Eric Prime

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Holding an 8.1 average with 150 reviews, this actually could ended up with an 8.0 average or very close to 8.0 at this point, really excellent reception.

Top critics is serving a mini Joker, many complains about it being too dark, funless etc, but not divisise like Joker so it's fine 

Let's see how this big dark epic will go with audiences.

21 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah but people can also critique the reviews. The criticisms mentioned are pretty dumb. If the critic means that they just think the film is too dour/humorless/grim, then just say that instead of this inane stuff about the current climate. 

I mean, none of us have seen it yet, so we're not in a position to say whether it's "dumb" or not. 

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean, none of us have seen it yet, so we're not in a position to say whether it's "dumb" or not. 

The specific criticism that a movie shouldn't be dark during bad times is dumb. I will believe this regardless of whether I find the Batman to be too dark.

• Like 5

Does anyone besides people on here or on movie forums actually care about top critic scores? Like would that actually deter someone from not seeing this? I can’t imagine general audience look beyond the RT percentage score. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve just never seen top critic score discussed outside of here. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Does anyone besides people on here or on movie forums actually care about top critic scores? Like would that actually deter someone from not seeing this? I can’t imagine general audience look beyond the RT percentage score. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve just never seen top critic score discussed outside of here. 

I really don't think so, no. It's an arbitrary measure that maybe has a legitimate method behind it but it's definitely far less meaningful in the long run than the overall score.

Edited by AniNate

37 minutes ago, commendable said:

Of course its fair to evaluate the film in relation to the current social and political climate but "its sad times in the real world so this movie being dark is bad" doesn't actually tell anyone what you think of the film . just that the film happened to be made at the wrong time.

Well, the review in question does touch on it, but rather than get bogged down on any one review, this is actually an interesting philosophical question.

Are reviews meant to be in the moment, trying to tell a typical movie goer right now whether something is worth their hard earned money? Or is it supposed to be  only concerned on the qualities of the film, divorced from the concerns of the day?  Or is it even supposed to be more for a look at the future, the longer term?  Or way of judging movies from different eras?

There's no real right answer to this question.  Well, not true.  There's a right answer for each individual who reads reviews and what they want to get out of them.  But it is an interesting conundrum.

Do you tell the movie goer of TODAY: Yes/No this isn't worth it.

Do you tell the movie goer of TOMORROW who might not care about present concerns: Yes/No this isn't worth it.

This is only one of the reasons why movies get re-evaluated all the time, and I tend to think even the best of critics still get something of the former lacing some of their thoughts.

So while I can understand and agree with folks being irked at a critic saying "Do we really need a dreary depressing movie right now?" I can 100% Guarantee You that some folks are reading that review and going "What? Grim and depressing? NOPE." and be very glad for it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Top critics being lower than non-top critics is nothing new and happens for many blockbusters. 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So while I can understand and agree with folks being irked at a critic saying "Do we really need a dreary depressing movie right now?" I can 100% Guarantee You that some folks are reading that review and going "What? Grim and depressing? NOPE." and be very glad for it.

But my issue is that the reviewer can just say "this movie is grim and depressing," and then people who aren't in the mood for that can easily make the same decision for themselves. The reviewer doesn't have to bash the movie for "not being with the times"

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

No one would care about a review's "neutrality" if it wasn't a movie they were hyped for.

For stuff that does have awards aspirations, its "timeliness" very much plays a factor.

If this was referring to my post, cut out the word "neutral" as it really didn't get at what I was driving at and I figured it was actually harming my overall point.  Hence an edit. :)

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If this was referring to my post, cut out the word "neutral" as it really didn't get at what I was driving at and I figured it was actually harming my overall point.  Hence an edit. :)

I mean, I think it's ultimately all the same thing, people just looking for some sort of objectionable word choice to quibble with to discredit a negative reviewer. Whatever she wrote is gonna be forgotten by the time everyone watches it themselves.

Edited by AniNate