MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I showed the trailer to a friend who barely watches movies (like he saw Wreck it Ralph for the first time today) and was pretty skeptical about how much he'd enjoy a 3-hour long biopic, and he was convinced by merely watching this. Selling this as an intense thriller is working in its favor IMO.

Going to be ineresting to compare this with Fat Man and Little Boy, which in 1989 covered a lot of the same material. DIfference is that film centered on Leslie Groves, the US General in charge of the Manhatten Project(Paul Newman in 1989, Matt Damon in this film) instead of Oppenheimer..though Oppenhiemer was a major charecter in "Fat Man".

I'm curious how Nolan is going to keep the suspense up for three hours . I have no doubt that he will keep us on the edge somehow. This is a big test of his box office power. This is an indie film material with somewhat limited audience. If it wasn't his name attached would be a 50m grosser at the very best. At this point all of his films are marketed as event releases, so expecting a mild success with this. No doubt some will compare to his other films and will be disappointed by the final tally. 

Any report on how much of the footage will be in bnw?

51 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I'm curious how Nolan is going to keep the suspense up for three hours . I have no doubt that he will keep us on the edge somehow. This is a big test of his box office power. This is an indie film material with somewhat limited audience. If it wasn't his name attached would be a 50m grosser at the very best. At this point all of his films are marketed as event releases, so expecting a mild success with this. No doubt some will compare to his other films and will be disappointed by the final tally. 

Any report on how much of the footage will be in bnw?

I wouldn’t go that far…

37 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wouldn’t go that far…

I mean...this is basically The Imitation Bang with a (...much...) bigger explosion. A more generous comparison MIGHT be 2004's The Aviator.

Historical review of the characters here is interesting. Damon is mostly friendly, RDJ is entirely enemy, Hartnett starts as a friend and turns into what could construed as an enemy...will be great film to see but mass appeal no doubt seems questionable. 

24 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I mean...this is basically The Imitation Bang with a (...much...) bigger explosion. A more generous comparison MIGHT be 2004's The Aviator.

Historical review of the characters here is interesting. Damon is mostly friendly, RDJ is entirely enemy, Hartnett starts as a friend and turns into what could construed as an enemy...will be great film to see but mass appeal no doubt seems questionable. 

Idk if that's really the case. Not expecting Inception numbers but Imitation Game made 233m WW! This movie only needs to make marginally more to be profitable, which given Nolan, RDJ, Blunt, Damon, etc it has a solid chance of doing. 

World War 2 is big IP!

Edited by Rageofthegods

Yes, WW2 is a big pull when lots of action is involved. This is a biopic after all. There were lots of interpretation of the subject already and films about Oppenheimer and none of them set the box office on fire. Looking forward to seeing Nolan elevating the material. If it gets great WoM, can carve out a nice run.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Can't believe tickets are on sale next week...

when will they announce showtimes? Or where to find IMAX 70mm showings?

I think that is dependent on the chain. Regal has started to put out the shows. When I searched for showtimes in my area shows did pop up. That said the presales are starting on Thursday and so there is still time. Plus I expect conservative allocation considering there is Barbie as well opening on the same day. 

L9lNIU.jpg

Edited by keysersoze123

On 5/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, cannastop said:

what...

Hey, if it does not have lots of SFX Eye Candy, or big action scenes, it's an Indie film...........

I hote ot say it, but I think quite a few people here think that.

I mean, I vividly remember THE AVIATOR trailers milking the hell out of the plane crash scene which is, unreality, like 90 seconds of the movie. 

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think that is dependent on the chain. Regal has started to put out the shows. When I searched for showtimes in my area shows did pop up. That said the presales are starting on Thursday and so there is still time. Plus I expect conservative allocation considering there is Barbie as well opening on the same day. 

L9lNIU.jpg

Well something cool happened, and I checked when you pointed this out to me (though I knew some showtimes were available.)

I found out that Regal Mall of Georgia is indeed going to have IMAX 70mm showings! Yay! I can finally rest easy for that information.

Edited by cannastop