filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

the big question is whether they will extend the eligibility period to next year. 

For sure. Gotta make sure Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway has a legit shot at the top prize!

In all seriousness I doubt it though. Most of the awards movies will (presumably) be coming in the fourth quarter anyway.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It wouldn't be much of a surprise to see movies like Ammonite end up heading to next year in hopes that the world will be back to normal by the time the next round of annual festivals begin and receive the proper campaigns they wouldn't be able to have this year. Minari might stay since it already premiered at Sundance although January feels like 20 years ago with everything that's happened since so would probably need to rebuild whatever momentum it might've had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It wouldn't be much of a surprise to see movies like Ammonite end up heading to next year in hopes that the world will be back to normal by the time the next round of annual festivals begin and receive the proper campaigns they wouldn't be able to have this year. Minari might stay since it already premiered at Sundance although January feels like 20 years ago with everything that's happened since so would probably need to rebuild whatever momentum it might've had.

Ammonite  have enough star power that it could break in awards season without festival hype, it's also distributed by NEON and they'll be coming in after that Parasite win. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/05/cannes-to-announce-official-selection-lineup-on-june-3-1202945257/

Cannes will announce its 2020 Official Selection next Wednesday, June 3, in Paris.

Pierre Lescure, President of the Festival de Cannes, and Thierry Frémaux, the Festival’s General Delegate, will announce the line-up that would have been at the 73rd edition live on Canal+ at 6:00pm local time, as well as on the festival’s website and across its social media.

They will reveal the 2020 Official Selection, with those films awarded the Cannes stamp of approval upon their release in cinemas and screenings at certain festivals. Meanwhile, the online Marché du Film will be held from 22 to 26 June.

Among movies widely tipped for the festival were Wes Anderson’s The Last Dispatch and Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s Memoria. Frémaux has already announced that Spike Lee’s Netflix film Da 5 Bloods would have played Out Of Competition at the festival had it gone ahead. Lee was due to chair the jury.

• Like 1

Looks like it's off to 2021 for Annette.

Some other high-profile movies that were tipped to compete at Cannes this year — notably Leos Carax’s “Annette” with Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard, Bruno Dumont’s “On A Clear Half Morning” with Lea Seydoux, and Paul Verhoeven with “Benedetta” — are expected to be held for next year’s Cannes.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Looks like it's off to 2021 for Annette.

I heard about Benedetta moving but I thought Annette wasn't going to be ready for Cannes? 

https://www.screendaily.com/features/cannes-2020-what-was-in-the-running-and-still-might-be/5149038.article

Leos Carax’s long-awaited Los Angeles-based musical romance Annette, co-starring Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard as a stand-up comedian and his opera singer wife, had not been expected to be ready in time for a Cannes debut, even prior to the pandemic. 

13 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I got strong feeling this year would be the year that Oscar rewarding a blockbuster for best picture since LOTR3

I 100% agree. World is too crazy atm. The Oscars need a good comfort film that the GA loves.

• Thanks 1

The French Dispatch,” Wes Anderson
“Summer of 85,” François Ozon
“True Mothers,” Naomi Kawase
“Lover’s Rock,” Steve McQueen
“Mangrove,” Steve McQueen

“Druk (Another Round),” Thomas Vinterberg
“Peninsula,” Sang-ho Yeon
“ADN,” Maïwenn
“Soul,” Pete Docter
“Ammonite,” Francis Lee
“Falling,” Viggo Mortensen
“Broken Keys,” Jimmy Keyrouz
“Truffle Hunters,” Gregory Kershaw and Michael Dweck
“Aya and the Witch,” Goro Miyazaki
“Limbo,” Ben Sharrock

2 new Steve McQueen movies? that feels like it came out of nowhere but I'm intrigued

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

2 new Steve McQueen movies? that feels like it came out of nowhere but I'm intrigued

That was so much of no where (not on google, not on imdb....) and exceptionnal to have 2 movies that I had to check the article in the link, it is because they are not movies, those are 2 episode of is upcoming tv mini-series :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3464896/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That was so much of no where (not on google, not on imdb....) and exceptionnal to have 2 movies that I had to check the article in the link, it is because they are not movies, those are 2 episode of is upcoming tv mini-series :

yeah it makes more sense if they were part of his upcoming mini-series

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They are movies according to BBC, not part of a show: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/cannes-steve-mcqueen

But they are premiering on BBC One so I guess they're going for Emmys.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no (actual) cannes will definitely hurt any of those foreign language films if they want awards attention. if this situation happened last year Parasite wouldn't have even been nominated let alone win without the big cannes launch.

• Like 2