MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Please the dates of both movies were decided a lot of time ago, all the time to postpone Oppenheimer date of 1 or 2 weeks with any excuse about technical issues or whatever. Next weeks basically have no big releases so any problems for heavy competition.

Nolan "i usually don't like like musicals" Is the average man who thought "Who Is gonna watch Barbie?". A big "out!" on the "Barbie over 100M OW club" 🤭

Edited by vale9001
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Please the dates of both movies were decided a lot of time ago, all the time to postpone Oppenheimer date of 1 or 2 weeks with any excuse about technical issues or whatever. Next weeks basically have no big releases so any problems for heavy competition.

Nolan "i usually don't like like musicals" Is the average man who thought "Who Is gonna watch Barbie?". A big "out!" on the "Barbie over 100M OW club" 🤭

No, release dates aren’t decided way before the movie is even greenlit officially. 

WB purposely booked a obvious bigger movie to the same date in a very clear expectation that it would hurt his debut at Universal, maybe even to get him back, something we know WB wants.

These studios are all greedy i don’t know why some people keep thinking everything that happens is a coincidence, it’s a tacky move and yes they did it consciously.

They tried to fuck him, he knows it and didn’t bow down to them by changing the date he booked way before, it’s this simple. 

And he’s lucky because in the end the movie Warner set to hurt Nolan ended up promoting him for free. But he doesn’t have to engage with promoting the other movie knowing why it’s being released in the same date in the first place.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Nolan's issue isn't with Barbie, it's because WB and him have a huge feud. They forcibly released Tenet on HBO Max without his permission on the day of release.

He loves Greta Gerwig. Him and greta on a panel talking about each other: 

Edited by Bobzaruni
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

No, release dates aren’t decided way before the movie is even greenlit officially. 

WB purposely booked a obvious bigger movie to the same date in a very clear expectation that it would hurt his debut at Universal, maybe even to get him back, something we know WB wants.

These studios are all greedy i don’t know why some people keep thinking everything that happens is a coincidence, it’s a tacky move and yes they did it consciously.

They tried to fuck him, he knows it and didn’t bow down to them by changing the date he booked way before, it’s this simple. 

And he’s lucky because in the end the movie Warner set to hurt Nolan ended up promoting him for free. But he doesn’t have to engage with promoting the other movie knowing why it’s being released in the same date in the first place.

?

were i'm denying it's not a tacky move or whatver

just saying news about movies on 21 july is from a lot of time ago so Universal should have been postpone the movie. Of course  for a Nolan Movie a number one opening is something you want... no change means they thought they could beat Barbie. 

Edited by vale9001

Just now, von Kenni said:

I hope this earns its 3 hour runtime.

I can see that with Dune Part 2 and Part 1 would have benefited closer to 3 hour (though box office wise the shorter cut was likely needed) runtime but not sure here.

It likely will. The book it's based on is exceptionally dense and I doubt the movie will even cover a third of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Hope this is good. Nolan's been nothing but duds post Inception

???

The Dark Knight Rises has its fair shair of flaws, but its still a very good Batman film - and miles ahead of pretty much every CBM of the last 5 years.

Interstellar is literally a modern sci-fi classic for most people. Personally, i dont like the third act (the whole love thing is just too cliche and stupid for a movie that prouds itself with beeing so scientific), but the first two acts are Nolan peak.

Dunkirk is one of the best war movies ever made.

Tenet is indeed a dud, i didnt like that movie.

So i disagree, with the exception of Tenet, Nolan has made quite an impressive bunch of movies since Inception.

• Like 1

Murmurs of Nolan films being ‘cold’ are usually in the background but the criticism was always very flimsy to me because really he has the opposite problem - being too frenetic and not allowing moments to breathe, like an excited toddler. Works for Dunkirk as a sensory experience but not so much for, say, the lonely desolation of space in Interstellar. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

???

The Dark Knight Rises has its fair shair of flaws, but its still a very good Batman film - and miles ahead of pretty much every CBM of the last 5 years.

Interstellar is literally a modern sci-fi classic for most people. Personally, i dont like the third act (the whole love thing is just too cliche and stupid for a movie that prouds itself with beeing so scientific), but the first two acts are Nolan peak.

So i disagree, with the exception of Tenet, Nolan has made quite an impressive bunch of movies since Inception.

I'm not a huge fan of Nolan outside of Memento, Interstellar and The Dark Knight. However, the former two are genuinely two of the best movies I have ever seen and Interstellar is one of my favorite movies ever. So I will always give the movies a chance to maybe experience something like those again even if there are what I think are duds in between.

For what it's worth, one of the French critics who originally gave the film a 3.5/5 updated their score to 4/5. https://letterboxd.com/emmanuel/films/

The only mixed reviews so far are from a few French critics, or am I mistaken? English-speaking critics have expressed universal praise for the film.

Also, those mixed reviews take issue with parts of the movie that most reviews rave about, such as the length, pacing, third act, and even the film's emotion. In other words, the positive reviews don't like it despite the aspects pointed out by the more mixed takes, they fundamentally disagree with them. To me, that's a good thing because it suggests that some people just didn't "get" the movie, and that kind of stuff always happens. The Godfather has *four* rotten reviews on RT, for crying out loud. I'd rather have a movie that polarizes a little but is still overwhelmingly well-received than a movie that plays it safe.

Edited by stonehenge

All I can think of now is Oppenheimer, arguably my favorite Nolan to date, right in my pantheon of films that show creation as an act of war. It's a strangely linear but ultra-mastered biopic, in addition to being a thriller.

Second tweet It's also his most dedicated film for actors with a pretty incredible cast. And which reminds us how much Robert Downey Jr knows how to play. It's amazing there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stonehenge said:

For what it's worth, one of the French critics who originally gave the film a 3.5/5 updated their score to 4/5. https://letterboxd.com/emmanuel/films/

The only mixed reviews so far are from a few French critics, or am I mistaken? English-speaking critics have expressed universal praise for the film.

Yes the French critics seem divided on the final act, whereas the English-speaking critics seem to feel like it’s the perfect finale. 

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Murmurs of Nolan films being ‘cold’ are usually in the background but the criticism was always very flimsy to me because really he has the opposite problem - being too frenetic and not allowing moments to breathe, like an excited toddler. Works for Dunkirk as a sensory experience but not so much for, say, the lonely desolation of space in Interstellar. 

Never really understood all the complaints about his films being 'cold'. Interstellar's theme is basically father-daughter love and Inception's basically about a father doing a shit ton of thing trying to get back to his children. These are his two biggest movies other than TDK trilogy. Not every movie has to be warm and fuzzy.

43 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Studios care about money. What's better: beating a lacklustre film and opening to 35m or losing to a Barbie phenomenon and opening to 55m. Easy answer.

Plus opening at number 2 didn't stop Interstellar in being one of the best space movies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

???

I’d argue that some of Nolan’s best films come after Inception, too. Also I’d argue that Inception is kinda overrated (for a Nolan film). I actually genuinely love Tenet.

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

TBF I don't think WB expected Barbie to be bigger than Oppenheimer, they likely did it because a female skewing movie usually does solid business even against a tentpole like Mamma Mia! against TDK for example. 

For Universal, they'll take a hit on Oppenheimer because potentially it means Nolan will stick with them for his next film and not go back to WB, 

• Like 1