MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

13 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Eric Davis was at one of the first U.S. press screenings last week . He is not supposed to share his social media reactions yet but I guess he kind of did :

https://www.goldderby.com/view-predictions/erik-davis/oscars-nominations-2024-predictions/

I mean, not disparaging the guy, and maybe the movie IS a contender, but... he seems to barely ever give anything but positive reviews to even the most questionable of movies. So if this is the only one of the expected Oscar players that he's actually seen, it makes sense lol.

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm also a bit baffled as to how one would expect marketing to go for a 3 hour R rated dramatic biopic.

They have done a ton of TV spots as far as I have understood - which helps with the intended older audience. Nolan name sells the project to younger audiences that are fans and it's difficult to have any other type of online promotion for this type of project, I think.

I mean, I am a millennial not Gen Z, but me and most of my friends don't even watch TV on actual TV these days. Nolan's intended audience is not THAT old. 

2 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

Eric Davis was at one of the first U.S. press screenings last week . He is not supposed to share his social media reactions yet but I guess he kind of did :

https://www.goldderby.com/view-predictions/erik-davis/oscars-nominations-2024-predictions/

This is what I need for Nolan ! Oscar! 

The BO success of Oppenheimer is a very important moment for Hollywood post-pandemic, especially in term of how to market a serious, actionless, historical drama. Yes, Elvis and Creed 3 prove it , in a way, but it is always great to see another example. 

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

I mean, I am a millennial not Gen Z, but me and most of my friends don't even watch TV on actual TV these days. Nolan's intended audience is not THAT old. 

It is for this movie. It's a 3 hour dramatic biopic. It's not an action movie. Once you go outside his fan base, that would already be familiar with his project, the biggest potential demographic that needs to actually be reached is on TV. Also, we're talking TV spots during major sports events, not bloody Matlock ffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hasanahmad said:

Joe Scarborough of morning Joe on MSNBC said this morning he saw it in imax and was “unlike any other movie I have seen in terms of absorbing the viewer” 

Feel sorry for the oldies who will try to secure their IMAX tickets next week. 

1 hour ago, hasanahmad said:

Joe Scarborough of morning Joe on MSNBC said this morning he saw it in imax and was “unlike any other movie I have seen in terms of absorbing the viewer” 

The NBC Universal corporate synergy in action: a NBC News documentary about J. Robert Oppenheimer debuting in July, and MSNBC hosts hyping up the early screenings they saw. The Today Show is probably a bit lighthearted for "Oppenheimer Week", not a great fit between the cooking and shopping segments.

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This is what I need for Nolan ! Oscar! 

The BO success of Oppenheimer is a very important moment for Hollywood post-pandemic, especially in term of how to market a serious, actionless, historical drama. Yes, Elvis and Creed 3 prove it , in a way, but it is always great to see another example. 

I don't consider Creed 3 to be a historical drama.

43 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The NBC Universal corporate synergy in action: a NBC News documentary about J. Robert Oppenheimer debuting in July, and MSNBC hosts hyping up the early screenings they saw. The Today Show is probably a bit lighthearted for "Oppenheimer Week", not a great fit between the cooking and shopping segments.

I also note that "Fat Man And Little Boy" is now being shown on Amazon Prime.