MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Sick reactions, haven't loved a Nolan film since Interstellar. This is going for very different swings but I hope I love it regardless. Just sucks that it's been delayed to late august here, I was totally down for some Barbenheimer action next week :whosad:

Where’s here? That sucks :(

1 hour ago, LegionWrex said:

These reactions have me really excited and it's making me wanna go back and check out some Nolan films I haven't seen in a hot minute like The Prestige or Interstellar (both of which I ranked low and I feel like I need to re-evaluate them).

Unsure if Oppy will come close to the trifecta of Inception, TDK, and Dunkirk for me but hopefully it does!

I hated Interstellar the first time I saw it and was bawling my eyes out when I rewatched it last week, so it definitely changed course for me lol

39 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s weird that WB would try to spite Nolan by scheduling their movie on the same date as his, while also reportedly trying to court him back. Then again, nothing WB does nowadays should surprise me. 

WB has completely changed course since the day-and-date era that drew Nolan's ire (even if Tenet wasn't directly affected). The news of WB trying to woo back Nolan is relatively recent, well after Barbie's release date had been established. I'm sure Zaslav would love to have Nolan back in the fold, but not enough to interfere with all the brand deals Mattel has in place.

Oppenheimer has quite the ensemble, I guess we'll see the title cards soon enough to know who will be campaigned for Outstanding Cast at SAG.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

There's no reason for Nolan to go back to WB if he's successful with Uni, there is no way Zaslav would basically give into all the demands he laid out 3 years ago especially the no release 1 month before or 1 month after, defintely not with Nolan preferring july and gunn trying to reboot dc

12 minutes ago, TMP said:

Just because it stars a marvel guy? Lol

I’m a fan of Nolan for more than twenty years. My relation with Barbie is very close to The Little Mermaid, which I want to succeed but I didn’t bother watching at a movie theater. I still haven’t seen Indiana Jones, so likely my double feature will be Oppenheimer and Indiana Jones, and next month Blue Beetle and TNMT: Mutant Mayhem.

Seeing these comparisons with Dunkirk makes me feel like this probably won't even make my top5 Nolan movies....Tenet >> Dunkirk for me. Dunkirk was just ok...but then again considering Oppenheimer is a biopic, I don't have too many expectations on this one. I love when Nolan does big budget sci-fi thrillers more than these kind of movies

38 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

WB has completely changed course since the day-and-date era that drew Nolan's ire (even if Tenet wasn't directly affected). The news of WB trying to woo back Nolan is relatively recent, well after Barbie's release date had been established. I'm sure Zaslav would love to have Nolan back in the fold, but not enough to interfere with all the brand deals Mattel has in place.

Oppenheimer has quite the ensemble, I guess we'll see the title cards soon enough to know who will be campaigned for Outstanding Cast at SAG.

Wasn’t Barbie’s release date set last year, after the Discovery merger was already completed? 

Maybe my expectations for this were too high but I always thought this would be S Tier Nolan. The material and subject matter just seems tailored made for Nolan. Gonna be rewatching Memento, Dunkirk and Tenet before this one.

Managed to book IMAX tickets for the first time as well for my second viewing in August.

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He wouldn't beat Gosling but I def think RDJ will get a nomination. He is going to campaign and it's a reminder of how great an actor he truly is. It'll probably be his most acclaimed performance since Tropic Thunder and it's another "welcome back nom"

That RDJ couldn't even get nominated for an Iron Man performance or even freaking Zodiac but would lose to a Ken Doll performances is nauseating.

Edited by TalismanRing

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Wasn’t Barbie’s release date set last year, after the Discovery merger was already completed? 

It looks like the Barbie release date was announced rhe same month as the WB Discovery merger was completed, April 2022 (Oppenheimer's release date was announced in October 2021). The real forces in trying to get Nolan back to WB appear to be the current co-CEOs of the Warner Bros Film Group, who weren't officially in those roles until June 2022. Reports emerged last month about WB giving Nolan getting a seven-figure royalty check for Tenet. My read is that WB--or certain people under Zaslav--want Nolan back, but they do have other major issues to contend with and promoting Barbie is also their job. They have to work with the hand their predecessors dealt.

Best Supporting Actor might end up being quite the showdown.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1