Eric the Fall Guy

The Exorcist: Believer | Universal/Blumhouse/Peacock | October 13, 2023 | RIP William Friedkin

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Really don't know how they're going to make a society that has in many ways moved on from religion, at least compared to what where it was back in the 1970s, care about this. 

The Conjuring films still make money, I see no reason why a decent Exorcist movie couldn’t also make money. I’m about as far from religious as you can get, but The Exorcist is one of my favourite films. The story is what makes it work, not purely religious superstition from the viewer.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The Conjuring films still make money, I see no reason why a decent Exorcist movie couldn’t also make money. I’m about as far from religious as you can get, but The Exorcist is one of my favourite films. The story is what makes it work, not purely religious superstition from the viewer.

I do not watch horror movies outside of the classics; are the conjuring movies really religious? I mean intrinsically religious, like the exorcist, not superficially so like the overwhelming majority of horror movies

On 3/12/2023 at 9:56 AM, excel1 said:

Really don't know how they're going to make a society that has in many ways moved on from religion, at least compared to what where it was back in the 1970s, care about this. 

You have not been followinf the political news in the US lately, have you? Religion is far from dead in the US.

And last time I looked, the Catholic Church was still very much a going concern despite it;s problems.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

You have not been followinf the political news in the US lately, have you? Religion is far from dead in the US.

And last time I looked, the Catholic Church was still very much a going concern despite it;s problems.

where do I say religion is dead?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, excel1 said:

where do I say religion is dead?

I think saying "Society has move beyond religion " is pretty much the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, the Religious right in the US scares the absolute hell out of me  but I think there power is a sign that , in the us at least, scoeity sure as hell had not moved beyond religion.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, dudalb said:

I think saying "Society has move beyond religion " is pretty much the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, the Religious right in the US scares the absolute hell out of me  but I think there power is a sign that , in the us at least, scoeity sure as hell had not moved beyond religion.

It isn't the same thing. Anti-religous stuff generated mainstream controversy back in the 60s and 70s. Nobody bats an eye at it. The times are very different. There are far less true believers.

Frankly, it would be an interesting and possibly compelling take on the material if an element of the film dealt with this dynamic. 

• Like 2

My question is, is it too long and not scary because it's faithful to the style and tone of the original film and the unsuspecting test audience aren't used to that from studio horror these days, or is it actually too long and not scary? Specifically calling it "too long and not scary" makes it sound like either case is plausible. Something I thought DGG did very well with the Halloween movies was understanding how they felt and who Michael Myers was, so I'm very curious if he's going to go for something even remotely close to what The Exorcist was.

• Like 2

assuming it's not just NYC being NYC (2023 NYC audiences seem like people who'd also dislike the original exorcist), im pretty surprised they let this movie be shot without a script they were 100% confident in considering how much money they spent on getting the rights to what is barely a franchise these days

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 1