sure she'll be the highlight of The Marvels. She's the only reason that I'm going to watch the film. 

going by the trailers for this movie 

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yep it's facing THG prequel and Thanksgiving a week later that will siphon female audience. Then families will watch Wish a week after and men Napoleon and there's Holdovers also opening wide and having crowdpleaser buzz from festivals. I don't see how those mythical amazing legs are supposed to develop thanks to "it sucks but it's fun buzz" in this competition. 

Fwiw, I don’t expect Marvels to have a high - if it all - female skewing demo. The ticket sales thusfar are PLF and Thursday heavy, both of which tend to be male-skewing audiences 

Do agree in general that there’s enough competition that a weak offering isn’t going to leg out all that well 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean let's not pretend there is not a 100 percent chance that Disney writes this off as a strike casualty, at least publicly. Which I think is a factor: they played chicken and thought the SAG strike would end before the release date and they were very, very wrong.

Honestly, I don't feel actors promotion really benefit the box office of superhero movies considerably. It was always more about the brand power (and reception). 

Disney may blame the strike publicly. However, Disney should have expected the Marvel brand and Captain Marvel to be popular enough for a pretty good box office without the need of actors promotion.

PS: Also, despite the lack of actors promotion, people seem to be aware about The Marvel. There just seems to not be a lot of interest.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They’re trying really hard to make Ms Marvel another Spider-Man and they are failing miserably. In the trailers for this she looks insufferable 

This. No matter what some people here personally think of the character and actress, such as that they are great, audience is rejecting this character. How many times a property (show, movie) with the same character needs to flop for the message to sink in? Spiderman didn't flop with either PP or MM which shows that the character is popular with audience. OTOH, Ms Marvel show didn't attract new teen girl audience it was supposed to, while the base audience skipped it. Now CM team with this character is tracking worse than any Marvel movie. 

mean-girls-regina-george.gif

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

I hate how we talk about this film like a normal MCU film.

"It'll bomb. People just need to get over it."

Okay, but no other MCU film has a final trailer with 57k likes and 48k dislikes. Jesus, the number of dislikes the trailer has is insane for a film people somehow don't care about.

EDIT: I really hope the mods here shut down bad faith actors using this film's failure as an excuse to be sexist and/or racist. Because, again, it's wild that so many weirdos care enough to dislike a trailer that, actually, isn't that bad compared to other trailers.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I’m fine with this if I get a GTA movie out of it.

Not to get wildly off topic, but I suspect the biggest problem with making a GTA film is simply that it's not worth the risk to Rockstar. It's the same reason that Pokemon only made a D list game available for live action adaptations. 

Is there any data on how Warcraft or Assassins Creed impacted sales? 

If people really thought putting Brie Larson and her polarizing personality on display was gonna be a net positive for promotion I think you might be coping hard. Lol. I feel bad for her, but a portion of Marvels audience is never gonna let it go with her. I think Iman would have warmed peoples cold dark hearts though. Lol

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Fwiw, I don’t expect Marvels to have a high - if it all - female skewing demo. The ticket sales thusfar are PLF and Thursday heavy, both of which tend to be male-skewing audiences 

Do agree in general that there’s enough competition that a weak offering isn’t going to leg out all that well 

Great point about PLF and Thursday re: demo. It looks like at least OD if not OW is gonna be another male heavy MCU opening although Marvel clearly wants female audience with this. They'll show up for THG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I hate how we talk about this film like a normal MCU film.

"It'll bomb. People just need to get over it."

Okay, but no other MCU film has a final trailer with 57k likes and 48k dislikes. Jesus, the number of dislikes the trailer has is insane for a film people somehow don't care about.

EDIT: I really hope the mods here shut down bad faith actors using this film's failure as an excuse to be sexist and/or racist. Because, again, it's wild that so many weirdos care enough to dislike a trailer that, actually, isn't that bad compared to other trailers.

The real dislike number is almost certainly much lower than what the extension shows just by virtue of how it works. Probably still considerable though, mind you.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I guess the MCU expected to have more luck with a bigger and more diverse audience.

Superhero comics has a pretty limited audience (mostly white adult men), since the comic market is somewhat inaccessible to new audiences.

Marvel movies where already making 800 million 1 billion dollars with ease.

Their audience was already big and diverse lol 

I would argue they were trying to seek totally new audiences. 

Edited by Torontofan