TMP

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem | August 2, 2023 | CG reboot produced by Seth Rogen produced | Fourth most profitable movie of 2023

This is a great interview:

Honestly, probably fear. [laughs] We really have a pretty specific way we work; me and Evan have been writers for 20 years at this point. It’s a fear of the process, honestly. And I say that knowing nothing about the process. There are a lot of Marvel things I love. 

It’s mostly a fear of how would we plug into the system they have in place, which seems like a very good system, and a system that serves them very well. But is it a system that we would ultimately get really frustrated with? And what’s nice about [Mutant Mayhem] is that we’re the producers of this. So we dictated the system, and we dictated the process in a lot of ways. And that’s what’s also appealing for us about The Boys and the other bigger franchise-y type things we’ve done, is that we are creating the infrastructure and process for them, not plugging into someone else’s infrastructure and process. We’re control freaks!

I say, bring them into the fold, Kevin Feige and Louis D’Esposito. Invincible is arguably one of the best adaptations ever made from comics to screen, in fact, bring them into the fold and never mind Marvel x DC crossover, give me the Invincible x Spider-Man crossover, make him a variant or something. 

I’m sure there would be a project that they would be perfect for. Maybe Nextwave? 

• Like 1

Saw a preview screening. Great va performances and soundtrack and some hilariously grotesque imagery, but definitely best to come into it with tempered dramatic expectations. Pretty much a feature length tv show pilot and the humor didn't hit as consistently as I hoped it would. Still a pretty enjoyable movie though and I'm sure families won't mind.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

I wonder how Barbenheimer will impact TMNT?

TMNT's main audience should be little boys and adults nostalgic about the brand so it should be fine as counterprograming. The movie was really lucky not opening on Barbenheimer 2nd week.

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

TMNT's main audience should be little boys and adults nostalgic about the brand so it should be fine as counterprograming. The movie was really lucky not opening on Barbenheimer 2nd week.

Or the week before. Am I right Paramount exec's?

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

My brother and I (both in are mid 20s are planning on seeing it probably on Friday night (maybe Sunday).  WE definetly fit the nostalgic adults part, as we were hooked as soon as we saw 1 episode of the 2K3 series.  We scheduled our entire Saturday mornings for years around when it came on.

Edited by Human
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Human said:

My brother and I (both in are mid 20s are planning on seeing it probably on Friday night (maybe Sunday).  WE definetly fit the nostalgic adults part, as we were hooked as soon as we saw 1 episode of the 2K3 series.  We scheduled our entire Saturday mornings for years around when it came on.

I grew up on the 2003 and 2012 show. Seeing this tonight. 

15 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Not at all . Different audiences.

Saw another big turtle feature at work this time for toys.  Not as good as ones in my attic (the weapons do not detach, and that was so much fun).

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

TMNT is going for kids and older fans nostalgic about the brand. Mario and Barbie pretty much did the same thing with massive sucess.

Can we can get 3 home runs in a row?

No.  Haunted Mansion broke the streak badly.  It is on pace to bomb worse than Shazam 2.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because it's such a unique approach to character design from the rest of Hollywood animation. Helps it keep itself distinct from even stuff like Spider-verse. It's a neat aesthetic.

It helps that everything in the Eastman/Laird run looks absolutely filthy lol

• Like 2

Saw the movie last night at a fan screening and it was enjoyable but I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. I think my expectations might have got a little too after seeing the reviews. I didn't care for this version of April though (my least favorite version so far) and she had a bigger role than I was expecting.