WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

Reposting from the buzz thread:

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Looking at a few theaters, Night House/Protégé/Reminiscence are selling on the same level. Night House is faring better than the other two but not by a wide margin. I'm gonna guess 2-4M for all of them. Paw Patrol is also doing well with group sales like Space Jam did (maybe a quarter of its sales though, especially without Regal), but it varies market to market. 

A couple other observations:

Free Guy isn't doing too well in PLFs tonight from the few theaters I'm looking at, but with so many screens, the crowds are dispersed. (Side note: Disney Springs cancelled all Dolby shows today; I was planning to see it until that happened :( )

Jungle Cruise is selling well for a film in its fourth week, but Respect is looking dead. I would not be surprised if FG, PP, and JC are the only movies over 5M this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Reminiscence and Night House are nearly identical but IMAX will probably give Reminiscence the edge. Protege leads both 

Agree with this. Protégé will probably fare better with matinees on Sat and Sun to get it over Night House.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Very ugly weekend approaching. I was hoping for some good holds for holdhovers at least, but not even that. The market really cant sustain itself.

At least 40-50M looks good for Shang-Chi...

Next weekend will be a traditional end of August desert and feel like one of the worst weekends we've had during the pandemic.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Very ugly weekend approaching. I was hoping for some good holds for holdhovers at least, but not even that. The market really cant sustain itself.

It will be a good weekend for Free Guy and Jungle Cruise, also Paw Patrol (vs expectations from a few weeks ago, going to underperform hopes from like 5 days ago).   

The rest is absolutely carnage, but looks like pretty normal August product doldrums with a dash of streaming. I don’t know that I’d expect these to be much higher with the same release dates and distribution models even if covid had never happened to begin with.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Reminiscence and Protege still don't have an RT audience score yet

Currently, 99% for Paw Patrol, 63% for Night House

It's a given Night House would have terrible audience scores considering it's an indie arthouse horror but after seeing last night, I think it might even go under C. It has all the trademarks to piss the mainstream off: slow-moving and inconclusive ending

• Like 1