Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Asgard Saturday #s - New Mutants 2.48, Unhinged 1.2, Bill and Ted 415K | RIP Chadwick Boseman

It's hard to really contextualize any number right now, but I thought I'd offer up this anecdote that I'm seeing. 

I'm in Canada (specifically a suburb west of Toronto), with a 8 screen theatre across the street from me. I'm not too keen to go to a crowded theatre, even with the social distancing measures in place. Covid numbers are fairly decent around here,with only about a dozen active cases in the town of 100K people. 

Tenet is playing on 4 screens right now. My plan is to go on a night when I'm free where I may be the only person in the theatre. I looked last night and there was an show at 10:00 that was fully empty about an hour before Showtime i considered going, but someone bought a pair of tickets shortly after. I'm currently tracking sales for this evening to see if there's any empty showings. 

From what I'm seeing, I'm guessing that I'll be able to buy a ticket at some point this week where there's no other people 20 minutes before. 

This is a family driven market, so, that may play into it, but,  I originally assumed that I'd need to wait a couple of weeks to get a shot at an empty theatre to watch the film. I assumed reduces capacity on weekends, and pent up demand for a new blockbuster movie would have seen consistent demand for a couple of weeks. 

Edited by vafrow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

There's just nothing to compare that Tenet number against. For all I know it's really good, all things considered, but I expect studios releasing movies in November and December are still jittery.

Of course, since health experts are warning us time and time again to expect a major virus surge with the onset of cold weather,for obvious reasons.

• ...wtf 1

My attempt to find an empty showing was foiled. 3 people bought tickets to the 6:30 showing, and 2 people bought ticket's to the 7:00 showing. 

If I was willing to skip out of work, I could have gone to a 3:30 show and been by myself. 

Will check again tomorrow. Cheap Tuesday will be a tough bet, but, we'll see. If ticket sales in the extra theaters are this low, in other times, I'd wonder if they'll drop screens, but no idea how what they'd show instead. 

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

That's phenomenal, no?

First part is good. China can be seen as disappointing if it turns out that way (and, if it opens as low as 30, if WOM is bad, then under 70 will be likely). Of course, The Eight Hundred is a huge factor, but still...