Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

The French Dispatch is in 50 theaters across various states (as opposed to the typical 4-5 in LA/NY for a highly buzzed indie debuting in platform release) so around $30K PTA for the weekend is certainly good news, even if it's helped by the fact Anderson has a fairly young following and the numbers overall aren't anywhere nearly as explosive as, say, The Grand Budapest Hotel posting a $200K+ from just 4 theaters.

• Like 2

It's my sister's birthday today and she isn't really interested in Dune and my buddy can't see it till tomorrow. so I have to wait till then to watch it. (Because i refuse to watch it on HBOMAX... even though I have a subscription)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Honestly for me I...don't get the PLF hype? Outside of the fact that I'm a cheapskate who doesn't like paying extra, I can watch a movie just fine even if it's in a crummy projection area. I saw Shang-Chi in IMAX and it didn't really change anything for me (though I'm aware that's probably a case of just the movie or something). And really, if you think you absolutely need to see a movie in IMAX or whatever to get out of something, I feel like that says to the movie that it can't stand on its own and that it's not entertaining unless you get some extra bells and whistles.

I'm seeing Dune later today, and despite everybody saying how it must be seen in IMAX and I will miss out on so much without IMAX...I'm just going to the 2D show. If I need to see a movie in a PLF in order to like it, then it says to me maybe the movie isn't very good or holds up on its own.

I agree that any movie should be able to stand on its own, but this is one of the few times were the PLF hype is legit. I watched Shang-Chi in IMAX as well and that did nothing for me, but this? It's not that I don't think you can watch it and get something out of it on a regular screen, it's that watching this movie is an experience. It's legitimately one of the most immersive and amazing audiovisual theater experiences I've ever had. It's clear it was made for the big screen format. I only watched it in IMAX though so don't have anything to compare it to.

Either way, have a good time and let us know what you think!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm more than happy with anything above BR2049 cause doomsayers predicted below that number. But close to 40M is just awesome. :excited:

It's fine. HBOMAX is a box office killer. WB really dropped the ball with that this year. hope they never do it again, its embarrassing. it means despite everything this movie WOULD have been a hit for WB. but they are a balless company so they had to give up box office for streaming security. it might not even hit $100m with a 40m opening.  

Could pick up 12 movies over 1M next weekend, for those people who were worried about depth.   

Also like 4 new wide releases over 3M, perhaps? Still not much insight into how Soho/MHA/Antlers/Dispatch expansion will do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Could pick up 12 movies over 1M next weekend, for those people who were worried about depth.   

Also like 4 new wide releases over 3M, perhaps? Still not much insight into how Soho/MHA/Antlers/Dispatch expansion will do.

Last Night in Soho is the only opener that's likely to approach double digits (though I'm thinking it does just below $10M). Dispatch should do alright in expansion but the rest of the openers will be DOA.

Edited by filmlover

Depressing numbers for Bond. Older adults are staying away from theaters. A known IP is doing such pitiful numbers while youngsters enjoy stuff like Shang Chi.

Curious about Eternals, which to me skews more adult than something like Shang Chi

Edited by Maggie

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean sure

I become more convinced by the day that some of y'all on this forum are the "sources" that Box Office writer for the major trades speak of. 

Anyway, great job nailing the number! Will be interesting to see how it does today and tomorrow. What does a TSS-like weekend (as far as drops) lead to based on Friday?