Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (6/4-6) | Conjuring 24M Weekend, Quiet Place 19.5, Cruella 11.24

2 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Oh yeah! If @el sid's data is reliable (minus Spiral which underperformed massively), it may have a better chance at $35M+. Still, I'm being safe than sorry with mid-20s opening.

That'd be great. However i'm really torn, i don't really want it to do too good. I'm hella mad at WB for putting it on streaming

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That'd be great. However i'm really torn, i don't really want it to do too good. I'm hella mad at WB for putting it on streaming

I think we need it to do great to prove to WB that cinema is alive and their paywall-less access is non-sense and left too much money on table.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Wouldn’t you want these movies to do well if you want them to stay in theaters? If they bomb, Warner will just think “guess people don’t like going to the movies. We’ll just put all our movies on HBO Max then”

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Wouldn’t you want these movies to do well if you want them to stay in theaters? If they bomb, Warner will just think “guess people don’t like going to the movies. We’ll just put all our movies on HBO Max then”

I guess you're right, but if WB sees they do pretty good in theaters while release at the same time on streaming, they will likely continue with this day and date strategy

Edited by Maggie

Just now, Maggie said:

I guess you're right, but if WB sees they do pretty good in theaters while release as the same time as streaming, they will likely continue with this day and date strategy

So? You can still a movie in theaters with this strategy. And people are clearly still interested in a theatrical option

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

So? You can still a movie in theaters with this strategy. And people are clearly still interested in a theatrical option

Well, yeah, for the time being the strategy is ok, but in the long run, people will likely abandon theaters

Edited by Maggie

The fact Cruella got a sequel announcement despite these "OKish" numbers proves that box office is no longer the best indicator of a movie being satisfying or not, reception and streaming numbers might matter as much.

They seem to see the potential for it being its own thing instead of a unique prequel, and the very strong reception as a way to bring people to Disney+ in the future, probably a good merchandising potential too.

It's pretty nice to have reach a point where BO performance is no longer the be-all and end-all of an IP.

• Knock It Off 2

Just now, Fullbuster said:

The fact Cruella got a sequel announcement despite these "OKish" numbers proves that box office is no longer the best indicator of a movie being satisfying or not, reception and streaming numbers might matter as much.

They seem to see the potential for it being its own thing instead of a unique prequel, and the very strong reception as a way to bring people to Disney+ in the future, probably a good merchandising potential too.

It's pretty nice to have reach a point where BO performance is no longer the be-all and end-all of an IP.

Go Away GIF

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

This. We do not know the PA numbers and Disney is likely not gonna reveal but the numbers must be good enough to warrant a sequel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Cruella getting a sequel due to great home video sales is no different to something like Batman Begins getting a sequel due to great home video sales. It's always been true that the BO performance isn't the be-all and end-all of an IP if a movie does well at home.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Cruella getting a sequel due to great home video sales is no different to something like Batman Begins getting a sequel due to great home video sales. It's always been true that the BO performance isn't the be-all and end-all of an IP if a movie does well at home.

True but home video having a big say in a movie's performance has increasingly been much less been the case sine 2010. Home video (in the US at least) crashed in 2011 and it hasn't really been the same since. 

Edited by ogkalu
  • Like 2

To me there´s no reason to worry about WB or any other studio, they need theaters especially for expensive movies, that´s a fact and they all know it.

The thing is that the 90-day window are always more of a exhibitor condition than everything, most movies don´t really need much more than 45 days because they made most of their money in those 7 first weekends.

Now that exhibitors aren´t really in condition of keeping demanding the way they do it before pandemic, studios put their wishes on card, and we just need to accept. Streaming is a reality, and depending on the point of view is just as lucrative as theaters, studios are seeing this and are trying to entered this industry too, that´s what WB did.

They always knew they´re going to lose money with their slate this year, they decided to put everything at HBO Max because the industry are still recovering and they need content for their platform right now, they´re eyeing other business for a long term. Hoping that something will make them see they´re losing money and revert what it´s decided for this year at this point is unrealistic, it´s done and that´s it.

But it´s largely announced that next year all the movies will have at least 45 day theatrical exclusive before reaching streaming (and will continue at theaters after that anyway for who want it), so it´s fine, maybe not ideal but theaters and movie business will survive like it always did. WB already made the 45 days deal with theaters, Disney and Paramount is following, everyone will go back putting their movies for theatrical exclusive releases, just for lesser time.

This whole situation are even helping that future Netflix movies and other movies financed by streaming platforms could reach theaters, something that before are impossible because exhibitors are relentless about their exclusive window, so yeah, the industry is just changing, not dying.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Studios announce sequels this early to create some hype around the current release. It happens all the time. 

I don't remember Disney officially announcing a sequel that doesn't happen.

And they never made sequels for flops. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't remember Disney officially announcing a sequel that doesn't happen.

And they never made sequels for flops. 

Yep you're right, they completely made this up, it's not a thing and certainly not at Disney.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1