A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend estimates (3.30~4.1) THG 61 mill

Nothing about THG is disappointing at this stage.So it's acting more like a sequel, who cares? It's going to top $300m with its first film by a wide margin.Great for 21 Jump Street! It'll pass $100m with ease thankfully.Loving the WOTT drop from Clash. At the last minute (or rather at the end of February) I underestimated the American public and thought they would return hence bumping my sub-100m prediction up to 135m to be safe. Of course that was before THG ran riot and pummelled WOTT into oblivion.Absolutely woeful for John Carter, it drops nearly 50% PTA I think.

$67m would've been fantastic.

It doesn't work like that. THG didn't lose any theaters, they just moved them over. So the gross would have been maybe a mill more, if that. I don't feeling like figuring it out exactly, but it's something like $3.00 extra in 250 theaters, so the total really isnt that noticeable.

I hate to sound like a broken record (do any of you even know what that sounds like...are you old enough to have played a record?) but those of us that were realistic about this film have been preaching that because it opened so massively it would behave like a sequel and drop like one. I think a 60% drop is quite good as i thought it would do 57-59 mill. So this hold is very good indeed. But 152 mill for a non sequel is just astonishing and it had no choice but to drop harshly. Still, the films numbers are mind blowing.

THG vs AliceWeekend #1: 131%Weekdays #1: 123%Weekend #2: 97%Alice made 124.8M after 2nd weekend. THG should make a few millions less than that. 365-375M looks like the range.

Edited by Fake

Well, it dropped just 27% this weekend, right? If it dropped that much the rest of the way that would push it over $150 mil.

No direct competition this weekend. Third weekend drops can typically be the best one for a well received film. But with American Reunion coming out and then summer just around the corner, it won't continue dropping like this. It will challenge 125 I think but 150 is just too much, imo.

Im saddened that 21 Jump Street might get hit hard next weekend by AmericanReunion

I hope not. AP movies are beyond overrated, none of those fuckers went onto bigger things, they are all known as Stifler and whatever other names, and Buffy witch is still known as Buffy witch.

I hope not. AP movies are beyond overrated, none of those fuckers went onto bigger things, they are all known as Stifler and whatever other names, and Buffy witch is still known as Buffy witch.

How does the success of the cast have anything to do with the quality of the films? AP's are legendary films. This is a case where the sum is definitely greater than the parts.

This might sound strange right now, but I don't think American Reunion will hurt 21JS at all. I think both play to two different audiences and 21JS has a younger demographic. IMO, 21JS could have a 10m fourth weekend and reach a total upwards of 140m. Fun fact: Journey 2 has been in the top 10 for 8 consecutive weeks. No movie has done that since Bridesmaids. Four movies in the top ten have an average below $1000, including John Carter.