Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

But yeah, to carry on about bad week to week friday drops, and the drops for No Time to Die and Venom in general... Yeah these 2 movies are at the point in their runs where I feel like they should be having closer to low40s/high30% drops week to week. Really sucks to see their still dropping 50% pretty consistently.

Over crowding, and having to hand over PLFs after 1 week really fucked things up a bit for these movies.

Edited by Pinacolada

Was hoping 40 plus for Dune but it’ll still score highest OW for a Max thing right? That’s a win. Now let’s hope idiots stream it too since WB made it clear Max streams will matter in their sequel calculations.

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Was hoping 40 plus for Dune but it’ll still score highest OW for a Max thing right? That’s a win. Now let’s hope idiots stream it too since WB made it clear Max streams will matter in their sequel calculations.

Deadline reported the other day that the worldwide target for Dune was 300M. It's going to easily get there.

And yes, it is going to do the biggest opening of any HBO Max movie. So you'd probably expect it would do similarly on streaming.

• Like 1

Do we have any good indication yet of where the WW weekend is heading for Dune? If it's doing about $35-40M domestic and $20ishM in China, then surely it will go over the projected $70M. Is $80-90M a possibility? I don't have the knowledgebase of the other foreign markets to hazard a guess. 

• Like 1

Those are some absolutely terrible numbers all around. HBO Max really is a killer for these movies. It is just too big unlike Peacock. Meanwhile, all holdhovers decided that it was a good weekend to die. :sadfleck:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Do we have any good indication yet of where the WW weekend is heading for Dune? If it's doing about $35-40M domestic and $20ishM in China, then surely it will go over the projected $70M. Is $80-90M a possibility? I don't have the knowledgebase of the other foreign markets to hazard a guess. 

Over 80, but closer to 80 than 90.

seeing as we regularly find PLF have such a significant percentage of a new movie’s overall OW number I was thinking….

isn’t it time theaters started adding to their likely one PLF screen per multiplex?

Audiences keep proving they’re happy to pay big money to watch the event movies in IMAX (lie-max), Dolby Vision etc. 

The limited time a movie can spend in one of these screens before being booted out because another is contracted to take over - it seems detrimental to me. 

I think plenty, if they miss the boat on week one, then choose to not see a movie if they can’t get that PLF experience. Are theaters being naive here in not converting more screens to a standard of presentation crowds are literally voting for every weekend?

I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong and there are generally more than one of these types of screens at multiplexes, but I don’t think I am?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

seeing as we regularly find PLF have such a significant percentage of a new movie’s overall OW number I was thinking….

isn’t it time theaters started adding to their likely one PLF screen per multiplex?

I feel like the exhibition community is complaining too much and making demands instead of doing something about dwindling audiences themselves. Sorry but plenty of auditoriums are just not up to snuff. Either picture is blurry and have a low contrast, or sound is too low and bass is lacking. I refuse to pay for a subpar experience. Sure, you lack the social aspect watching something at home but from an audio / visual standpoint you can get a better experience without having to spend a fortune (preferably if you have a house or tolerant neighbors). Home theater equipment has come a long way.

Sad 😞. The last number I saw in the tracking thread was that it could get 14M true Friday (and that 13M are likely with not too bad walk-ups) and now it gets only 4M more than TSS true Friday.

I was pretty sure that after this weekend part 2 is announced but now...with very probably a big drop next weekend...I fear that a second part is in danger. They could say it's because of HBO Max but also that it's too much of a niche film (for its budget).

1 minute ago, el sid said:

Sad 😞. The last number I saw in the tracking thread was that it could get 14M true Friday (and that 13M are likely with not too bad walk-ups) and now it gets only 4M more than TSS true Friday.

I was pretty sure that after this weekend part 2 is announced but now...with very probably a big drop next weekend...I fear that a second part is in danger. They could say it's because of HBO Max but also that it's too much of a niche film (for its budget).

Don’t be sad, they’ll still make part 2. 

• Like 1