MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Highest non-Batman opening, but the fact that Oppenheimer could out-open Inception is wild to think about. Can only imagine how Tenet would have done if he went full-Top Gun Maverick and waited it out

Inception is a $73M opening with ticket price inflation. I don’t think Oppenheimer can make over $60M opening, never mind $70+ million. Inception had a much better screen count and less competition hurting it. 

4 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Inception is a $73M opening with ticket price inflation. I don’t think Oppenheimer can make over $60M opening, never mind $70+ million. Inception had a much better screen count and less competition hurting it. 

I totally disagree with you. I have looked at entire weekend sales and its on point for 70m+ OW. I think @Inceptionzq numbers for Drafthouse and Emagine are also similar. 

• Like 1

Yeah those sales totally points to 70, even 75

I’m not fully onboard yet because it can have a soft final week or ended up being too premium screens heavy 

But honestly less than 60 would be surprising atp, sales are phenomenal for this type of movie

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah those sales totally points to 70, even 75

I’m not fully onboard yet because it can have a soft final week or ended up being too premium screens heavy 

But honestly less than 60 would be surprising atp, sales are phenomenal for this type of movie

it does not need phenomenal final week for 70m. it needs 20m true friday which would be around 300K for friday. I dont see how its going to miss that. Would do that with above average walkups. I am expecting it to be screen constrainted during prime time as mentioned in tracking thread. That is why its presales is uber strong on saturday and sunday as well. its friday is not that far off Avatar but it lacks the showtimes that Avatar had.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

it does not need phenomenal final week for 70m. it needs 20m true friday which would be around 300K for friday. I dont see how its going to miss that. Would do that with above average walkups. I am expecting it to be screen constrainted during prime time as mentioned in tracking thread. That is why its presales is uber strong on saturday and sunday as well. its friday is not that far off Avatar but it lacks the showtimes that Avatar had.

That’s good to know, knowing this yeah 70-75 seems even more realistic. 

With Barbie looking like 160-180M i think we’re in for an amazing weekend coming

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

Sadly, Sydney IMAX has yet to reopen.

That's a bummer. Seems to be a lot of that going on right now. The best IMAX screen in Houston was ruined years ago by a decision to replace the 70mm film projector with a bad Xenon projector that was not capable of showing the 1.43:1 aspect ratio of real IMAX footage.

Most recently, they shut down the Houston screen for some kind of renovation that is still not finished. I have my doubts that they will give this screen what it deserves, which is either the Dual Laser system or 70mm projector (or a combo of both). At least Dual Laser is able to fill the screen. They might give it the single Laser system, which is better than Xenon but still not capable of filling the screen in the right way. 

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's a bummer. Seems to be a lot of that going on right now. The best IMAX screen in Houston was ruined years ago by a decision to replace the 70mm film projector with a bad Xenon projector that was not capable of showing the 1.43:1 aspect ratio of real IMAX footage.

Most recently, they shut down the Houston screen for some kind of renovation that is still not finished. I have my doubts that they will give this screen what it deserves, which is either the Dual Laser system or 70mm projector (or a combo of both). At least Dual Laser is able to fill the screen. They might give it the single Laser system, which is better than Xenon but still not capable of filling the screen in the right way. 

It's almost finished and will probably open September-November I would think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, it’s really fucking weird. I’m glad I got to see Top Gun there last year.  I gave up and just got A-List. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, it’s really fucking weird. I’m glad I got to see Top Gun there last year.  I gave up and just got A-List. 

If not for some health complications, I might have gone full Dunkirk with this movie. I drove to Austin to see Dunkirk several times in one weekend at the Bob Bullock IMAX. That place is unbelievable. 82 foot wide and 62 foot tall with the Dual Laser projection to show the full 1.43:1 images. Surprisingly the image quality held up very well compared to what I remember with TDK and TDKR in 70mm IMAX at Edwards Marquee. 

For Oppenheimer, I am starting off with a Regal RPX show on Friday morning. That's at Regal Bender's Landing on Highway 99. So far very few other tickets have been sold for that show, which is exactly how I like it these days. Empty theater is awesome! Lol. But perhaps in a couple weeks I might try to see the movie at the AMC Laser IMAX in The Woodlands/Shenandoah. So far the ticket sales look pretty strong for that particular screen.

• Like 1

Looks like Regal Mall of Georgia IMAX is indeed giving IMAX to Gran Turismo.

Which means that they will end the Oppenheimer streak at three weeks..

Is Lincoln Square AMC the only one doing it for four weeks (or more?)

Edited by cannastop