cheesypoofs

Scream | January 14, 2022 | Profit of $56.7M

Just now, Eric Safin said:

So I know people keep mentioning the epic meltdowns over Scream 4's numbers...why exactly were expectations so high on the film? Was it because the old cast was coming back?

Partly that, plus Scream 2 and 3 were gigantic horror OWs for their time. Going below them never seemed like a consideration. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Partly that, plus Scream 2 and 3 were gigantic horror OWs for their time. Going below them never seemed like a consideration. 

Tracking was throught the roof as well I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Best I can find is the below deadline article, though it states tracking was around mid 20s the week of release

https://deadline.com/2011/04/first-box-office-rio-bird-winning-intl-battle-with-hop-123287/

BOM overpredicting things then. There was not a single soul predicting under 40M OW on that forum. Not one.

20 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

So I know people keep mentioning the epic meltdowns over Scream 4's numbers...why exactly were expectations so high on the film? Was it because the old cast was coming back?

Yeh what were those tracking sources we used to have, RS?? Or something. They had it at 27m, even that was lower than what most were expecting. Then it did $19.1m in the estimate. 

Another positive for this film, adding to what Eric already said is: Weinstein were a mess at the time and not marketing films properly in 2011. Also, Scream 4 seems to have really caught on with the generation since, it certainly found its audience over the years. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Another positive for this film, adding to what Eric already said is: Weinstein were a mess at the time and not marketing films properly in 2011.

See now I'm nervous again because this is a Paramount movie :lol: 

• Haha 1