MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

I think as Nolan has gotten increasingly idiosyncratic/experimental in his style, you're just bound to have some people not really be on board with it, Grace being one of them is not terribly shocking. It doesn't make her brave or stupid. It just is.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's the funny thing about Jeff Sneider's comment. He was accusing the more positive reviewers on this movie of being fake critics or newcomer critics. But if you look closely, it's actually the critics who are not labeled Top Critics or part of MetaCritic that are actually dragging down the score right now. LOL

I think the Top Critics are approaching this film as art and the awards-bait, technical achievement that it is while the other reviewers, especially the self-employed ones, are viewing the film from an entertainment angle. This happens a lot during the winter and holidays when the Oscar contenders are released. For this film, it’s happening in July instead. There’s no right or wrong way to review a film so long as you support your views in a consistent and reasonably intelligent manner. Not a good use of IMAX is an absurd critique.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Indeed. They tried to make a big movie about this subject in 1989 with Paul Newman in the Matt Damon role. It was a mega flop with a $30 million budget (not exactly chump change in those days) and less than $4 million of total box office. Yikes! 

I think the top end for this movie is probably similar to Dunkirk, in the neighborhood of $500 million worldwide for a best case scenario. There's no box office in China or Japan for this movie. That hurts. And the length/serious nature of the movie would seem to limit the potential audience as well. 

Ah yeah, good point about China/Japan, though I don’t think this would ever have hit there (especially Japan). Admittedly not too sure what to guess for OS, but at this point I think 300 is possible DOM. Looks headed to 70+ opening, maybe even 80. If WOM is as ecstatic as reviews, legs will be great. Nolan’s brand has been stronger overall OS ever since Interstellar as well, so I think if it’s a big hit DOM, it probably will be OS too. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Indeed. They tried to make a big movie about this subject in 1989 with Paul Newman in the Matt Damon role. It was a mega flop with a $30 million budget (not exactly chump change in those days) and less than $4 million of total box office. Yikes! 

I think the top end for this movie is probably similar to Dunkirk, in the neighborhood of $500 million worldwide for a best case scenario. There's no box office in China or Japan for this movie. That hurts. And the length/serious nature of the movie would seem to limit the potential audience as well. 

This is being released in China, however how it performs there is up in the air. 

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I nominate Charlie Jatinder to represent BOT when it's our turn to write a RT review. His taste would make for some amazing reactions.

Some great nuclear potential there, I agree.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

"ambitious" was how critics tried to BS about Wrinkle In Time but were laughed at online which forced them to admit the movie was shit. Just say whether you liked it or not whether it's good or bad. 

I mean, this probably isn’t another wrinkle in time. ‘Ambitious’ is a pretty tame value judgement, I wouldn’t infer indecisiveness from that. 

Either way, nothing piques my interest in a movie, album, tv show more than someone who honestly says “I don’t know how I feel about this.” There really hasn’t been much of that so far with Oppenheimer, but if there was: bring it on. 

I have seen reactions on Chinese social media. Basically you have Nolan's dedicated target audience raving about watching it and the anti-Hollywood crowd calling Nolan a flop. And then with the current geopolitical situation at hand, I am not sure if it would even reach Dunkirk numbers. It also depends on when it's going to be released in China. For example, it's a really bad time for Barbie to be released in China right now. A lot of people are complaining about very few screenings near them. But the Chinese movie market is just so crowded with local blockbusters right now on top of some of the existing Hollywood blockbusters, it's just very hard to give Barbie sufficient screens. Like if GotG3 was released right now it wouldn't have had the legs in China like it did.

Oscar wise, if the film is as good as it seems it is then it could well be Nolan’s time.

There have been many legendary filmmakers that have never picked up the director statuette. He’s up there. 

It’ll be Nolan vs Marty. 

I’m not counting out Ridley either, as Napoleon looks fantastic.

Big Hollywood epics going toe to toe in awards season. I can see it. 

My boy Fincher is also LONG overdue an Academy Award. He’s got The Killer coming later this year. High hopes for that, but it doesn’t have Oscar written all over it like the others do. 

Michael Mann’s Enzo Ferrari film too - wow there’s some absolute bangers coming from the elite!

Edit - shit, forgot about Denis’s Dune - Part 2!!! Alexander Payne’s The Holdovers!! 

CINEMA 🤪

Edited by wildphantom
  • Astonished 1

Heard from someone who saw it that it is an acting marvel first and foremost and reminiscent of TDK in terms of just numerous outright tremendous performances.  They also thought the actual trinity test scene was a bit of a letdown compared to what it could have been and found the ending boring af. 

Which is odd because numerous reviews claim the ending and final 15 minutes are supposedly brilliant. 

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Heard from someone who saw it that it is an acting marvel first and foremost and reminiscent of TDK in terms of just numerous outright tremendous performances.  They also thought the actual trinity test scene was a bit of a letdown compared to what it could have been and found the ending boring af. 

Which is odd because numerous reviews claim the ending and final 15 minutes are supposedly brilliant. 

I'm not sure what they meant but the Trinity test is hauntingly perfect in the movie in my opinion and the end is perfect as its a reckoning 

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

I think as Nolan has gotten increasingly idiosyncratic/experimental in his style, you're just bound to have some people not really be on board with it, Grace being one of them is not terribly shocking. It doesn't make her brave or stupid. It just is.

Experimental isn’t at all the issue imo. I mean, how much more experimental do you get than a lot of his 00s stuff for their time? If anything, his recent films are reductive (Dunkirk borrows from Memento’s structure, Tenet (poorly) borrows a lot from Inception, etc). He used to be aces at the execution and pulling it off when he experimented. Recent Nolan is either more “been there, done that” or not being able to pull it off as smoothly when he shoots for the moon (TDKR, Interstellar). 

13 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Sure, but... let's not start this bit. Even movies that time have held up as true undisputed masterpieces would probably get some mixed or bad reviews nowadays, with the critical landscape being what it is. Don't focus on this.

We'll know soon enough, but this looks to be one of the strongest critical receptions of Nolan's career, and also looking to deliver huge numbers, especially for a 3 hour biopic with on-screen banging but no fisticuffs. Strong early contender for a few Oscars, so it will stay in the public consciousness for a long time and probably get an award re-release (especially if the strike is over and they can get the likes of RDJ, Blunt and Murphy out there to push them hard). Hell, any year that didn't have Scorsese with a winner would probably see this as the huge favourite going into the Oscars, making the inevitable wins by the small, newcomer-directed flicks that much more painful lol.

Again, it could end up collapsing at the box office in its second weekend, but PLF demand makes that unlikely. So it pretty much looks like an uncontested win for Nolan and Uni.

My comment has less to do with his opinion of Oppenheimer than it does the fact that I already hated the guy. 

1 hour ago, zlazer said:

This is being released in China, however how it performs there is up in the air. 

The Chinese have no great love for the Japanese. There is a constant stream of films about the Japanese invssion of China 1937 to 1945 where the Japanese are definently the bad guy..which, of course they were.

Edited by dudalb

I wonder if Nolan is going to get the kind of kickback that Spielberg got in the 1990's..when Spielberg cut back on making "SPielberg" movies..Sci Fi/Fantasy/Action to deal with more serous topics "Schindler's List" ,"Saving Private Ryan""Armitsted" etc.

Yes, he still made the "Jurrasiac Parks" but it was clear his main intrest was elsewhere, the geek friiendly films just paid the bills for his more serious efforts.Lots of the geek fanboys were very angry about this.