Eric S'ennui

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

Snapshot of USA Twitter Trends from a third party source before they get consolidated by the almighty algorithim:

Spoiler

Twitter Trends - United States

Following are the list of today's top twitter trending topics in United States, Trends last updated 1 minute ago.

LOL at Dave Filoni being the #1 trend in the US.  Okay, it's the middle of the night, so not hard to get something trending right now.  Still.

Also, since I'm on a Twitter kick:

Spoiler

• Haha 1

Ok thoughts gathered a bit more

Spoiler

For whatever reason I thought that somehow the show would make a reason as to why Luke would not be in the episode even if we did meet Grogu but instead we're treated to a fairly interesting training montage that clearly does echo back to Luke's own experience with Yoda. Ahsoka being there was just a complete surprise and a tad surprising we don't really have an update on her ongoing Thrawn mission. The CGI on Luke is way better here than in Mandalorian S2. 

Luke and Ahsoka together is wild but I really do want to see that first encounter which hopefully we may get in the Ahsoka show where it's more relevant. I do find it interesting that it seems that both Luke and Ahsoka are reverting to the old Jedi teaching of no attachment for Grogu which contradicts for me the lesson of ROTJ which was Luke's love for his father is what saved him not any Jedi training. It's not what I expected that Luke doesn't heed that lesson but maybe they'll explain his viewpoint more or if not it's an interesting direction that unfortunately Luke seems to be repeating some of the same mistakes (as we see in TLJ).

What's even more cool though is that the two most interesting characters for me are still Mando and Grogu in the show. Mando still feeling conflicted but wanting to do the right thing and Grogu for the first time the show is asking what does he want in life. When he sees the lightsaber does he get flashbacks to Order 66 (the CGI on those clones was right in line with ROTS lol)? 

Cobb Vanth sad to see him die? But Cad Bane in this time period is hella interesting since he probably isn't the top dog anymore with Boba Fett taking that reign until now. Maybe during the time from ROTJ til now Bane was able to rebuild his cred as one of the best bounty hunters. The effects look good for the most part but I think he's less menacing in look than he was in TCW simple cause that show had the stylized animation. And to top it off the Pykes had time to organise a bombing.

Basically like how an average season of TCW would take you to all parts of the galaxy the same applied here except in one episode lol

In Filoni We Trust 

I like how these live-action shows introduce to the casuals/masses characters already familiar to the hardcore fans yet done such that you don't really feel like you missed anything.

In short this show was basically the SW equivalent of this

The Monstrous Kane makes a shocking WWE Debut - Happy 20th Anniversary! - YouTube

Spoiler

I won't lie, I legit screamed like a jump scare when Ahsoka showed up.  BABY YOU ARE HERE AND BEAUTIFUL.

BUT NOTHING BEATS THE CAD BANE SWERVE.

@Porthos BIIIIIIITCH, WHEN THEY JUST SHOWED THE SILHOUETTE IN THE DISTANCE I WAS LIKE... WAIT.. NOOOOOO..  WAAAAAAAT.  OMG YESSSSSSSSSS.  

I have more detailed thoughts, by my teaser Hot Takes TM Are:

- This series is suuuuuch a mess and disjointed.  This episode was basically the equivalent of play "no attention to the man behind the curtain".  All shinny objects, zero story.

- Congrats on Luke being the True Villain Of The Star Wars Series.  We just never learn!!!

- THOSE ---- KILLED MY TWILEKS YOU -----

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Pathetic.

Spoiler

Not bad but they wasted what was looking like a decent thing for 1.5 episode of nothing ness. 

Also was that snoke? So this is prequels to sequel trilogy now. when do we see Rey now.

ok that was someone who is @Porthos DP for like ages now. LOL.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Pathetic.

Hide contents

Not bad but they wasted what was looking like a decent thing for 1.5 episode of nothing ness. 

Also was that snoke? So this is prequels to sequel trilogy now. when do we see Rey now.

Nah before this 2 last ep it was boring as fuck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Reveal hidden contents

FWIW,

Spoiler

I am reasonable sure that Cobb Vanth is not dead. Got one shot to the shoulder (as opposed to the deputy who got utterly wasted) and a bunch of townfolk screaming for medpacks and the like.

I suspect we're supposed to think it's up in the air over his fate, but, nah.  He's still alive.

Well, reasonably sure he's still alive, as I said. :lol: 

• Like 3

The biggest problem of this show (of which it has several) is that it's a structural mess.

Between the flashbacks probably working better as a single big intro episode to the whole thing to 85% of the past two episodes having nothing to do with the A plot, the show has been unable to get into a rhythm.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The biggest problem of this show (of which it has several) is that it's a structural mess.

Between the flashbacks probably working better as a single big intro episode to the whole thing to 85% of the past two episodes having nothing to do with the A plot, the show has been unable to get into a rhythm.

I wouldn't quite say have "nothing to do with the A plot" but they sure could be working on the connective tissue more, yes.

I think for me it's more that the first four episodes didn't jell as well as they could have, and it's serving in sharp relief to these last two episodes.  I see what they attempted in the first four and how it relates to these latter two, and I'm fairly sure at to what the over-arching theme(s) of the series are, but...

Well...  If a series is gonna be uneven, better it goes out on an upswing than a downward one.  Yes, better still if it isn't uneven, but there are worse fates for TV series. 

I don't know, I much prefer the episode that came before. This one didn't really have anything I found to be really great. It was better than what came before episode 5, apart from maybe part 2, but overall it lacked focus. it kind of stuffed four different things into one episode. That's almost a TROS-like "we hint at 20 things and drop 12 of them before someone can even think about finding them interesting".

Spoiler

The training was okay, but hardly particularly meaningful. It felt jumpy, and with some things I don't really know what the point was supposed to be. Just like the last time Luke appeared, I don't think he came off all that well in terms of the dialogue.

The point Porthos made about the choice is kind of interesting, but it also feels more like that exists to bring Grogu back, not because it is particularly useful in terms of logic.

I have to say, Luke looked much better this time around. Considering how much screentime he had, that is rather impressive. His voice seemed rather dull though.

Don't care one bit about Cad Bane. Though I'll be very disappointed if they actually killed off Cobb Vanth.

The whole situation between the factions doesn't really seem to be all that well build up so far. You have Boba Fett, and hardly anyone with him, which was weird from the get go. You can't take over like that just with a handful of men. Though at least now they kind of seem to build up some sort of leading crew. They never really bothered with all the other factions. They hinted at the Hutts, and then dropped them immediately. Then you get the Pykes, which got least some bits, though them being a big threat happened rather suddenly as well. Everyone else barely gets a mention and is entirely irrelevant.

The whole setup simply doesn't work nearly as well as it does with The Mandalorian. Both in terms of the story in itself, as well as the assembling the crew part.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

Another good episode though a bit unfocused. Definitely these last two episodes have been a step up. Though it almost makes the first 4 feel superfluous, and I don't know what the throughline or overall story of this show is supposed to be. Still, at least it's now fun to watch. 

Spoiler

Anyway Boba vs Cad Bane in the finale, probably riding a Rancor, will be fun. 

I’ve never seen a TV show morph into another show like this before (outside of back door pilots of course). I’m not mad because this was another great episode but I’d love know the thinking that went into that

Spoiler

also: me when I saw @Porthos

giphy.gif

I had no idea who that character was. I just knew the profile pic.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Spoiler

I don't think that it's ever been clear to me that Luke's attachment to his father was what saved the day. I think it's a popular fan headcanon because the "no attachment" rule seems very opposed to a lot of the values in modern society, but there has never been much canon evidence that avoiding attachment was a bad thing on the whole. The whole purpose of the ROTJ scene is illustrating the difference between attachment (selfish) love and compassionate (selfless) love. Anakin sacrifices his life to save Luke (he gets no benefit and purely does this for Luke, as opposed to with Padme, when he does all kinds of horrible things just so that he won't lose her). As far as this episode, it seems clear that Luke is essentially asking Grogu to choose between being a Mandalorian and being a Jedi because the two cultures/lifestyles are pretty diametrically opposed.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Reveal hidden contents

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:
Spoiler

I'm just glad that @Porthosfinally got to make his acting debut.

I expected at least one Giants or Niners quip tho

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Hide contents

also: me when I saw @Porthos

giphy.gif

I had no idea who that character was. I just knew the profile pic.

Spoiler

63pxgq.jpg

Just me, spreading the gospel on this board. 

===

Also  @4815162342.  Cowboy hat was my shoutout to the Houston Astros. ;)

Edited by Porthos