Eric S'ennui

Beau is Afraid | April 21, 2023 | A24 | Ari Aster directs. Joaquin stars

1/5th a truly great movie with incredibly exciting sequences, 3/5ths an ambitious mess with some cool sequences, and the last 5th was just utter trite dog-shit with maybe the most film school-ass final shot in ages. It's kind of about nothing, and trying to dig deep into it thematically only makes it worse, but I had an insane amount of fun for the first 2 hours 40 ish minutes. Just wish it didn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth at the very end.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RichWS said:

The first half hour is so damn good and funny. Everything after that? There's good stuff there but man, I was really feeling the length towards the end when I thought, "Ok Ari, I get your themes already!" 

The first half hour really might be Aster's best work yet

I wasn't that into it. Ari Aster's technical filmmaking skill is fully on display here, there are sequences where it really works, some very funny stuff but overall it felt more indulgent and patience-testing than interesting or entertaining.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

There is so much to unpack here. Some parts of it were incredible, some were downright ridiculous, I'll have to mull over it a bit especially about the ending, but I'd simply be lying if I said I wasn't into it throughout. I'll say though, you really start to feel the length here, 3 hours of this is A LOT.

This film isn't perfect and it's definitely not even close to being a "career ender" but it's a film that overall I enjoyed picking apart and looking for the details. It's funny that a lot of people hate the middle of this film and I feel that's the best part it. It's a glorious looking sequence that I fell in love with. There's strong performances from everyone. I loved Nathan Lane in this. I would of liked to seen more of Richard Kind cause I just enjoy him. None the less this film is definitely not for general audiences and i'm glad A24 didn't push this like Mother!. This film could of cut some of this down, the themes are repeated, and its pretty damn pretentious. I'm glad I got to see this though.  

Even with EEAAO becoming their biggest hit of all time, the auteur film is simply too risky and often they wiped out the surplus from other success. In the market where auteur film has less room to thrive, INDIE studio like A24 just have to adapt. It is a sad but true reality. You won't get EEAAO every year. 

That being said, their Q4 releases look quite promising especially dream scenario.  

On 10/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, crazymoviekid said:

Maybe their "big-budget" title like Beau don't do well because A24 is still stuck in depending on viral marketing and WOM.  If they want to do make big numbers, they have to actually market their films.  

And that viral marketing trick seems to have vanished for them after audiences felt burned too many times by them not getting the movie they thought they were getting from the trailers.

Still, I love A24 it'll be a shame if they chase hits but I guess that just reality of the business.

I like Beau is Afraid, and after Hereditary and Midsommar obviously they felt Ari had earned a bigger budget but man, there was no way this movie was ever going to go over well with the GA and make money.

Edited by Dominic Draper