MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

9 minutes ago, rayjulio said:

after thinking for a while after watching this, a very high rt score isn't that surprising, i do think that audience score will be a bit lower though.

i think 87 max, i predict 85 though. higher than dunkirk but lower than many crowd pleaser that nolan released.

Hoping for at least a B+ Cinemascore. This one will be different to extrapolate vs usual blockbusters though I think, since the audience sample is gonna run into headwinds about what the film actually is.

Edited by MrPink

33 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Because I'm too lazy to look it up, when was the last weekend with two very wide releases to both have 90% RT scores?

Seems like Barbie will fall in the high 80s (still a very solid score) so the last time we got 2 wide movies with similar %RT scores was April 2022, with Northman scoring 90%, and Unbearable Weight of Talent scoring 87%, although that one has a notably lower average (7.30) than Barbie.

Edit: another weekend with 2 solid %RT was June 13 2014, but then again, averages were notably lower

-How To Train Your Dragon 2: 92% RT, 7.8 Avg

-22 Jump Street: 84% RT, 7.00 Avg 

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I have seen Tenet at least half a dozen times and I find it have a great repeat value. That said I agree on the lead. I wish JDW had the charisma of his father. 

Tenet is definitely not on my top Nolan movies but it was still quite an enjoyable movie for me. I am surprised people actually hate it that much. Though I will say JDW is the first time I don't love Nolan's casting of the main character. He's not charismatic enough. Loved Rob Pattinson though. Young me actually disliked him for not looking like what I imagined Cedric Diggory to look like hahaha. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

These reviews are terrific. I'm particularly happy to hear that for many the film has emotional resonance. My favourite Nolan films are those that succeed on an emotional level. We already know his craft is excellent in all of the other ways.

When is the last time that we had two critically acclaimed films opening on the same weekend with both looking to make a significant splash at the box office? This is such a treat.

Peace,

Mike

100%. Definitely Nolan's biggest weakness as a filmmaker, so it's great if this is the exception to the rule.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Will this be the best reviewed wide release since little women on MC?

Tar from last year had a wide release and was 91 metacritic score.

https://observer.com/2023/07/oppenheimer-review-a-bio-pic-a-mystery-a-polemic-and-also-excellent/

Nolan has assembled a huge cast of character actors consisting of about half of Hollywood’s white dudes, but it’s a particular showcase for performers with creepy eyes and punchable faces. Oppenheimer offers a murder’s row of actors you would cast as serial killers — Dane DeHaan, David Dastmalchian, Casey Affleck, Rami Malik, Benny Safdie — and utilizes each of them perfectly. This helps to raise star Cillian Murphy, who filled the serial-killer space in Nolan’s Batman Begins, to the relative position of Handsome Leading Man.

:rofl:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Saw this other Tweet from him. Comes across pretty self-important, especially given the number of legit critics on MetaCritic that have not exactly been trashing the movie. Nothing wrong with being in the minority, but don't accuse others of having less valid thoughts. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Hoping for at least a B+ Cinemascore. This one will be different to extrapolate vs usual blockbusters though I think, since the audience sample is gonna run into headwinds about what the film actually is.

I'm expecting somewhere around B/B+ too. 

Only Dunkirk got a A- which is around what we expect from the RT/meta scores that it got.

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Because I'm too lazy to look it up, when was the last weekend with two very wide releases to both have 90% RT scores?

42 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Seems like Barbie will fall in the high 80s (still a very solid score) so the last time we got 2 wide movies with similar %RT scores was April 2022, with Northman scoring 90%, and Unbearable Weight of Talent scoring 87%, although that one has a notably lower average (7.30) than Barbie.

Edit: another weekend with 2 solid %RT was June 13 2014, but then again, averages were notably lower

-How To Train Your Dragon 2: 92% RT, 7.8 Avg

-22 Jump Street: 84% RT, 7.00 Avg 

Okay, so I actually went and checked every weekend in retrospective and I found when was the last time 2 movies opened above 90% on Rotten Toamtoes. 
It was during 2018, one has a 97% while the other has a 91% (I bet you won't ever find out which one was).

Spoiler

USnlBmV.jpg

ZprkirN.jpg

Edit: Nolan already opened a movie in the 90%+ along another 90%+ movie. In fact, both actually have the same percentage!

Spoiler

2alIgod.jpg
JGwzfaP.jpg

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 1

I hate Dunkirk. Dull, boring, some overlong scenes, little dialogue (made me yawn). The 3-way plot that Nolan was using when the scene jump from plot to plot to plot over and over again kinda threw me off from the movie. But the scenes when all that different plots combined into each other and created one coherent story were refreshing and satisfying at least. Gonna give it that.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Down to 93% on RT, but I can't see the updated number of reviews. I still believe in my prediction that this will end with a lower RT than Barbie but a higher average rating.

93 106 reviews

Edit: But back up to 94 @ ??? reviews.

Edited by djbayko

Just now, Claudio said:

Anyways…. #RDJsweeps for Oscar Supporting Actor!!!! (Hasn’t seen the film yet but I’ll always root him to win an Oscar at least once in his career).

It would be awesome to see RDJ get nominated. But more than that, I hope he will work with Nolan in the future too. Maybe he can be the lead guy in a Nolan movie soon. 

• Like 2