The Panda

A History in Film - BOT Top 50 Historical Fiction/Narrative Films - Counting Lists Now, Will Still Take A List Today

Qualification Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Historical Films with slight alternative history deviations be allowed (Ex Once Upon a Time In Hollywood), this is NOT talking about films with historical inaccuracies

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should Fantasy films that serve as Historical Allegories be allowed? (Examples: The Wizard of Oz and Pan’s Labyrinth)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should older films which cover historical events in their present time be included? (Ex Casablanca)

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The scene where Martin Lawrence does a rendition of "Dance to the Music" is cinema of the highest order.

not gonna lie i rented it several times back when it was new but i have retained no details of it. due for a rewatch before i officially send my list i think.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't understand why back the future would not count. He goes back in time to the 1950s and there is a pure contrast between what the 50s are like and what the eighties are like. It gives you a glimpse into the life of what it was like in 1955. Isn't that what this list is supposed to be about?

See my post above about some general rules of thumb you can use and the fact that Back to the Future is a sci-fi time travel film, I can get where you’re coming from partially, but it’s still a sci-fi time travel film.

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

So @The Panda tell me which films to take off my list. 

The films that won’t qualify are Back to the Future and IT.  There are a few others that I probably wouldn’t personally consider as fitting the genre, but they’re consistent enough with the criteria we’ve listed that I’ll count them if you keep them on your list

Edited by The Panda

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Okay I will take off it and Back to the future and you mentioned all the presidents men as well as maybe something that won't count?

All the President’s Men I’m leaving up to people’s judgement given that it’s borderline

43 minutes ago, baumer said:

You seem to be an authority on this list. Is there something about my personal choice in film that has you angry or something? It seems like when I've asked you questions in the past about this it's like you taking a personal affront to some of the movies that I've mentioned. I don't understand why Back to future definitely is not a historical film when it definitely gives you a glimpse into what it's like to live in the 50s.

Ok maybe take a step back and relax

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

not gonna lie i rented it several times back when it was new but i have retained no details of it. due for a rewatch before i officially send my list i think.

It was a staple of mine back in 2002 when it was on HBO daily.

I then went like 16 years without seeing it but I caught it last year and y'know what, ❤️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Ok maybe take a step back and relax

I did.  

I apologize.  Sometimes things can get lost in translation by text or on messaging boards like this.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

I guess I just don't see the difference between something like Singin in the Rain and Back to the Future.

Back to the Future: Has a time traveling car.

Singing in the Rain: Does not have a time traveling car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

I guess I just don't see the difference between something like Singin in the Rain and Back to the Future.

Singin’ In The Rain is an excellent document Detailing the transition movie studios made from Silent movies just sound. Gene Kelly and the screen writers, Betty Comden and Adolph Green, did extensive research and interviews with silent film stars for movie. When the film first came out it was praised for its accuracy, particularly with the costumes at the fake movie premiere and the vibe of what the Hollywood factory looked like with multiple sets going on the same soundstage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm pretty sure more than 50% of the lists will have Titanic on it.

It's number two on my list.

If it's a top 50 list I would hope to see it appear on more, I mean I'm struggling to even think of 50 historical films

The lead character was fiction (a mix out of several other existing persons...), but the details of sea-life,... were rather good.

Plus details of the story are based on history too (in the books far more than in the movie)

Captain_Horatio_Hornblower_1951_film.jpg