Eric Loves Rey

The Exorcist: Believer | Universal/Blumhouse/Peacock | October 13, 2023 | RIP William Friedkin

I think the problem with this is that it doesn’t look any different to any other exorcism themed film. That said, when the film that it’s a sequel to is the exorcism film that defined a whole horror sub-genre, it’s probably hard to make it look any different. They’re in a lose-lose situation with this I think, either they make a film that is different and it gets rejected for being “nothing like The Exorcist” or they make something like what this trailer makes it look like and it looks generic by default because exorcism films have become formulaic since 1973.

Really, this isn’t a series that needed continuing after the first film (as much as I have a soft spot for Exorcist 3).

The Friday the 13th date will probably save it from an embarrassing OW, but I can see it dropping off a cliff long before Halloween.

• Like 2

Looks cheap and small scale. What the fuck were they thinking?

This film needs a unique atmosphere, not a made for tv circa 2001 appearance. 

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Reminding everyone this movie cost 133M.

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

No way really? That would be a suicidal budget.

Ah, it’s not the production budget for this film. Universal, Blumhouse, Morgan Creek and Peacock paid $400m for the rights to the franchise in 2021.

Paying for rights isn’t applied to a films budget. 

Plus, it included the rights to stream and re-release the previous 5 films in the franchise (including directors cut), the two TV seasons and the three upcoming films. Plus any merchandising and license use. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:13 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This looks horrible but good enough trailer and interest will get it a good opening previews/day but it'll crumble throughout the weekend

COmes down to how much they actually spent on this, really,

I think they really, really, overpaid for the franchise rights to this. Now it has at least 100 Million overhead if you divide the 400 Million they paid for the franchise as a whole on top of the production and marketing costs.

And it not like there is not  a very sucessful franchise based on Exorcisms out there........

Edited by dudalb

The Exorcist really just does not work as a film series. The two exorcists we're introduced to both die in the first movie, and the prequels they have tried to make have been far less interesting. It's a complete story that tells the best possible story about exorcism it can. They'd be better off just remaking the first film or turning it into a tv series rather than trying to turn it into a franchise with a new story. I've read the book and it's even better than the movie IMO, so it could be very good if they adapt it faithfully. 

• Like 1