YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

Despite all the mess the industry faces, Pixar is coming strong out of it.

Onward came out in the worst timing possible, but it was massive on D+. Then it came Soul that sadly didn't have a shot at box office but they won an Oscar and have another massive streaming hit.

This year Luca came out of nowhere again without a chance on theaters but received great reviews, stellar audience reception and became a monster on streaming that could easily be the most consumed movie on streaming on it's first months based on Nielsen numbers (is on top 10 for more than 4 months straight).

Next year they have Turning Red with a very creative concept that could be great since it's directed by a woman of color. And of course Lightyear with this gigantic teaser, people is really excited, could be a monster on box office.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Why would it outgross toy story 4 from two years ago.. ?

This will have more crossover appeal than TS4. So it'll get the TS crowd and the those who wouldn't be as interested in TS but would be interested in an animated space adventure film. 

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

This will have more crossover appeal than TS4. So it'll get the TS crowd and the those who wouldn't be as interested in TS but would be interested in an animated space adventure film. 

Actually I do think in exchange for going more action oriented (while granted Incredibles 2 was big it was more so due to nostalgia), it’ll do smaller numbers than TS3/4. I also think legs may be a bit weaker as it’ll likely skew more male than female, as that demographic tends to rush out OW.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Actually I do think in exchange for going more action oriented (while granted Incredibles 2 was big it was more so due to nostalgia), it’ll do smaller numbers than TS3/4. I also think legs may be a bit weaker as it’ll likely skew more male than female, as that demographic tends to rush out OW.

I think it can open to $140m+ and do 3.1-3.4x 

25 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

This is starting to feel like Lego Batman. "People loved Lego Movie! People love Batman! It'll reach 300M guyz!"

The utter destruction of The Lego Cinematic Universe still pains my heart today. 

48 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I agree with this. Particularly, I don't think Lightyear will have as much appeal to young kids despite having that loose Toy Story connection. The main selling point of Toy Story to kids is the whole lighthearted hijinks with the gang of talking toys. So while the premise of Lightyear is interesting, it does feel like it will skew older due to trading whimsy and fun for a more serious and grounded story. The trailer views definitely indicate a lot of potential interest though, so I think finishing in the $300 million range would be my prediction for now.

• Like 2

Look, I honestly can't think of the last spin-off film that increased from the previous film, at least domestically. Minions was basically billed as Despicable Me 2.5, yet it still declined from Despicable Me 2. And yes I know Lightyear will probably have better reception, but going above 434M, especially when family audience turnout, even by June, will still be up in the air...well, all I can say is when you all have a meltdown when this only gets to 275M or whatever...I told you so.