Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

8 minutes ago, Kalo said:

It's fine. HBOMAX is a box office killer. WB really dropped the ball with that this year. hope they never do it again, its embarrassing. it means despite everything this movie WOULD have been a hit for WB. but they are a balless company so they had to give up box office for streaming security. it might not even won't hit $100m with a 40m opening.  

FTFY:).

Just now, Starphanluke said:

I become more convinced by the day that some of y'all on this forum are the "sources" that Box Office writer for the major trades speak of. 

Naa, they wouldn't be wrong that often if that was the case.

Jokes apart, its not too hard to have access to numbers, and many of them like Gitesh are doing this before I was born, so give them the credit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Naa, they wouldn't be wrong that often if that was the case.

Jokes apart, its not too hard to have access to numbers, and many of them like Gitesh are doing this before I was born, so give them the credit.

True, Gitesh is the real deal. Others I'm not so fond of *coughs* Forbes *coughs*

• Like 1

Some of Deadline bits.

Between Thursday and Friday, there was a significant amount of moviegoers who decided to see Dune at the last minute with 67% of the crowd either buying their tickets the day of or the day before.

BS. That's like almost every movie of this size. If anything, Dune is lower than usual. Normal films normally get 2/3rd of its gross in walk ins on opening day. 67% buying in last two days is not exactly too much last minute audience.

In addition, Imax and PLFs are pulling in cinema diehards delivering an awesome 52% of the gross.

24% IMAX and 28% other PLFs.

Demo turnout were Men over 25 (44%), Females over 25 (26%), Men under 25 (17%), and Females under 25 (13%), with guys under 25 giving the pic its best grade of 87%. Older demo here at 21% over 45, but also the moviegoing demo of 18-34 at 55% showing up. Diversity demos were 55% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic and Latino, 9% African American and 9% Asian.

30% under 25. 70% over 25. 61% Men. White audience film.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-weekend-box-office-1234860683/

Dune posted the best opening day for a Warner Bros. theatrical HBO Max day and date title and filmmaker Denis Villeneuve with $17.5M. While Warners is calling the weekend $33M, rivals believes it’s higher in the high $30Ms range which would indicate a record weekend for a Warner HBO Max title and the filmmaker as we

Dune is a great cushion for exhibition to land on as October winds down and we hand off to Disney/Marvel’s Eternals which we’re hearing is expected to open to around $80M

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Will Halloween Kills even get to a 2x multiplier?

Nope. It's likely gonna still see a 40% drop next weekend due to the weak WOM that's already crippling it and will die immediately once that weekend is over. Not that it matters since it's already highly profitable.

14 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

I become more convinced by the day that some of y'all on this forum are the "sources" that Box Office writer for the major trades speak of. 

Anyway, great job nailing the number! Will be interesting to see how it does today and tomorrow. What does a TSS-like weekend (as far as drops) lead to based on Friday?

$39.4m

Deadline don’t half talk some trash. 

Plenty of those youngsters who would have shown up for Dune watched it on their iPads on Thursday night. Actually probably the weekend before when the 1080p rip was strutting its stuff. 

That it’ll end up doing pretty well in the circumstances is amazing really, as WB screwed it royally. If I wasn’t so hung up on Villeneuve returning to bring us the second half I’d be calling out for him to leave them like Nolan has. 

The Last Duel was banished to the smallest theaters pretty much everywhere following its already dismal numbers last week so not surprised by its horrific hold. Was planning on catching the movie in theaters before it left but guess I'll just have to wait for PVOD in a couple of weeks now.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Isn't Wes Anderson's audience millennials with disposable income rather than the older gen X and boomers

yes, to a degree I guess. 

he is indeed a brand. So is Ridley Scott though. Either way, Dispatch doing well is welcome news. 

Solid start, and unless MAX numbers are DOA (no chance) the sequel is guaranteed. Gonna be really curious to see what those look like on Tuesday.

I wasn't able to go see it last night, but I heard nothing but raves from people I know who did.

29 minutes ago, Kalo said:

it might not even hit $100m with a 40m opening.  

$100m is far more important barrier to cross than whether OW is $39+ or $40m+. Not for the audiences but financiers pitching it.

Though as said, Part 2 is coming and the more Dune gets over $300m WW and HBO Max sells, the more leeway Villeneuve gets, and more spinoff projects are born. So not meaningless, but the main thing is achieved: the Part 2 is coming.

Now, for the love of god, announce it and use it to drive more people to watch Dune instead of having some half-baked WB exec announcement in irrelevant channels.

• Like 1

I think Dune may be least impacted HBO Max release due to HBO Max release. The target audience are cine-buffs, who care about stuff like watching it in IMAX for technical reasons. Of course there is impact but not as much as TSS.

The most impacted are GvK & TSS IMO. Both would have done double what they did IMO.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Plenty of those youngsters who would have shown up for Dune watched it on their iPads on Thursday night. Actually probably the weekend before when the 1080p rip was strutting its stuff. 

After the cinema and other platform releases this would be great. The more see it ultimately, the better. Now it of course cannibalises this release but the more eyeballs Dune gets now and between the Dune Part 2 (hopefully theater only release with higher PLF market penetration) and BAM!