cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Jesus everyone's acting like this is the first Marvel movie to ever have reshoots.

my friend. These are not just ordinary reshoots. This movie was completed enough to screen for audiences It is obvious the reaction was terrible so they have to push the movie back, hire a new writer, and do months of reshoots to salvage it. This is looking like a Solo type movie

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Is every Marvel thread from now on going to be filled with people going “this is going to bomb,” and people like Spiderbyte arguing with them? 

I guess I'll eventually flip around to shill my halfhearted position that 

hulk smash GIF

Is, in fact, a good marketing pitch and like Godzilla/Kong really should be able to find a decent floor. Can they get there?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, John Marston said:

my friend. These are not just ordinary reshoots. This movie was completed enough to screen for audiences It is obvious the reaction was terrible so they have to push the movie back, hire a new writer, and do months of reshoots to salvage it. This is looking like a Solo type movie

Test screenings before reshoots is...also entirely normal? And no, this is not 

Solo level extensive. There are zero reports outside your imagination that corroborate that claim. I swear to God people here are just making up reasons to be upset now.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Literally half the board now is just idiots posting bait to start fights. Someone was ranting in the Marvel thread that this movie cost more than Infinity War because of the reshoots. No. No it doesn't. How on earth would it.

On the other hand, you can easily argue IW cost more than $350M USD (what I take the other guy to be saying). 

For fun, let's look at Assembled Productions 3 UK Limited, a production company that includes IW 1 and IW2 rolled together into a single corporate tax entity. 

From early 2016 (start of tax entity) to June 30th, 2017 (IW wrapped in July 2017), IW+Endgame combined spent 247M million pounds in the UK (Endgame filmed back2back with IW with main principal photography running from Aug 2017 TO Jan 2018). The next year (through 10 weeks of IW's theatrical release) (coving all of IW post/a lot of endgame's filming and some backend pay), the 2 films spent a combined 430M pounds. The next year (more IW revenue + endgame's full shoot + post + post-release revenue) gives 300M pounds of cost. So overall that's ~$1B pounds split between two films but inclusive of stuff other than the production budget. 

If we just pretend 10% of IW's theatrical rentals are backend pay included as costs for UK tax purposes, that's ~75 pounds (just using 50% rental rate). So that still leaves ~>750M USD to split mostly on the IW side of the ladder, right for the period running through the start of IW release? We really sure this doesn't go down as a 400-500M budgeted film?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10068015/filing-history

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Literally half the board now is just idiots posting bait to start fights. Someone was ranting in the Marvel thread that this movie cost more than Infinity War because of the reshoots. No. No it doesn't. How on earth would it.

I thinks its more idiotic trying to defend  mega corpos like Disney that doesn't even care of the quality of they products anymore, and ever less for the few remaining fans of their MCU.

Reshoots being expensive is just pure logic, you have to bring back thousands of people (filming crews that operate the cameras, lighting, sound, actors, extras, screen writers, etc. ) and on top of that is the cost of post production (VFX, CGI, editing, etc..) which in blockbusters its even more expensive than production itself.

We know they are doing 5 months of reshoots for this thing, so do the math.

Edited by Belakor

3 hours ago, Belakor said:

Reshoots being expensive is just pure logic, you have to bring back thousands of people (filming crews that operate the cameras, lighting, sound, actors, extras, screen writers, etc. ) and on top of that is the cost of post production (VFX, CGI, editing, etc..) which in blockbusters its even more expensive than production itself

Yes, which is why every single Marvel production has a scheduled reshoot window specifically to make sure all those people are available. This is not news.

3 hours ago, Belakor said:

No, the scheduled reshoot window is five months. Which is not the same as just five months straight of filming.

Guys reshoots aren't some unheard of thing, they happen all the time. It does not magically double the cost of production.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

The vast majority of big movies do in fact have reshoots, especially CBM’s. It’s pointless to try and take it as a sign of anything at this stage. The movie doesn’t even come out for a whole year. 

You'd think this is the first movie to ever shoot footage after principal photography with how everyone is acting like this is an unprecedented thing. Every Cap movie has had reshoots.

9 hours ago, Belakor said:

Movies don't even do 5 months of shooting, period. So thinking they're doing 5 months of reshoots is real weird. It's clearly a timeframe. I believe most big movies take like 3 months to shoot or so.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Big yikes at this news. Agreed that these aren’t regular reshoots. 

A completely new writer has been hired for them. 

This film doesn’t stand a chance anyway. 

In fairness, Rogue One also brought in a new writer for the reshoots, and while I didn’t care for the movie, it seemed to pay off. At the very least, this was delayed to 2025, so they should have time to iron things out. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

In fairness, Rogue One also brought in a new writer for the reshoots, and while I didn’t care for the movie, it seemed to pay off. At the very least, this was delayed to 2025, so they should have time to iron things out. 

Rogue One seems to be a popular example online but let’s face it, it was a one off. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Big yikes at this news. Agreed that these aren’t regular reshoots. 

A completely new writer has been hired for them

Have people just lost their memory of the past 10 years, no, this is not unheard of. New writer does not mean they've completely rewritten the film.

Edited by SpiderByte

Sounds like they’re giving up on this being profitable and trying to make it something people will at least like in hopes to generate some goodwill at least for MCU again. Which begs the question of how garbage was the script back before they realized this year MCU is absolutely not too big to fail?  Ridiculous how little quality control was going on with this franchise. 

But yeah, near 0% chance now of this not losing money based on the position it was already in and the cost of these kind of reshoots. 

Edited by MovieMan89