Eric Furiosa

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

36 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Could someone tell what these quorum numbers are and how are they measured?

If they are general interest and awareness numbers on the general population, they are pretty pointless. The more the niche movie the more targeted info you need, I.e. how many of your potential viewership (and that needs to be sliced into smaller groups too) is aware and how interested in seeing it. In short, if it's general public, the correlation to box office must be weak or non-existent. Only the largest movies like Avatar or movies that make $1-2B+ in BO might have a bit stronger correlation.

Any research or statistics on this and not just anecdotal pointers?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Another shakeup with the "Sisterhoof of Bene Gesserat" spinoff TV series. As a fan of the books, I was always skeptical about this.

That show is either going to be really great or suck hard. No middle ground with this one. I like a lot of the cast and having one of showrunners of Altered Carbon on board is a good choice but anything outside of the original Frank Herbert novels hasn't been that great imo.

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Another shakeup with the "Sisterhoof of Bene Gesserat" spinoff TV series. As a fan of the books, I was always skeptical about this.

Yeah, after my two initial reactions to this two years ago with the sentiment that more Dune is always a good thing, I've been following this more like "I have a bad feeling about this...". I sense that it was greenlit with the modern zeitgeist of bringing more female representation and specially powerful women. And that's okay, especially since that's what the Bene Gesserat is all about. But then looking at the people behind it at the time gave the sense that representation was first and story second. For Dune you would need a crew like Terry Matalis build for Picard season 3 or what Jodorowsky build for the never-made Dune (well, not that extreme :). A combination of creative vision and respect for the source material.

Just watched the first one today and I LOVE ITTT.

The movie looks beautiful. Interesting premise. Full of political theme and promises of rebellion to come. Serious tone. Romance. Fantasy elements. Insane world building. Also a novel adaptation.. 
Kinda reminds me of may favorite novel adaptation saga ever: Hunger Games.

The epic sci-fi edition of Hunger Games.

HYPEDDD FOR THE SECOND PART 

:ohmygod:

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I am asurprised how few people have read the novel. It is one of the great classics of Science Fiction. There is a reason why there were two previous attempts to film it.

Unfortunately it's not a part of most school curriculums. Most scifi classics, like 1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451, are read in school. 

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am asurprised how few people have read the novel. It is one of the great classics of Science Fiction. There is a reason why there were two previous attempts to film it.

I read it years ago but I'm not surprised its reputation precedes its popularity. The prose is very dry and it throws you into the world quite abruptly. I'm glad I persevered with it but the fact is I did have to persevere.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Halba said:

Looks freagin amazing! just incredible trailer. pity it wont win any major oscars as its more sci/fi action type.

Part one won two major Oscars - Editing and Cinematography - on top of 4 tech ones. So yes it will win major Oscars again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Squire said:

Dune Part Two to Run Over 3 Hours?

Rumored early cut of the movie is 3 hours 15 minutes. I don’t think the Final Cut will be THAT long, but I think around 3 hours is pretty likely. 

Considering a lot of the stuff in the second half of the book, I'd believe it. It's going to be very, VERY dense.