YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I’m confident this will end up another Disney Plus exclusive.

Really?  You think they'd punt on that much potential money from an established IP?  I get cynicism regarding Disney and Pixar considering recent history, but kiiiiinda think cynicism would point to this being put in theaters to chase the Almighty Dollar.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It won't. The movie's social media accounts say "In Theaters Summer 2022" (the accounts for Luca and Turning Red were never committed to anything concrete beyond "coming June 2021/March 2022"). Rule of thumb with Disney is that they firmly state how the movie will be released in the marketing (Death on the Nile and Doctor Strange 2 have also used "only in theaters" in their marketing campaigns).

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is IP and only IP matters for theatrical release for Chapek. That said, I see him pulling some BS and making this a day and date with Premier Access.

• Like 1

This is a Toy Story spinoff, so I could see Chapek being more confident in a theatrical release.

Also, Jesus Christ, Michael Giacchino is everywhere these days. Back in the early to mid 2010s, people complained about how over saturated Hans Zimmer’s music was, but I’m starting to feel that with Giacchino. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sure, I could see a day-and-date release. But if Turning Red is a hit on D+ in March, I can absolutely see Chapek seeing this as an opportunity to increase the subscriber base.

Would the base increase be worth all the theatirical profits he would be throwing down the drain?

And  I think that the D+ strategy is really based on selling their TV series anyway.

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Would the base increase be worth all the theatirical profits he would be throwing down the drain?

And  I think that the D+ strategy is really based on selling their TV series anyway.

Studios don’t care about theaters or theatrical profits anymore. Sad but true

• Like 1

It’s sad we have to debate or second guess whether or not the odds the next Pixar movie will even get a theatrical release.

However with Kenobi and HSM3 and probably Ms Marvel or She Hulk this summer, they should have the necessary content Lord Chapek wants to survive.

Edited by YourMother

Huh. They went from

To infinity and … 🚀 Experience the origin story of a Space Ranger in Disney and Pixar’s #Lightyear, in theaters Summer 2022. 💫

To

Every hero has a beginning. Go on an intergalactic adventure with Disney and Pixar’s #Lightyear this June 17, 2022.

That's interesting. We shall see in a few months.

I like how the poster displays the time instead of the date.

1 minute ago, PNF2187 said:

Huh. They went from

To infinity and … 🚀 Experience the origin story of a Space Ranger in Disney and Pixar’s #Lightyear, in theaters Summer 2022. 💫

To

Every hero has a beginning. Go on an intergalactic adventure with Disney and Pixar’s #Lightyear this June 17, 2022.

I keep telling you guys this is the future for Disney's animated titles (yes this includes WDAS). Disney doesn't care about theatrical anymore.