MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

For Universal, they'll take a hit on Oppenheimer because potentially it means Nolan will stick with them for his next film and not go back to WB, 

Unless the thing completely collapses Friday onwards, I don't see how Universal "takes a hit" on Oppenheimer. Right now it looks like a moneymaker, a prestige awards contender AND a relationship building film that is the potential basis for a long term collaboration.

Also, while I agree no one expected 100+ from Barbie  it's been tracking high for a long time and WB invested tons in the marketing. Don't tell me they didn't expect it to be bigger than a 3 hour dramatic biopic in the middle of summer. They may very well both wildly exceed early expectations, but I think it's disingenuous to say a Barbie win wasn't expected.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Unless the thing completely collapses Friday onwards, I don't see how Universal "takes a hit" on Oppenheimer. Right now it looks like a moneymaker, a prestige awards contender AND a relationship building film that is the potential basis for a long term collaboration.

Also, while I agree no one expected 100+ from Barbie  it's been tracking high for a long time and WB invested tons in the marketing. Don't tell me they didn't expect it to be bigger than a 3 hour dramatic biopic in the middle of summer. They may very well both wildly exceed early expectations, but I think it's disingenuous to say a Barbie win wasn't expected.

I don't mean take a hit as in lose money as it'll be profitable although Nolan's deal of 20% of the gross means they won't be making huge amounts.

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Cruise upset with Paramount. Nolan upset with WB, maybe Universal if this doesn't pan out. When is the Cruise/Nolan Disney film coming out? lol

Nolan/Disney isn't that weird, they released The Prestige through Touchstone way back. 

30 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

well variety ( i think it was) said a while back that the movie needs to hit 400m to turn a profit due to all the back end deals, thats certainly a possibility but not a lock with the economy/exchange rates overseas and mass GA not showing up for dramas

15 hours ago, TMP said:

Nolanized RDJ vs De Niro vs Gosling for best supporting actor sounds like a film-bro cage match

WB should keep Gosling in Lead cause he is a lead and should win there, while RDJ wins Supporting for real supporting role not a frauded one. 

why is everyone assuming rdj can't beat gosling? every reviewer says he's amazing in it and its not like the academy gives a shit about commercial success or visibility which gosling's ken has/will have more of

• Like 1

Impossible to call any Oscar race in July and of course we don't even have actual reviews for either movie yet but if the Oscar race were to come down to RDJ vs. Gosling, it would be RDJ. He's both a veteran who has been around forever and a certified movie star, and the fact he achieved the latter status following well-documented personal problems makes his career story even more of a feel good tale. Of course, "it's their time" narratives don't always pan out (see: the recent high-profile Oscar losses of Stallone, Close, Bassett), but sometimes it really does come down to having the movie, the role, or both (a factor that figured into the wins of the four acting icons at this year's ceremony). It's all about keeping up that momentum for another several months.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

WB should keep Gosling in Lead cause he is a lead and should win there, while RDJ wins Supporting for real supporting role not a frauded one. 

If he goes Lead, Gosling has no chance of winning imo. That 's just not a role The Academy rewards. Reminds me RDJ's loss in Tropic Thunder and Depp's Jack Sparrow.

Edited by Maggie

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

That RDJ couldn't even get nominated for an Iron Man performance or even freaking Zodiac but would lose to a Ken Doll performances is nauseating.

Because Ledger in TDK stole his thunder that year as far as iconic SH performances go and he also gave another iconic performance in Tropic Thunder and was nominated for that. Back then it was hard for SH performances to be considered and Ledger was getting all the buzz so that one got in was a huge thing. They weren't going to nominate 2 even though RDJ would have been deserving 100%. 

Studios will accept deals with directors even if it means they don't much if any money initially. WB wanted OUATIH but pulled out because Tarantino's terms were not what they could accept which is why the movie ended at Sony.

Just now, Maggie said:

If he goes Lead, he has no chance of winning imo. That 's just not a role The Academy rewards. Reminds me RDJ's loss in Tropic Thunder and Depp's Jack Sparrow.

There's always first for everything. They didn't award CBM performances until they did (Ledger, Phoenix). They didn't award Actor who isn't in a nominated Picture until they did (Fraser). They didn't nominate CBM period until they did (BP, Joker). They didn't awad foreign movies in Picture til they did (Parasite). Etc.

Gosling is iconic. AMPAS membership is now younger than it used to be, taste has changed. I have faith.

50 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

well variety ( i think it was) said a while back that the movie needs to hit 400m to turn a profit due to all the back end deals, thats certainly a possibility but not a lock with the economy/exchange rates overseas and mass GA not showing up for dramas

Do you have a source on that? I find that hard to believe if the movie has just a $100 million budget

8 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Do you have a source on that? I find that hard to believe if the movie has just a $100 million budget

It's because Nolan's usual deal is $20m+ plus 20% of the gross (if it makes $400m he gets $100m) - and to keep the budget under $100m means back end deals for several of those actors.