antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version | RIP James Earl Jones

What i don't understand about these live action remakes sequels.

They're doing Frozen 2, 3 and 4. Oceania 2 etc ..and not as direct to video movies like in the past for Cinderella, Aladdin, Little mermaid etc... But included in the official series of the Disney classics.

So why they don't just make an animated Lion king 2 (yeah i know It exists as VHS movie, you can "delete It" from the canon).

That would be a gigantic event. Why the sequels in the form of a live action when the real loved and cult movies we know are and always will be the animated ones. 

Edited by vale9001

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

They're doing Frozen 2, 3 and 4. Oceania 2 etc ..and not as direct to video movies like in the past for Cinderella, Aladdin, Little mermaid etc... But included in the official series of the Disney classics.

So why they don't just make an animated Lion king 2 (yeah i know It exists as VHS movie, you can "delete It" from the canon).

That would be a gigantic event. Why the sequels in the form of a live action when the real loved and cult movies we know are and always will be the animated ones. 

Disney only has like 5 2D animators on their staff. That's why.

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

They're doing Frozen 2, 3 and 4. Oceania 2 etc ..and not as direct to video movies like in the past for Cinderella, Aladdin, Little mermaid etc...

They might still happen. I’m actually much more intrigued by Mufasa than I ever was about The Lion King. Not sure if I’m up to watch at a movie theater - I might - but the idea of exploring Mufasa’s past is genius and Barry Jenkins is no slouch.

If anything, this film kinda proves that they evolved the way to depict the characters and they actually emote now, they don’t look like an uncanny valley National Geographic documentary anymore. The Lion King: Simba or something exploring an adult Simba might still happen. It’s actually good that they are taking their time with it.

ALSO: while watching New Rockstars / The Breakroom coverage of D23 something hit me: one of the hosts was talking about how his nephew loves The Lion King and that it’s hard to sell the classic Disney animation films to kids and I think he is one hundred percent right. I don’t have kids, but friends and family that do have them their kids love the shit out of The Lion King. It’s kinda like George Lucas says all the time, these films aren’t made with us in mind, but the new generation.

Disney and their classic remakes are as much ‘creatively bankrupt’ as Tom Cruise using a tv series as his blockbuster vehicle, or the ungodly amount of Batman and Spider-Man new iterations throughout the decades or whatever. They aren’t ’creatively bankrupt, it’s us that are getting old. We can either go with the ride or not.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

ALSO: while watching New Rockstars / The Breakroom coverage of D23 something hit me: one of the hosts was talking about how his nephew loves The Lion King and that it’s hard to sell the classic Disney animation films to kids and I think he is one hundred percent right. I don’t have kids, but friends and family that do have them their kids love the shit out of The Lion King. It’s kinda like George Lucas says all the time, these films aren’t made with us in mind, but the new generation.

I think the animated movies are more popular upon new generations than the live actions.

I don't know about Cinderella and snow White but definitely true with the 80s and 90s movies.

I mean as a kid i had on repeat Cinderella, snow White, sleeping beauty and pinocchio...and they were already 70 years old, so why kids now shouldn't like beauty and the best or Aladdin  when they are like just 30 years old. 

Edited by vale9001

27 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think the animated movies are more popular upon new generations than the live actions.

I don't know about Cinderella and snow White but definitely true with the 80s and 90s movies.

I mean as a kid i had on repeat Cinderella, snow White, sleeping beauty and pinocchio...and they were already 70 years old, so why kids now shouldn't like beauty and the best or Aladdin  when they are like just 30 years old. 

We aren’t kids anymore and we have a whole new generation with access to iPads, phones, YouTube, TikTok and old stuff for them is well, old stuff. Notice that I haven’t even mentioned Fortnite and other  games that are beloved by kids these days. Our childhoods are radically different than how children are raised now, and I mean that even if you are a cinephile that gives your kids a closed garden of curated films and series for them to watch. If you do that, you are actually insulating the kid because the experience of the other kids won’t be as curated as you could offer. While you might see that as a good thing, it might not be really. 

These remakes aren’t made with us in mind, and it would be kinda weird if they did. That’s why while I welcome Deadpool & Wolverine and Blade as rated R films, I don’t want or don’t need neither Marvel or Star Wars to grow old with us. It’s good to have films and series directed toward us, but I’m ok and understanding of the reasons why these films aren’t really made with us as the main target audience.

Edited by ZattMurdock

It looks more fun than 2019 Lion  King which I'm surprised given Barry Jenkins is directing. 

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Kids of today are not the same as kids from 30 years ago. It's not an apple for apple comparison.

I do think some are obsessed with bringing back traditional animation but truthfully CGI is now the norm and while traditional animation will have its place just as stop motion does, I think we need to accept that Disney is not going back to pure traditional animation. 

Edited by Jonwo

6 hours ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Eh I'm sure they can make 3D "2D" animation. Pretty sure that already happens? 

IDK things like Mitchell vs the Machines, Puss in Boots, SpiderVerse etc 

On 8/10/2024 at 5:13 AM, Eric is Trapped said:

I remember reading that Once Upon A Studio took so long bc they had next to no animators, but honestly...Disney, it's giving "Nobody wants to work " when they don't hire and train people.

I appreciate that they heard the criticism and went to adjust the expressions! but it's still uncanny.

I can see this move going either way... a huge hit or a big disspaointment. It depends on how good it is, really.

Oh,it will have a big opening weekedn, but I think it actually has to be good to make th ekind of bucks some people are saying.

It has to be a GOOD prequel to LK, not jus a mediocre rehash of elements of the original backsated to Mufasa.