WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

6 hours ago, AJG said:

Add this to the list of “Forgotten Films of The Pandemic”, alongside every Netflix Original Movie (remember Mank, The Prom, Hillbilly Elligy, Tigertail, Project Power, Extraction???)

I had a blast watching Unhinged and I’ll always remember it was my first film back in the cinema after the first lockdown.  

I’ve never seen it, but isn’t Extraction the most watched Netflix film of all time and getting a sequel? 

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

And they have marketed it as Disney movie as well. With Cruella, Black Widow, Jungle Cruise and now Free guy they certainly are performing well

I’m still most impressed by Old from the summer films lol. Currently at 4.25x it’s budget with Japan yet to open. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BK007 said:

Also ironic that Disney is also responsible for a movie proving theatrical exclusives do well.

I mean, they don't deserve the credit considering all these are leftover Fox movies which I assume are contractually obligated to be exclusive releases.

But lame that even in these times Disney is still #1. Ugh.

Disney is responsible?

Not F9? Quiet Place 2?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

You're discounting the fact that these studios likely have access to internal data we don't and what they're seeing from it is "outlook: not so good" (a good bet if all the studios have begun abandoning the theatrical-exclusive releases on the remaining animated releases of the year, especially when they have to make final marketing decisions about them real soon). There's certainly a reason why Universal decided to sit on Minions 2 for another full year (FYI animated movies don't have the same kinds of contracts making them that live-action movies require, which is possibly why so many of them have ended up going straight to streaming throughout the pandemic). Will gladly be proven wrong if the data shows different in the weeks/months ahead but as of now you're argument here is holding as much weight as your "streaming (and not just plain audience apathy, as plenty of signs were pointing to) is what killed The Suicide Squad from coming anywhere close to its potential" one from two weeks ago.

I never spoke of TSS’s potential. Never predicted a number for it. 
Only that it’s another example of WB putting a movie online for free and ending up burning money. 

TSS is on its way to what would have been a $100 million US equivalent in the U.K.  We know why that is. 

….and my opinion that a kids movie could have done great business this summer is just my opinion. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

What misinformation are you talking about?

Veering wildly into fake news here. Are the full pediatric ICUs in Florida a sign that people should not be worried about their kids who aren't approved to take the vaccines?

Movies whose target audiences are demographics that have been vaccinated & without dependents should do well if left as theatrical exclusives, but when no animated movie has topped $60m yet, there's obviously hesitation. Yes, most if not all of them have been available on streaming platforms, however if they weren't, you still wouldn't be seeing the blockbuster numbers of the past yet.

What the studios need to be careful about is making high tier animated movies an expectation. Things like Reminiscence and the Protege look like they belong on Netflix. Generic action movies are a staple of DTV and now streaming. Sci-fi/fantasy has always been a hard sell in the States for whatever reason and many turn out the way of Reminiscence. As someone said, in a world without a pandemic, sci-fi dropping at the end of August is a recipe for bomb level numbers no matter who is starring.

International audiences tend to be more forgiving but those markets are still mostly dead. Reminiscence is my kind of movie, though the ratings are crap, I'll still give it a shot if it ever comes here.

my misinformation quip was a little vague I admit.

I guess I just see people taking their kids everywhere else and don’t understand this ‘big bad movie theater’ phenomenon that is the only place you definitely can’t take your kid.  That notion is a belief around this community, and that’s up to that individual.  I just don’t buy it, and think the box office is a reflection on the release distribution, not the audience. 

PP’s opening this weekend proves that people want to take their kids to new movies. We just need the studios to put them out. Again, not saying they aren’t, but if exclusive I think we’d see very impressive numbers. 

Disneyland is absolutely rammed to the rafters every single day. 
Guess what happens if they don’t open their marquee attractions? People might not go to the same degree. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

my misinformation quip was a little vague I admit.

I guess I just see people taking their kids everywhere else and don’t understand this ‘big bad movie theater’ phenomenon that is the only place you definitely can’t take your kid.  That notion is a belief around this community, and that’s up to that individual.  I just don’t buy it, and think the box office is a reflection on the release distribution, not the audience. 

PP’s opening this weekend proves that people want to take their kids to new movies. We just need the studios to put them out. Again, not saying they aren’t, but if exclusive I think we’d see very impressive numbers. 

Disneyland is absolutely rammed to the rafters every single day. 
Guess what happens if they don’t open their marquee attractions? People might not go to the same degree. 

It didn't help last year when Hollywood itself and its stars tried to make theaters image as a germ bomb that could never be entered until we had a vaccine (see Tenet's release).  It doesn't matter that it's like eating at a restaurant, and probably safer - you get an image.

It didn't help when streaming offered all the deals and plans, and now parents are booked in for the "movies" for their kids.

The "lack of kids" isn't exclusive to movie theaters.  In my area, anything "kid focused" is and has been dead.  Trampoline parks would get 10-20 kids total on a Saturday afternoon, when they used to have 300-400 easy.  Laser tag is another "dead" event (bowling was dead, but that picked up with free bowling this summer - although even then, it was reduced - there was never a wait or worry for a lane, and the alleys only opened for 2 mornings/week, keeping all other hours evening only).

Indoor activities adults have fun at have recovered in low viral areas...but if the adult is there for the benefit of the kid, nadda...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It didn't help last year when Hollywood itself and its stars tried to make theaters image as a germ bomb that could never be entered until we had a vaccine (see Tenet's release).  It doesn't matter that it's like eating at a restaurant, and probably safer - you get an image.

It didn't help when streaming offered all the deals and plans, and now parents are booked in for the "movies" for their kids.

The "lack of kids" isn't exclusive to movie theaters.  In my area, anything "kid focused" is and has been dead.  Trampoline parks would get 10-20 kids total on a Saturday afternoon, when they used to have 300-400 easy.  Laser tag is another "dead" event (bowling was dead, but that picked up with free bowling this summer - although even then, it was reduced - there was never a wait or worry for a lane, and the alleys only opened for 2 mornings/week, keeping all other hours evening only).

Indoor activities adults have fun at have recovered in low viral areas...but if the adult is there for the benefit of the kid, nadda...

I guess we all have different experiences depending on what state or part of the world we’re in. 

I’m in the U.K. and see every activity packed with children and crowds everywhere I go. I appreciate the variant is at a different stage in the US. 
Certainly our cinemas are faring pretty well and just need constant big product to open up regularly now. 

you’re right about the image thing. Having day and date releases of big films people want to see is almost implying there’s a problem. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1