MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

with so less women and that too badly served I cannot really say that I am rooting for this film in any category 

I think the academy should be past rewarding films with poorly written or nonexistent women characters , it is shameful that such films exist in the 21st century 

Nolan should really really improve in this regard or else his legacy will be comprised of mocking him 

At the very minimum,he should get a female writer, female writers write women and male characters much better and are amazing with the depth of their thoughts 

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

with so less women and that too badly served I cannot really say that I am rooting for this film in any category 

I think the academy should be past rewarding films with poorly written or nonexistent women characters , it is shameful that such films exist in the 21st century 

Nolan should really really improve in this regard or else his legacy will be comprised of mocking him 

At the very minimum,he should get a female writer, female writers write women and male characters much better and are amazing with the depth of their thoughts 

Oh No GIF by StickerGiant

59 minutes ago, zlazer said:

This is about an American Achievement coming to the rescue of the Europeans with an American hero at the helm, this will be loved by critics - and those who don't like reality with how things were will complain, so let them.

Everything I have read about the movie indicates that is simply not true.

2 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

:hahaha::facepalm:

6 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

buddy, people around the world are excited about a 3 hour drama concerning a physicist from a century ago cause nolan is directing, thats his legacy not whatever internet criticism people throw at him

• Like 1

I haven't loved a Nolan film since Inception--haven't liked one since TDKR. Hoping this really delivers. It seems as if he's been gravitating towards more abstract filmmaking and hiring Hoyte has certainly improved his visual sensibilities and compositions--maybe this will be the peak

Ranking is hard because I have a clear top-tier:

1. Dark Knight

2. Inception

3. The Prestige

4. Memento

It's a free for all after that... I think I'd go..

5. Following- very clever and economic first feature

6. Tenet- in many regards a disaster, but the highway sequence is as good as anything he's ever done

7. Begins- maybe this should be higher. It's enjoyable and has a strong perspective-- but it's clunky, exposition driven and the filmmaking feels lethargic and choppy

8. TDKR- the best/worst of Nolan on display. Equally overlong/undercooked

9. Interstellar- ehhh

10. Dunkirk- his greatest visual accomplishment, otherwise... 

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I haven't loved a Nolan film since Inception--haven't liked one since TDKR. Hoping this really delivers. It seems as if he's been gravitating towards more abstract filmmaking and hiring Hoyte has certainly improved his visual sensibilities and compositions--maybe this will be the peak

Ranking is hard because I have a clear top-tier:

1. Dark Knight

2. Inception

3. The Prestige

4. Memento

It's a free for all after that... I think I'd go..

5. Following- very clever and economic first feature

6. Tenet- in many regards a disaster, but the highway sequence is as good as anything he's ever done

7. Begins- maybe this should be higher. It's enjoyable and has a strong perspective-- but it's clunky, exposition driven and the filmmaking feels lethargic and choppy

8. TDKR- the best/worst of Nolan on display. Equally overlong/undercooked

9. Interstellar- ehhh

10. Dunkirk- his greatest visual accomplishment, otherwise... 

Haven't seen Insomnia yet?

9 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

Look, i’m usually all in for criticize badly written female characters including on Nolan work but come on now 

The movie is about Oppenheimer and his trial, is extremelly obvious all the relevant characters for the actual story will be the male ones 

Even on the book the woman have small parts, sure Nolan could’ve expand the roles but the movie is already 181 minutes 

Complain that this is a pattern with Nolan is fair but this riot sounds performative and unreasonable i’m afraid considering the subject and historical events

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

buddy, people around the world are excited about a 3 hour drama concerning a physicist from a century ago cause nolan is directing, thats his legacy not whatever internet criticism people throw at him

maybe, maybe not 

All I'm saying is that is output throughout his career for women has been extremely extremely subpar. I can't say he wouldn't be my favorite director if he was better in this regard, right now, it brings me shame to say that I like him
I'm rooting for barbie, a film with memorable male AND female characters, the amount of people doing a double feature that they are staggering 

Sad to see that they will go from such a phenomenally balanced movie to a movie where women aren't given proper depth . Greta Gerwig is such a talented woman who has produced spectacular films and she is sooooo good at balancing this stuff, and then the amount of people going straight from that to oppenheimer, some of them are bound to be disappointed at how a man does things

• Haha 1