WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

International markets are dead. This would have done way more in "normal times". The big blockbusters in the fall/winter are gonna lose lots of money without the OS market

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Paw Patrol's weekend multiplier doesn't seem all that strong for a movie aimed primarily at pre-schoolers, even one from an established TV franchise. Not that it matters since it's sure to turn a profit soon.

It feels cruel to even laugh at Reminiscence joining the embarrassing ranks of WB's worst wide openers, an ignominious achievement that places it alongside titles like Steel, A Dog of Flanders, and the already forgotten Zac Efron bomb We Are Your Friends from 6 years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

After weeks of meltdowns seeing 70% drops every week now we get an overperformer that drop only 33% on second weekend (could be 30% if Disney overestimate Sunday drop), all this in the middle of Delta peak.

This movie have potential to reach 130M if keeps dropping this way.

bodes well for shang chi......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

International markets are dead. This would have done way more in "normal times". The big blockbusters in the fall/winter are gonna lose lots of money without the OS market

yeah os markets are indeed dead just look at free guys os sec weekend drop... oh wait......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

if os markets are dead then they are dead for every movie bro not for some of them.....

Black Widow a supposed blockbuster posted flop numbers OS. It needed much more. OS has no streaming for BW. It's dead OS

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Black Widow a supposed blockbuster posted flop numbers OS. It needed much more. OS has no streaming for BW. It's dead OS

Ummm...it did have streaiming OS. Premier Access was a global thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, OT but since I mentioned trampoline parks, I figured I had a Groupon on the shelf and my spouse should use it for my kids today before our area gets worse...

Right now, the closest trampoline place is open 12pm-7pm today.  It is limiting spots to 170 kids/hour (it used to be 400-500).  As of now, no one has pre-reserved a spot til 1:30pm, and the most spots taken are 17 at one time, and 1/2 the hours have no one.

So, it's not just movies...that place will be a ghost town today (which actually is exactly what I want for my kids)...

PS - And Pre-Covid, on weekends, if you walked up to this place on a Sat/Sun, you often were turned away for no room or you had to wait 3 hours for the next available spot with room (yes, that happened once to my spouse who forgot to check)...

PPS - So, it's not "just" movies - it's indoor kid attractions/events...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

... you do realise that d+ is in all the major markets right ? and that it was pirated like hell ?  also how you explain the fact that fast 9 still holds well ?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

UK holds have always been relatively better I think. 

No, the past few weeks has been pretty unusual. We often have huge drops too. 

12 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Great hold actually, considering Friday the 13th last week. 

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

BW is on streaming in the US and it's doing about the same numbers OS. It's not good

It’s been streaming everywhere, not just the US. 

• Like 2

F9 is doing pretty good because it has no competition OS

I suppose Shang Chi will do well. There seems to be a lot of hype and an empty September. The problem is that come October, movies will have lots of competition