Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Fucking blows about Indy, summer 2022 really blows outside Top Gun

Top Gun 2 is fucked sandwiched between Strange and Jurassic. Strange is not exactly the same demo, but Jurassic will cut its legs

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Top Gun 2 is fucked sandwiched between Strange and Jurassic. Strange is not exactly the same demo, but Jurassic will cut its legs

100m OW over Memorial Day imo. This is my bold prediction for 2022. My one hill to die on.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

100m OW over Memorial Day imo. This is my bold prediction for 2022. My one hill to die on.

For Top Gun?

If that's what you mean.... I think 100m DOM would be good barrier for its total to break. No chance does it have of making that on OW. And it's my most anticipated blockbuster of next year's Summer lol.

The good news about Doctor Strange moving is that it now gives The Batman and Turning Red more breathing room since March was clearly banking on all 3 of those to carry it (even if Turning's audience overlap with the other two wasn't overly severe). Another set of release date musical chairs across Hollywood is most likely about to commence.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For Top Gun?

If that's what you mean.... I think 100m DOM would be good barrier for its total to break. No chance does it have of making that on OW. And it's my most anticipated blockbuster of next year's Summer lol.

yeah, the little hype it had, it's gone. Look what happened to Bond

Edited by Maggie
  • ...wtf 1

Apparently the Marvel moves were due to production-related issues and not the pandemic or anything so it makes sense everything moved back. For example The Marvels was supposed to come out in almost a year in its original release date and yet I don't think it's even begun shooting yet (little to nothing in the way of cast announcements, etc.)? Not enough time to make and release a really expensive blockbuster working on such a tight schedule and deadline.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

We didn't get anything but I guess Turning Red take Mar 25?

I thought that at first too as I thought The Batman would take a small silver of families and males but apparently it’s missing out on spring break.

Bullet Train would be a good choice for the 3/25/22 slot.

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I thought that at first too as I thought The Batman would take a small silver of families and males but apparently it’s missing out on spring break.

Bullet Train would be a good choice for the 3/25/22 slot.

Ohh. Spring breaks start March 9 per Google, well then it shall stick there.

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What about John Wick? (if it's ready)

Doubt so, they are still filming in Paris and will move to Tokyo thereafter and might film till Christmas from what I heard. Not sure whether enough time for post production.

I won't be surprised if WB moves The Batman back by 3 weeks to take the slot.

Off nearly 1m to below 50m 

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Oct 14, 2021 P $4,850,000   2,950 $1,644   $4,850,000  
Oct 15, 2021 1 $22,830,935   3,705 $6,162   $22,830,935 1
Oct 16, 2021 1 $17,324,690 -24% 3,705 $4,676   $40,155,625 2
Oct 17, 2021 1 $9,249,355 -47% 3,705 $2,496   $49,404,980 3
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Depth is a pretty straightforward lagging function of product releases. Sep 10-24 we're absolutely dire, which is the exact lag to manifest in a dearth of 1M+ in Oct. The October releases will fix the depth issue by early Nov.

This is a good point. Hopefully October is the first domino towards a deeper, more normal looking box office.

If Top Gun 2 is a good movie and especially a crowd-pleaser then everything is ok.

I also had the feeling that the hype decreased a bit for NTTD before the release. But I'm not sure when and why. Maybe because the marketing didn't deliver something extraordinary or because the reviews were released pretty late and were just good, Idk.

But that doesn't mean that the same will happen to Top Gun 2. At first (as mentioned several times in the last few weeks) Bond is more of an European respectively WW thing and Top Gun more of an US thing (and could attract a WW audience due to the trailer(s) and marketing).
Secondly Tom Cruise is (also WW) a way bigger draw than Daniel Craig. And say what you want about T. Cruise but the work and passion he put in (most) of his recent films just makes me feel way more optimistic (and I'm not even a fan of the 1986 film).
Finally Spectre wasn't really well liked by fans.

Of course the target audience for Jurassic World: Dominion is partly similar but OTOH JW: Fallen Kingdom also had a so-so reception by critics and moviegoers (e.g. only 6.2/10 on imdb, 47% & 48% at RT.). And it gained "only" 2/3 of Jurassic World (ok, it still was a giant success).

Edited by el sid

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Off nearly 1m to below 50m 

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Oct 14, 2021 P $4,850,000   2,950 $1,644   $4,850,000  
Oct 15, 2021 1 $22,830,935   3,705 $6,162   $22,830,935 1
Oct 16, 2021 1 $17,324,690 -24% 3,705 $4,676   $40,155,625 2
Oct 17, 2021 1 $9,249,355 -47% 3,705 $2,496   $49,404,980 3

As soon as @charlie Jatinder reported the Sunday number I knew this was going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, el sid said:

If Top Gun 2 is a good movie and especially a crowd-pleaser then everything is ok.

I also had the feeling that the hype decreased a bit for NTTD before the release. But I'm not sure when and why. Maybe because the marketing didn't deliver something extraordinary or because the reviews were released pretty late and were just good, Idk.

But that doesn't mean that the same will happen to Top Gun 2. At first (as mentioned several times in the last few weeks) Bond is more of an European respectively WW thing and Top Gun more of an US thing (and could attract a WW audience due to the trailer(s) and marketing).
Secondly Tom Cruise is (also WW) a way bigger draw than Daniel Craig. And say what you want about T. Cuise but the work and passion he put in (most) of his recent films just makes me feel way more optimistic (and I'm not even a fan of the 1986 film).
Finally Spectre wasn't really well liked by fans.

Of course the target audience for Jurassic World: Dominion is partly similar but OTOH JW: Fallen Kingdom also had a so-so reception by critics and moviegoers (e.g. only 6.2/10 on imdb, 47% & 48% at RT.). And it gained "only" 2/3 of Jurassic World (ok, it still was a giant success).

The Jurassic franchise is nearly critic-proof. The Cinemascore was A- so it wasn't super hated by audiences (remember this was before RT verified the audience scores). I could see a drop from some franchise fatigue but I don't think the reception will hurt it too much.