antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version | See the original movie in theaters on July 12

All studios should be releasing 4K trailers at this point 

I find the imagery a bit off, but i bet it have more to do with the bad compression 1080p quality that is common for YouTube and Twitter 

It hurts every movie, but this fully digital movies tend to look very bad in their platforms 

• Like 1

The hyper-realistic look that they're going for here (and with the first film) is so... ehh. Why the desire to go the faux live-action route?

Honestly, the remake (and now this sequel) could have been really cool if they went in a Pixar animation direction. A film that is still clearly animated, with all of the stylistic benefits this entails in capturing the heart and humour of the original, but that also benefits from the incredible detail and realism of this style of animation (incredible textures, lighting, shadows, hair/fur, etc).

It just feels like there was a universe where they could have made a remarkably impactful remake of the original with modern animation. 

Peace,

Mike

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This looks a bit more cartoonish (which is a great decision tbh), also liked some of the more stylized shots here and there. 

At least the trailer seems to have more personality than the Favreau one. 

Let’s see, i don’t think it will drop like Alice 2. The date alone will prevent that, and TLK was well liked by audiences, i doubt families hate that enough to skip this in Christmas. 

300-ish DOM and ~1B WW seems reasonable to me

I don't think this will happen but I really damn hope it does 

I thought the teaser was. . .good! This is not a Lightyear situation because unlike Lightyear this doesn't have a really weird, confusing premise. Maybe around $150M DOM and $500M WW is where it lands which might be a minor flop but not an epic bomb like some people are projecting. 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Call me crazy, but I'm still not off the Billion train. It won't make $1.6B, but something like $1.1B would not shock me at all. Thinking the Lion King IP is just that strong DOM and INT plus Christmas is going to help A LOT 

Nope-feature-image.jpg?w=1200

35 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I thought the teaser was. . .good! This is not a Lightyear situation because unlike Lightyear this doesn't have a really weird, confusing premise. Maybe around $150M DOM and $500M WW is where it lands which might be a minor flop but not an epic bomb like some people are projecting. 

It will make closer to 150M dom during it´s OW. Probably around 100-120M

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

The hyper-realistic look that they're going for here (and with the first film) is so... ehh. Why the desire to go the faux live-action route?

Honestly, the remake (and now this sequel) could have been really cool if they went in a Pixar animation direction. A film that is still clearly animated, with all of the stylistic benefits this entails in capturing the heart and humour of the original, but that also benefits from the incredible detail and realism of this style of animation (incredible textures, lighting, shadows, hair/fur, etc).

It just feels like there was a universe where they could have made a remarkably impactful remake of the original with modern animation. 

Peace,

Mike

Well they don't have to because we live in a universe  where people will  slurp this crap up.

I doubt a $150mil OW only because it's opening before the holidays and that $150mil will more likely be spread out over the week. I do think it's more of a 4-quad appeal thing than Sonic and the bomb expectations have an air of wishful thinking to them.

the first one got a lot of "uncanny valley" complaints, but I dont think that applies to this one, if anything it looks too realistic

this trailer looks like a bunch of random scenes from one of those nature docs BBC likes to make stitched together with no real purpose

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Barely 4 million views in 20 hours, and the likes/dislikes ratio isn't looking good either. For a side character like this, I think the trailer gives away so little story to really spark any interest (to me) for me to care, they only showed me visuals but people already knew your visuals would be good, good visuals won't be enough to get people talking, at least show some proper story bits.

Trailer was a nothing burger. Looks better than 2019 but has nothing much to it.

I'm seeing 1bn predictions and personally just don't see it. 

Trailer response is muted as fuck. No body wanted this . Disney were smart to put this on Christmas were it will be able to get too 600m-700m+ 

Despicable me would have buried this in the summer.

It's not 2019 anymore. Some look at the 1.6B of TLK and think it can't possibly drop that big. Oh yeah we saw marvels drop 900m+

If it wasn't for Christmas, think this was another Alice in the looking glass drop off contender.