stealthyfrog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 | April 8, 2022 | Paramount | IDRIS ELBA IS KNUCKLES LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Loved this movie - I feel like both this and the original are a love letter to Sonic fans.

So many Easter eggs and game references with just ONE MAJOR disappointment - unless I’m wrong - I didn’t hear the iconic game music during the water scenes.

No gamer can forget how traumatic and heart pounding that musical hook makes you feel while Sonic is underwater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JjFit said:

Loved this movie - I feel like both this and the original are a love letter to Sonic fans.

So many Easter eggs and game references with just ONE MAJOR disappointment - unless I’m wrong - I didn’t hear the iconic game music during the water scenes.

No gamer can forget how traumatic and heart pounding that musical hook makes you feel while Sonic is underwater.

Do they play ANY of the game music in this one?

On 3/30/2022 at 9:39 AM, CJohn said:

BAH GAWD

Hide contents

THE KING IS COMING. SPOILERS FOR THE AFTER CREDITS:

Hide contents

sonic the hedgehog sonics GIF

Spoiler

The reactions from these kids when they saw him was mindblowing. They were screaming and hollering and going ballistic in that theater. It was like they saw Jesus in the flesh. :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:
  Hide contents

The reactions from these kids when they saw him was mindblowing. They were screaming and hollering and going ballistic in that theater. It was like they saw Jesus in the flesh. :lol: 

...but they did. All hail Paramount's saviour.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

27 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Who?

OrdinaryWeakBichonfrise-max-1mb.gif

Spoiler

Ken Penders is a former artist and writer for the Archie Sonic comic book series in the 90s and 2000s. His claim to fame, as the head writer for Archie Sonic, was all the new characters he specifically created for the comics. His belief, which is a very stupid one, was that all the new OCs he made in the comics were owned by him and were his own intellectual property, and thus copyrighted his own stories, characters and artwork that he made for Sega and Archie Comics. Long story short, when you're working for an already established franchise made from a different company, that's not how that works, but it is what it is. Archie basically ignored this copyright stuff, and after a long tenure of legal nonsense, all of the characters Penders created were retconned and removed from the comic book series, including all the echidnas Penders created. Knuckles and Tikal survived though, thanks to them already being established and owned by Sega.

His biggest claim to fame during his time in the comics were all the echidna characters he created. He gave Knuckles a daughter, a family, an entire tribe, and a bajillion other echidna factions, including the Dark Legion. To Penders, the Nintendo DS game Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, which featured an evil legion of echidnas named the Nocturnus Clan, directly copied his own Dark Legion idea (which I mean...evil cults aren't something you can copyright, but whatever), so he sued Sega and EA for copyright infringement. The lawsuit was dismissed in favor towards Sega/EA three whole times, but that basically ensured Sonic Chronicles would never get a sequel despite a cliffhanger ending, and that Sega stayed far away from any Knuckles/echidna lore. Even the concept of Knuckles having a family or a village of other echidnas, or even just echidna characters period, would likely cause Penders to get into a legal stink, because he thinks he owns the idea of Knuckles having a dad. You can probably guess he's not very well-liked within the Sonic community.

This video also explains it better than I ever could:

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I wish it was brighter at points, and it seems that they struggled with how to balance the hyper-primary colors of the trio with everything else to the point where so much was just grey.

That's probably my biggest complaint, I did like this one much more than the first one. That doesn't mean it's good, but I did laugh a lot more.

Spoiler

Also I knew he was in the stinger but I didn't expect an actual rendered model of him, holy shit that was cool.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

Liked the first movie, but this one is better. I'm reminded 20 years ago of X2 and Spider-Man 2 were a solid foundation built upon decent-throw-it-a-parade-because-it-didn't-suck movies and we got stronger/superior sequels. Iconic characters with multi-generational fanbases getting the good treatment, there's a sensation in seeing characters doing familiar things only previously limited to comics/games/toons/whatever getting but now on the big screen. OK these guys *get it* and you feel like a door has opened, anything in that spectrum could now be pulled off. Look at the Nintendo crown jewel IPs, I mean why not? 

Also Idris Elba as Knuckles is fried gold. No wonder he's getting his own show. 

8/10

• Like 1

One of the best success stories of the past century at the box office.

The movie was a joke when they released their initial trailers, people found the trailer for Detective Pikachu far superior and this movie was the laughing stock of the Internet. The studio and director made the insane decision to literally delay the movie and make things right based off fan reactions to the trailer - which almost never happens - and the first movie went on to be a huge success, breaking the opening weekend record for a video game movie, beating out Detective Pikachu (which flopped) and has now spawned an entire franchise with a third movie, a spin-of series and probably more they've yet to announce.

I haven't seen this movie but I'm happy for the studio, the team and their fans!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wormow said:

The movie was a joke when they released their initial trailers, people found the trailer for Detective Pikachu far superior and this movie was the laughing stock of the Internet. The studio and director made the insane decision to literally delay the movie and make things right based off fan reactions to the trailer - which almost never happens - and the first movie went on to be a huge success, breaking the opening weekend record for a video game movie, beating out Detective Pikachu (which flopped) and has now spawned an entire franchise with a third movie, a spin-of series and probably more they've yet to announce.

I haven't seen this movie but I'm happy for the studio, the team and their fans!

I wouldn't call Pikachu a flop, it just didn't reach lofty expectations. Agree on the sentiment about Sonic though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wormow said:

huh? is it crack?

DP - 433m

Sonic - 319m

Edited by Cruel Summer

So I'm thinking this will have a 3 to 3.5x multiplier which would put it at $215m-250m. that's HUGE! and it might even get higher. this is almost Bigger news than The Batman tbh, that film performed well. but still generally within expectations.