The Panda

A History in Film - BOT Top 50 Historical Fiction/Narrative Films - Counting Lists Now, Will Still Take A List Today

Qualification Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Historical Films with slight alternative history deviations be allowed (Ex Once Upon a Time In Hollywood), this is NOT talking about films with historical inaccuracies

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should Fantasy films that serve as Historical Allegories be allowed? (Examples: The Wizard of Oz and Pan’s Labyrinth)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should older films which cover historical events in their present time be included? (Ex Casablanca)

• Yes
    • No

5 Days or so until the deadline, get some lists together!

Excited for this list, because of all cinematic genres, I think this one quite possibly has the most depth in quality riches (as well as quite a bit of diversity in tones, styles, settings and periods).  

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Lists due in 3 Days!’

And some mass tagging.  Sorry if I miss somebody or tag somebody who isn't interested, just copied this mass tag from Jake's list.

@#ED @4815162342  @Plain Old Tele  @charlie Jatinder @tribefan695  @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @aabattery @ACSlater @AJG @Alpha @AndyLL @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeFangrl @BoxOfficeZ @Brainbug @Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Jedi Jat @chasmmi @ChD @Chewy @ChipMunky @CJohn @Claire of Themyscira @Cmasterclay @cookie @CoolioD1 @DAJK @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @Daxtreme @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @Fancyarcher @FantasticBeasts @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @Gopher @grim22 @IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @IronJimbo @Ithil @Jack Nevada @James @Jandrew @Jason @Jayhawk @JB33 @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @kayumanggi @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @lilmac @Lion Roar @LonePirate @Lordmandeep @m3racer123 @Mattrek @MCKillswitch123 @Mekanos @Menor @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MovieMan89 @Spaghetti @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @Ozymandias @peludo @Porthos @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @Rorschach @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Shawn @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @SLAM! @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @Thanos Legion @That One Guy @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @titanic2187 @TLK @TMP @Tower @tribefan695 @trifle @TwoMisfits @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VenomXXR @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Water Bottle @Webslinger @Wrath @WrathOfHan @YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Jake Gittes @Ethan Hunt @Cap @Eric

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@The Panda

I actually asked my son and husband today.

They named a few movies that got us discussing about how many years have to be between an event, or.... and the making of a film to count as historical? 

I guess bcs especially husband didn’t want to reduce some titles (of our private list here at home) he was for a 6-10y rule (even if he did kind of acknowledge that those are probably not really counting), as he loves some movies so much. I also think its because its so long ago for some of the movies he has seen (he grew up as at least some houses in Munich still were rubble after WWII), he feels about them time-wise in a not 100% realistic way.

What do you think privately?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

@The Panda

I actually asked my son and husband today.

They named a few movies that got us discussing about how many years have to be between an event, or.... and the making of a film to count as historical? 

I guess bcs especially husband didn’t want to reduce some titles (of our private list here at home) he was for a 6-10y rule (even if he did kind of acknowledge that those are probably not really counting), as he loves some movies so much. I also think its because its so long ago for some of the movies he has seen (he grew up as at least some houses in Munich still were rubble after WWII), he feels about them time-wise in a not 100% realistic way.

What do you think privately?

I mean the cut-off is fairly relative and arbitrary imo.  There should be some amount of distance but I’m not sure you could get a consensus on the exact distance required for a film to be considered “historical”.

We’re just going with the bare minimum distance of ~5 years or so from the central event of the film and the release date.  But it is definitely a fair point that 5 years could be much to close to truly be retrospective and fall in the realm of current events.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I mean the cut-off is fairly relative and arbitrary imo.  There should be some amount of distance but I’m not sure you could get a consensus on the exact distance required for a film to be considered “historical”.

We’re just going with the bare minimum distance of ~5 years or so from the central event of the film and the release date.  But it is definitely a fair point that 5 years could be much to close to truly be retrospective and fall in the realm of current events.  

To me its a generation or after a big change of perspective in a country, like if a movie was filmed in Germany only some years after WWII the way it shows the time during the war way more accurate, and how to judge the behavior of the characters will be a very much other one in comparison to propaganda filled German movies during WWII.

But if there was no big shift, like e.g. 1944 movie ‘The Seventh Cross’ wont show much difference to a movie made e.g. only 6 years later, it seems less right to add it on such a historical list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

To me its a generation or after a big change of perspective in a country, like if a movie was filmed in Germany only some years after WWII the way it shows the time during the war way more accurate, and how to judge the behavior of the characters will be a very much other one in comparison to propaganda filled German movies during WWII.

But if there was no big shift, like e.g. 1944 movie ‘The Seventh Cross’ wont show much difference to a movie made e.g. only 6 years later, it seems less right to add it on such a historical list.

This is another reason why the cut-off is fairly arbitrary.  All the President's Men for example is very close to its event but it portrays Watergate in accurate detail.  Where that cut off should be does seem like a case by case basis (and some movies like Casablanca which have historical power, such as its usage to try and convince Americans at that time to support the War Effort).  Id our relative 5 year distance cut off is just maintain some amount of minimal standard, and after that it can be the personal judgement of each user what they think should qualify for their list, and that should weed out many of the questionable cases by sheer fact that not enough people would vote for them (in theory).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

This is another reason why the cut-off is fairly arbitrary.  All the President's Men for example is very close to its event but it portrays Watergate in accurate detail.  Where that cut off should be does seem like a case by case basis (and some movies like Casablanca which have historical power, such as its usage to try and convince Americans at that time to support the War Effort).  Id our relative 5 year distance cut off is just maintain some amount of minimal standard, and after that it can be the personal judgement of each user what they think should qualify for their list, and that should weed out many of the questionable cases by sheer fact that not enough people would vote for them (in theory).

Thank you 🥰

I do understand the way its handled here for the lists, it was only how I‘d handle it privately, how I’d handle it before or outside this list.

I added a few movies to my ‘collect titles to later try to rank them’ list that I’d usually would not include, but I find fascinating for one reason or the other. Including one that might not match, but I kinda like for the ‘fantasy it would be nice if something like that would have had happen’ (you’ll see)

• Like 1

Not ranked yet, I know I forgot some, already a few too many,... 

some might find the release years helpful

edit to add MASH

Spartacus (1960)

The Lion in Winter (1968)

Becket (1964)

MASH (1970)

The Man Who would be King (1975)

Zulu (1964)

The Third Man (1949)

Judgement at Nuremberg (1961)

The Duellists (1977)

Master and Commander (2003)

Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. (1951)

All Quiet at the Western Front (1930)

Laurence of Arabia (1962)

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Die Brücke (1959)

Das Boot (1981)

The Right Stuff (1983)

Cleopatra (1963)

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

Zodiac (2007)

Seven Samurai (1954)

Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)

Waterloo (1970)

A Bridge Too Far (1977)

Schindler‘s List (1993)

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005) (director’s cut)

The Longest Day (1962)

The Great Escape (1963)

Apollo 13 (1995)

Gandhi (1982)

Queen Christina (1933)

The Private Live of Henry VIII. (1933)

JFK (1991)

The Untouchables (1987)

Platoon (1986)

Salvador (1986)

The Doors (1991)

Cabaret (1972)

Les  Miserables (1935)

Les  Miserables (1998)

Les  Miserables (2012)

A Man for All Seasons (1966) (Thomas More)

Quo Vadis (1951)

Gladiator (2000)

Dances with Wolves (1990)

Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Last of the Dogmen (1995) (not the best film of the world, but I‘d love for a tribe to have escaped like e.g. that, kind of the fantastical hearty opposite of the Last of the Mohicans, or simple more  ‘current’ version of Dances with Wolves)

Troy (2004) (slightly above 55 Days....)

55 Days at Peking (Boxer Rebellion 1898-1900) (1963) (rating ~ middle ground)

The Hurt Locker (2008)

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

The King‘s Speech (2010)

Black Hawk Down (2001)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1984)

Mask (1985)

The Big Red One (1980)

Where Eagles Dare (1968)  

Missing (1982) 

Inherit the Wind (1960) 

Frida (2002)

Throne of Blood (1957)

Honorable mentions:

All the President’s Men (1976) - because I show it in my Media subject to my pupils, and I feel like they get the time then a lot better than per history books or docus.

Z (1969) by Costa-Garvas sadly too time-near, but a probably good general snap-shot

Wrath of Gods (2006) = 42 minutes documentary about making a film where a lot of unplanned things happened, incl nature was a bit unpredictable. The exhaustion of the lead, who was too tired to stop speaking (yes, that can happen), the frustration,... to me interesting. Docu better than the film/movie.

(nearly) every Macbeth version I know, and yes, that includes the Kurosawa version listed (I am aware about the mixed source materials, but think it does reflect some interesting insight in past times) 

TV movies, mini-series, TV movie series:

Les Miserables (1978)

I, Claudius (1976) (Derek Jacobi as Claudius)

Sharpe movies (Sean Bean as Rifleman Richard Sharpe)

Horatio Hornblower movies (Ioan Gruffudd as HH)

Au nom de tous les miens (Michael York as Martin Gray, 40y old)

Edited by terrestrial
1978, and not 1078, also added dir. cut for KoH
  • Like 2

That's fun!
But sometimes I'm not sure: Forrest Gump should be allowed then, no? And what about Gorky Park (1983) which like Doctor Zhivago draws a picture of an era but is also (maybe too much) a crime film/thriller?
And finally, is First Blood (1982) allowed? It has fictional figures but OTOH the Vietnam war is portrayed, better said the repercussions, e.g. the traumatisation and the problems to reintegrate into a normal life?

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, el sid said:

That's fun!
But sometimes I'm not sure: Forrest Gump should be allowed then, no? And what about Gorky Park (1983) which like Doctor Zhivago draws a picture of an era but is also (maybe too much) a crime film/thriller?
And finally, is First Blood (1982) allowed? It has fictional figures but OTOH the Vietnam war is portrayed, better said the repercussions, e.g. the traumatisation and the problems to reintegrate into a normal life?

Gorky Park, is that the one who had

Spoiler

snow plows

in it?

Title sounds very familiar, summary at IMDb does not ring the bell enough to remember

23 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Gorky Park, is that the one who had

Hide contents

snow plows

in it?

Title sounds very familiar, summary at IMDb does not ring the bell enough to remember

I don't remember snow plows but it shows a lot of snow ;).
It's based on a book of Martin Cruz Smith. The setting is (partly) in Moscow during the Soviet era and the police inspector Arkadi Renko has to deal with murders that make bigger circles than wished. Renko's love interest is a young woman, Irina, who is involved in the murder case and also has had her experiences with the regime. Maybe you remember some animals, sables at the end? 
The book is very good to read, picturesque and exciting. 

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, el sid said:

I don't remember snow plows but it shows a lot of snow ;).
It's based on a book of Martin Cruz Smith. The setting is (partly) in Moscow during the Soviet era and the police inspector Arkadi Renko has to deal with murders that make bigger circles than wished. Renko's love interest is a young woman, Irina, who is involved in the murder case and also has had her experiences with the regime. Maybe you remember some animals, sables at the end? 
The book is very good to read, picturesque and exciting. 

I‘ve seen several movies with crimes, politic involved, snow and set in Russia, that is one of the reasons why I always get them mixed up. I am pretty sure I have seen Gorky Park, but not sure if it is the movie I first think about when hearing/reading the title (I am known to mix up titles, books and movies alike).

The scene I have in mind involves a snow plow as a murder weapon or a method to cover up a murder, like construing it looking like an accident, I forgot the details.

51 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I‘ve seen several movies with crimes, politic involved, snow and set in Russia, that is one of the reasons why I always get them mixed up. I am pretty sure I have seen Gorky Park, but not sure if it is the movie I first think about when hearing/reading the title (I am known to mix up titles, books and movies alike).

The scene I have in mind involves a snow plow as a murder weapon or a method to cover up a murder, like construing it looking like an accident, I forgot the details.

Same here with the old cold war spy films. I always remember a bridge where they meet but do not know in which film it was ;).
Probably you have seen it once. Here the three victims at the beginning are intentionally unrecognizable and found because it thaws.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, el sid said:

That's fun!

Overall, just use your own judgement, but there’s plenty of guidelines listed throughout the thread you can reference!

• Like 1

My final list.

1. Lawrence of Arabia 
2. Doctor Zhivago
3. Schindler’s List
4. The Grapes of Wrath
5. Come and See 
6. Ran
7. Grave of The Fireflies
8. Goodfellas 
9. Seven Samurai 
10. The Right Stuff