MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Is this gonna be eligible  for the Oscars considering the all white cast?

Diversity rules also include people behind the camera depending on certain department roles so I’m certain it’s not gonna be ineligible. The rules are mostly toothless tbh

• Like 3

After seeing that trailer I’m standing by my assumption that this is being built up to be something it isn’t. Still looking forward to it but not because the marketing has lots of loud noises and fire imagery.

Ballsy to have RDJ in an apparently big role and barely show him though. I kept waiting for him to have a one-liner and it never came.

Edited by Hatebox

21 hours ago, MrPink said:

Diversity rules also include people behind the camera depending on certain department roles so I’m certain it’s not gonna be ineligible. The rules are mostly toothless tbh

Yep. Especially when you take this part of an interview from march into account (as featured on https://news.sky.com/story/oscars-2023-academy-president-says-new-diversity-rules-next-year-wouldnt-change-a-single-film-in-contention-even-historically-12829563 )

"Every single past Oscar nominee for Best Picture would still qualify under new diversity rules being introduced by the Academy Awards next year, according to its President, Janet Yang. Speaking exclusively to Sky News ahead of Sunday's Oscars ceremony, when asked whether a film like All Quiet On The Western Front - top-heavy with white male stars - would still be eligible under the Academy's new criteria (which kicks in in 2024) Yang confirmed: "We did find that, given these new guidelines all the past nominations would still qualify.""

Oppenheimer should be able to get it's place in the spotlights no questions asked.

Edited by incognitoo
typo
  • Like 1

Bold move of them to release the trailer at 2am

Regardless it's a good trailer. Haven't seen Guardians 3 yet, so I'm hoping to see the trailer in theaters soon. I do believe that the IMAX trailer is still probably the best one

29 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Bold move of them to release the trailer at 2am

Regardless it's a good trailer. Haven't seen Guardians 3 yet, so I'm hoping to see the trailer in theaters soon. I do believe that the IMAX trailer is still probably the best one

It's good trailer, but it doesn't sell movie to wide audience.

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Hopefully they address the controversy surrounding the necessity of dropping the bombs on Japan...

I am sure. You can see that in the trailer already. One of the generals is talking about ending the war and bring the boys back home. Oppenheimer himself you can see the regret towards the end. I am sure the final 3rd will be the post war piece. That is where RDJ have to come in unless he is there earlier as well. 

Anyway brilliant trailer. Spine chilling tension for sure. Cant wait to see this in biggest Imax screen. Thinking I will make a trip to see this in AMC Metreon in SF. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

It's good trailer, but it doesn't sell movie to wide audience.

I think this trailer is as good as it gets to sell the concept to wide audience. They are making it feel really "epic", honestly probably much moreso than the actual film will be. That said this is a 3 hours biopic. You can only do so much.

• Like 1

This is my kind of movie, in general, but that trailer did not do it any favor and somehow managed to make one of the most complex and interesting periods of history look pretty dull. I just  rewatched Fat Man and Little Boy the other day and that still holds up for me. This seemed less epic, though I don’t understand how the marketing people managed that? Just bizarre for a trailer for a movie with more built in drama than a Real Housewives/Survivor crossover. 

I think it'll be more of a Dunkirk than an Inception or Interstellar but I suspect Universal are hoping that Nolan remains with them for his next movie so even if this underperforms, they can take the hit.

I do wonder if Nolan will eventually swallow his pride and agree to have one of his films in say October because as we've seen with The Martian, Gravity and Joker, adult skewing films can succeed in the non summer months. I think it's a pride thing for him to have his films in the summer.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think it'll be more of a Dunkirk than an Inception or Interstellar but I suspect Universal are hoping that Nolan remains with them for his next movie so even if this underperforms, they can take the hit.

I do wonder if Nolan will eventually swallow his pride and agree to have one of his films in say October because as we've seen with The Martian, Gravity and Joker, adult skewing films can succeed in the non summer months. I think it's a pride thing for him to have his films in the summer.

Interstellar came out in November

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Interstellar came out in November

That is the exception rather than the norm. The only other Nolan film I can think of post Batman Begins that wasn't a summer release was The Prestige and that was released in October although both Interstellar and Prestige were co-productions with Paramount and Disney/Touchstone.