MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Saw this last night, so fucking good. Every actor on top of their game. Wish we had a little more time with Emily Blunt’s character, she really stuck with me. Her line that goes something like “you don’t get to sin and then make people feel sorry for you” was so good

Like I’ve said before, this is fucking bullshit and Christopher Nolan is literally asking to be trashed at this point:

Over 80% of Oppenheimer’s VFX team haven’t been credited.

Despite receiving accolades from both audiences and critics since its recent release, Christopher Nolan's latest film, Oppenheimer, has been embroiled in controversy. A recent report surfaced, revealing that the movie's production team did DNEG, the VFX company that worked on the film, dirty by excluding over 80% of the VFX crew from the end credits.

Initially brought to light by Cartoon Brew, it was discovered that the film's credits only acknowledged 26 VFX Artists, along with VFX supervisor Andrew Jackson, resulting in a total of just 27 credited VFX creators. However, DNEG's website shows a comprehensive list of over 160 individuals who contributed to Oppenheimer, indicating that more than 130 people were unjustly left out by Universal and Nolan.

https://80.lv/articles/over-80-of-oppenheimer-s-vfx-team-haven-t-been-credited/

This is fucking bullshit. 

• Sad 1

The film is 3 hours long anyway, don't need an extra two minutes of credits. It is very common that some small VFX personnel goes uncredited. Probably half of the MCU stunts people don't get credit. People think that VFX department being the one with the most uncredited credits. However, in fact they are third (with 9% of their credits going uncredited), behind casting (15%) and the stunt department (25%).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve said before, this is fucking bullshit and Christopher Nolan is literally asking to be trashed at this point:

Over 80% of Oppenheimer’s VFX team haven’t been credited.

https://80.lv/articles/over-80-of-oppenheimer-s-vfx-team-haven-t-been-credited/

This is fucking bullshit. 

That is bullshit. Not to play semantics, but is it Chris Nolan's snub, or the post team's snub who neglected to include every VFX artist's name? At the studio I work at, we've had several instances where the people responsible for creating the credits accidentally snubbed crew (our director/producers didn't even know about the omissions until it was presented to them), the crew complained directly to our post team, and changes were made after the fact so that everyone would be credited in time for streaming/VOD/home video.

I highly doubt Nolan personally oversaw the list of who's credited down to the VFX level but it has been to his benefit to drum up hype and downplay the involvement of VFX artists, which is less than kosher and deserves criticism. But in the instance of credits, I imagine this is down to Universal and whatever they worked out with DNEG and then negotiating from there who gets included, resulting in tons of people being left out.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

That is bullshit. Not to play semantics, but is it Chris Nolan's snub, or the post team's snub who neglected to include every VFX artist's name? At the studio I work at, we've had several instances where the people responsible for creating the credits accidentally snubbed crew (our director/producers didn't even know about the omissions until it was presented to them), the crew complained directly to our post team, and changes were made after the fact so that everyone would be credited in time for streaming/VOD/home video.

Nolan isn’t a innocent bystander here. He is one of the main and most mainstream culprits on making the stigma against CGI shots and furthering the divide. He is a legit asshole for still playing this stunt, and it’s not cute. I love the man’s films, this happens with several films, but Nolan is the one that keeps saying that there is no CGI on his shit, to the point that he won’t even fucking credit them on his film. He should be properly called out for this.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Nolan isn’t a innocent bystander here. He is one of the main and most mainstream culprits on making the stigma against CGI shots and furthering the divide. He is a legit asshole for still playing this stunt, and it’s not cute. I love the man’s films, this happens with several films, but Nolan is the one that keeps saying that there is no CGI on his shit, to the point that he won’t even fucking credit them on his film. He should be properly called out for this.

What an absolute pathetic response. This is no big deal. People get left out from credits all time. It's not the director's job. It happened before, it will happen again. Move on. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like they could file a lawsuit over this, but I'm not sure how much money you can squeeze out of the situation when the movie is 99% dialogue in small rooms with very little need for special effects. 

I think the best thing that could come out of this is that it pisses off VFX artists to the point that they understand the urgency for them to unionize. It seems like the current strikes plus this current controversy could result that happening rather sooner than later. Even if VFX is rather globalized, I think it’s possible. Starting with the US VFX workers would be a nice start. Other countries could follow.

Edited by ZattMurdock

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think the best thing that could come out of this is that it pisses off VFX artists to the point that they understand the urgency for them to unionize. It seems like the current strikes plus this current controversy could result that happening rather sooner than later. Even if VFX is rather globalized, I think it’s possible. Starting with the US VFX workers would be a nice start. Other countries could follow.

I agree that they should unionize. I am not sure about how things would play out in other countries. I know when it comes to manufacturing, a number of countries pretty much use slave labor and gain an advantage on the rest of the world.

So could something similar happen in this case? Super cheap/slave labor type of VFX artists in other countries would get all the work dumped on them, while the VFX artists in America or wherever else would simply be put out of business altogether. That's pretty much how the manufacturing industry has been going for the last 50+ years. 

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

Grace keeps digging a hole for herself 

Oh God. I had no idea she was on about this. I could have done without seeing any tweet from her. But since I have...which of the main Succession characters were likable? 

• Haha 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I agree that they should unionize. I am not sure about how things would play out in other countries. I know when it comes to manufacturing, a number of countries pretty much use slave labor and gain an advantage on the rest of the world.

So could something similar happen in this case? Super cheap/slave labor type of VFX artists in other countries would get all the work dumped on them, while the VFX artists in America or wherever else would simply be put out of business altogether. That's pretty much how the manufacturing industry has been going for the last 50+ years. 

I think some VFX artists have enough clout and actual importance to how these films end up looking to the point that unionizing would do them more good than harm. Yes, there would always be other countries offering almost slave work, but would they be any good? I sincerely doubt it. The people that worked on the CGI of Oppenheimer are the same that worked on some of the major CGI shots of both Infinity War and Endgame. It seems like even if this people are treated like shit, when it comes to actually delivering greatness, they are called to work. Credited or not.

How is zattmurdoch not banned for instigation and trolling yet . It started during Spider-Man with Garfield and mods are still tolerating one of the reason I took a break from this forum for over 5 years. I come back and it’s still happening 

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Oh God. I had no idea she was on about this. I could have done without seeing any tweet from her. But since I have...which of the main Succession characters were likable? 

You mean Kendall killing a guy and pretending like it never happened wasn't likable?