WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

Just now, Maggie said:

F9 is doing pretty good because it has no competition OS

I suppose Shang Chi will do well. There seems to be a lot of hype and an empty September. The problem is that come October, movies will have lots of competition

But that is another problem.

Obviously lots of foreign markets are in a bad situation but majority already get the Delta peak, things on lots of OS countries will be better than US itself in october. It's not dead, piracy always f-cked up foreign numbers.

But the flood of releases was always expected sometime this year, there's not much they can do, it happens when everyone delay their movies for a year.

• Like 2

Paw Patrol isn't playing at any of the non-AMC theaters around here and is day and date streaming so I'm not surprised, though the early numbers this week had me a little more hopeful. The other movies were very clearly dog days of August flops no matter what would have happened.

Thinking about $16m for Candyman next weekend, so Old numbers. Then about 53/65 Labor Day weekend for Shang Chi, which is more than good enough IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Black Widow a supposed blockbuster posted flop numbers OS. It needed much more. OS has no streaming for BW. It's dead OS

Black Widow may have added 150-200 million from China had it been released there. That means its final gross would likely have been 550-600 million worldwide. It would not have beaten F9 worldwide, but would have been much closer. The numbers now look slightly disappointing because of no China release and lockdowns in some places.

• Like 1

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Black Widow may have added 150-200 million from China had it been released there. That means its final gross would likely have been 550-600 million worldwide. It would not have beaten F9 worldwide, but would have been much closer. The numbers now look slightly disappointing because of no China release and lockdowns in some places.

its mostly bc of pa and lack of china

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Is this even gonna pass WW84 WW?

Yes! WW84 faced a lot tougher conditions - more than 1/2 theaters closed and capacity restrictions, so it would be almost impossible for TSS not to pass it. 

WW84 helped HBOMAX tremendously so I don’t think Warner is disappointed. TSS suffered because of streaming and the bad taste the Ayers version left.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Yes! WW84 faced a lot tougher conditions - more than 1/2 theaters closed and capacity restrictions, so it would be almost impossible for TSS not to pass it. 

WW84 helped HBOMAX tremendously so I don’t think Warner is disappointed. TSS suffered because of streaming and the bad taste the Ayers version left.

Eh, I think it goes beyond streaming and the 2016 film though I'm sure they added to it.. That seems like easy scape goats and a reason to not examine the film itself.

The first film had will Smith, batman and joker. This had John cena and weasel. 

Its also rated r and was off putting to a portion of the audience including myself. Theres a reason this had the same cinemascore as the first. None of the trailers were big and the marketing was poor.

My thoughts anyway.

• Like 5

Free Guy’s performance is a textbook example of what a movie would never have without theater exclusivity. 

Word of mouth and headlines about how well it’s doing. It creates a storm of people wanting to see it. The more exclusive it is the more of an event it is. Which ultimately means even better performance when it does come to digital etc as if you didn’t see it you’ll still associate it with success, then buy it/rent it. 

Day and date is so much more of a here today, gone tomorrow situation.  There’s just no comparison.  As soon as you hit digital you’re just another commodity vying for attention before you disappear behind the next million thumbnails. 

Movies are special when treated as such. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Free Guy’s performance is a textbook example of what a movie would never have without theater exclusivity. 

Word of mouth and headlines about how well it’s doing. It creates a storm of people wanting to see it. The more exclusive it is the more of an event it is. Which ultimately means even better performance when it does come to digital etc as if you didn’t see it you’ll still associate it with success, then buy it/rent it. 

Day and date is so much more of a here today, gone tomorrow situation.  There’s just no comparison.  As soon as you hit digital you’re just another commodity vying for attention before you disappear behind the next million thumbnails. 

Agreed. The sooner we get away from this day and date stuff the better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Day and Date might not last but severely shortened windows will be here to stay. Studios will want to cash in on that word of mouth aspect rather than have it fizzle out before the PVOD window. 30 days is what I imagine it’ll land at of Disney pushes for it. 

It is truly unbelievable how bad all of the streamers are at giving their streaming films a lasting cultural footprint. Netflix in particular - I know tons of people who watched Extraction and Murder Mystery, hence their record numbers, but they haven't generated so much as a meme or a minor news cycle. Bird Box is the only one that really stuck. It's even worse for the other streamers. And yet, Ted Lasso and I Think You Should Leave are the main source of memes and fun left in the world.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Maggie said:

F9 is doing pretty good because it has no competition OS

I suppose Shang Chi will do well. There seems to be a lot of hype and an empty September. The problem is that come October, movies will have lots of competition

Man people still trying to down play F9 succes. I doubt if BW was release in China it still wouldn't beat it. It will be  close tho.

• Like 3

I hope Paramount fudges APQ2's total if needs be cause I want 300M WW. Fantastic achievement, pretty close to what was expected of it before the pandemic.  Get that 700M WW.

F9 winning the summer WW by a landslide is a great surprise. I know that odds were in Marvel favor even with PA so we have a bit of a twist ha ha. 

Free Guy hold is amazing, nothing to add. 

Edited by Valonqar

Free Guy's drop is actually similar to We're the Millers (32% drop second weekend), another mid-August comedy that came sorta out of nowhere and surprised everyone in the long run (with this movie having much better reviews as well). Given all the "comedies are dead at the multiplex" handwringing in recent years (the last "original"/non-sequel one to cross $100M was Girls Trip four years ago), this is definitely a win for the genre.

The Suicide Squad obviously would've done better in normal times with no streaming release at the same time but even then nothing indicates it would have made more than $110-120M in total at most. A disappointment and franchise-killer (especially with that budget) for the studio regardless. The 2016 movie's massive overperformance was clearly a fluke.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

Day and date obviously is going to end, but the shortened window isn't going anywhere.

If a movie develop spectacular legs than maybe more than 45 days, but most movies are still going to make most of it's money on 30-45 days and going to digital or streaming right after, which is reasonable.

I never understand why movies that clearly died after weekend 4 or 5 have to wait 4 months or so before being available at others platforms.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Day and date obviously is going to end, but the shortened window isn't going anywhere.

If a movie develop spectacular legs than maybe more than 45 days, but most movies are still going to make most of it's money on 30-45 days and going to digital or streaming right after, which is reasonable.

I never understand why movies that clearly died after weekend 4 or 5 have to wait 4 months or so before being available at others platforms.

yep. I’m cool with 45 days. Pre-pandemic I wasn’t, but now….I think it will be just fine. 

• Like 2

Just now, wildphantom said:

yep. I’m cool with 45 days. Pre-pandemic I wasn’t, but now….I think it will be just fine. 

I prefer something like 60days, especially for big player like BP, EG or TLK, or those movies with great legs like KO, or BR