Eric Loves Rey

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

That's back down to the level of the first episode to me, if even that. Quite the step down from last week.

What was up with the chase?

Spoiler

with the bulky speeders and the way they were moving, it felt more like an old folks home escaped on their electric scooters than a "swoop gang" doing a high speed chase.

There were a few interesting bits and pieces in there, but for the most part it was rather bland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

ugly

I would disagree on this.  That's one of the things about Star Wars I find so frustrating.  Their tech and VFX is always top rate and gorgeous.  I'm so obsessed with their StageCraft.  But it reminds me a bit of when I thought about going to film school right out of high school.  I thought, that's dumb.  Who cares if you know how to use a camera, if you don't know what to point it at. And I feel like that's what happening with this show.  They don't know what to point at. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

This episode was ok. There is definitely some interesting ideas being explored. Robert Rodriguez can’t direction action though, please no more.

Good news!  He's only directing one more episode.

Potentially Bad News: It's the season/series finale.

My biggest issue with this episode. 

Spoiler

Last episode we are introduced to intriguing new Hutt villains with a menacing Wookiee enforcer. This week, the Wookiee is taken down rather easily and seems just like a plot device for a "ride the Rancor" storyline, and the Hutts just...leave, to be replaced by the Pykes, who I haven't found very interesting at all in this story. These new biker gang allies are introduced to Boba, but instead of actually trying to develop or differentiate these people beyond their basic concepts, they're just thrown into rote action sequences. So many odd decisions on what parts of this show are given focus. 

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So... is this show a flop? Seems like most people are bored as fuck and viewership numbers are low.

We have to wait for Nielsen to see the exact picture.

But easily the lowest of all MCU and Star Wars live action show. 

Above What if in viewership I guess.

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So... is this show a flop? Seems like most people are bored as fuck and viewership numbers are low.

7 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

We have to wait for Nielsen to see the exact picture.

But easily the lowest of all MCU and Star Wars live action show. 

Above What if in viewership I guess.

Premiere was probably above Hawkeye, if Samba TV metrics are anything to go by,  Retention?  Just have to see.

• Like 1

I liked the first episode, I loved the second but I was cringing with the third one, I felt I was watching a power ranger episode.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Beating Hawkeye doesn't mean much considering that it wasn't quite highly viewed (compared to other Disney+ tentpole shows) either.

Depends what flop means Hawkeye may not be as big as the other Marvel series but is still bigger than something like The Wheel of Time which it's considered a success by Amazon.

Spoiler

Pretty good episode. Glad Boba is completely healed mostly because we should be completely focused on the present now.

Real subtle with the Mando theme at the end. Praying they knock the last 3 episodes out of the park.

Also, when Fennec is cutting through the bars, that’s the same sound as when Anakin cuts off Dooku’s head. Threw me off guard a bit lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:
  Hide contents

Pretty good episode. Glad Boba is completely healed mostly because we should be completely focused on the present now.

Spoiler

You keep hoping that'll happen, but you just KNOW that next week will have flashbacks with how Boba tracked down Mando.

Something something, search your feelings.

• Sad 1

Some general thoughts with three episodes left:

Spoiler

Flashbacks were helped immeasurably by having Fennec around, if only so Boba could, you know, talk to someone [and talk about what he's thinking about].

Still think some of the story doesn't quite connect as well as it should:

Like:

why did Boba wander the desert so long without connecting w/someone to help him?

why was NotSlaveOne still at Jabba's Palace? (okay, that one is a little easy, I suppose — trophy of some sort/they waited until it was back at the hanger)

hell, why was Boba's security so shoddy last week to let Krrsantan get such an easy drop on him?

Just little things here and there that have been bugging me a bit that is stopping this from hitting the next level.

Not saying these things are all that important.  Just that they're not being addressed/didn't need to arise in the first place with a little crisper writing.

Now I do get that Boba started to address some of point one.  I liked quite a bit his musings about how he got sick and tired of working for others/wanted more out of his life. 

And also it's being established that just now he's finally all healed up, so he might not have felt like he could go out guns-blazing like he used to.  Fair does on that score.  But just wandering around doing little?  Well, some folks handle their mid-life crises better than others, I suppose.

(yes, I got the fig leaf about "valuing in people thinking you were dead", but, meh.  Still kinnnnnnda think Boba Wandered The Ends of the Earth the Sands of Tatooine Because The Plot Said So, rather than naturally arising from the situation, but, eh — little can be done about it now)

Those gripes aside, all in all trending in the right direction, so I'll reserve more of my judgement till the end.